• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Leatherface in Love

Hi,
I'm making a short film entitled Leatherface in Love. It's a horror-inspired dark comedy. We are shooting it on 16mm film, which is expensive. We are starving artists who will survive one way or the other, but you can make our lives a little easier and help us ease the burden of these costs by donating at the link below. Any contribution at all would be greatly appreciated and I guarantee you won't regret your investment.

Leatherface in Love Indiegogo Campaign

Let me know if you have any questions or comments regarding the film. Thanks!

Hello new dude :cool:

A few questions:
Did you have permission to use the Leather-face mask and name? I believe you could get in legal trouble sending the film to festivals and/or earning profit from youtube or an online short film distribution site.

Why did you decide on 16mm? Couldn't you save money shooting digital?

Call it old-fashioned, purist, nostalgic... but I want to make films the same way my heroes did. I'm drawn to the aesthetic qualities of film and all of its beautiful imperfections. When shooting on film, I experience all the excitement of traditional filmmaking: the feeling of professionalism, the live experimentation and sense of never knowing exactly what you're going to get, a real connection to my influences, and the overall challenge of my artistic ability that the process presents. In other words, it provides a level of gratification that I don't feel when shooting digitally.

Okay.

That's great, but you are increasing the possibly of disaster. Have you heard of Murphy's law? I don't think it's worth it to make people give you money so that you can "experience the excitement of traditional filmmaking and the feeling of professionalism". Many filmmakers from that generation actually like digital, and think the production of their films could have gone much smoother and easier, and that our generation has a tremendous advantage. I don't understand what's so bad about digital. You do come off as a nostalgic purist to me, but I understand why you would like to use film over digital. Tarantino once said in an interview that the great thing about film is that it forces you to perfect every take, and not wasting a frame a film. He said it taught him to shoot quickly and perfect his shots. I get what you mean.

Will people that are not familiar with the TCM films "get it"?

Anyway, I'm just curious. I wish you the best of luck :)

Hey, thanks for your reply and interest,

I've had the same questions about copyright issues. I got in touch with the director of the short fan film Jason vs. Leatherface. It has over a million views on youtube so I asked him if he has ever had any copyright issues. He went over a little bit about how movie companies can't copyright film titles, etc. and said he's never had any problems and I shouldn't worry about it. He just said don't use the copyrighted music. I'm not selling this film or making any sort of profit at all. Also, the masks that we use are original hand-made leather masks that we made ourselves.

Believe it or not the story is very human and relatable. I've shown the script to people who have never even seen any Texas Chainsaw Massacre films, and they enjoyed and understood it.

Yeah, you're right, using film does increase the possibility of disaster I guess. But this isn't my first time using film. I'm not convincing people to give me money so I can experiment with film and possibly fail. Every film I've made over the past two years has been shot on film. I know what I'm doing. It's personal opinion, but I think film looks much better than digital. I'm not anti-digital, I just like film. The thing that Tarantino said applies to my process as well. I think that all young filmmakers should use film at one point or another, so they can have that experience of perfecting every take and not wasting any time or film. Bottom line, I just think that using film generally provides for a better-looking, more well-crafted product. But like I said, it's all personal opinion. Film is more expensive, but in my mind, it's well worth it. I guess I'm trying to find others who feel the same way and want to support the use of film.

Hey, thanks for your reply and interest,

You're welcome! I'd help back it if I had the money.

Yeah, you're right, using film does increase the possibility of disaster I guess. But this isn't my first time using film.

It's good that you have some experience with film. Just remember what Tarantino said about trying the hardest you can at perfecting each take.

I'm not convincing people to give me money so I can experiment with film and possibly fail.

First off, I never said possibly fail. I just noticed that you had a graph showing what the money was going to go to. 65% of it is going to the purchasing and developing of film. I just thought you could save money by shooting it on digital, which would cut down most of the costs.

Every film I've made over the past two years has been shot on film. I know what I'm doing. It's personal opinion, but I think film looks much better than digital. I'm not anti-digital, I just like film. The thing that Tarantino said applies to my process as well. I think that all young filmmakers should use film at one point or another, so they can have that experience of perfecting every take and not wasting any time or film. Bottom line, I just think that using film generally provides for a better-looking, more well-crafted product. But like I said, it's all personal opinion. Film is more expensive, but in my mind, it's well worth it. I guess I'm trying to find others who feel the same way and want to support the use of film.

I would argue against your point about how film is superior to digital, but like you said, the film vs. digital thing is all a matter of opinion. Personally, I don't really care what I or others shoot on, I care how they shoot it :)

It sounds like you have everything very planned out and prepared, which is where many low budget shorts go wrong. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope to see it at some point.

:welcome:

Back