• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Short stories involving a pool

sfoster

Staff Member
I've been thinking about writing another short story, and it occurred to me that my parents have a really nice pool and landscaped area I could use to film.

Seems like a good opportunity, but I've got to take advantage of it while the weather is still hot!

Any thoughts on what the story should be?
I doubt I'll have any problem getting people to come over for a pool party.

First, what are the top few film genres you'd like to work with?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genres

Next, what are some genres you'd just as soon avoid, if possible?

Third, think this'll go straight to youtube or maybe onto submission to a regional festival or two?
The reason being that if for a festival knowing what subject material they are or are not interested in may be useful in crafting potential story candidates.

Fourth, what age group do you believe you could cast a pool-oriented story with?
Teens, post-highschool teens, and college "kids" might have different stories that seem appropriate.

Fifth, is your parent's house and pool in the 'burbs or in somewhat of a more rural or isolated location?

First, what are the top few film genres you'd like to work with?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_genres

Next, what are some genres you'd just as soon avoid, if possible?

Third, think this'll go straight to youtube or maybe onto submission to a regional festival or two?
The reason being that if for a festival knowing what subject material they are or are not interested in may be useful in crafting potential story candidates.

Fourth, what age group do you believe you could cast a pool-oriented story with?
Teens, post-highschool teens, and college "kids" might have different stories that seem appropriate.

Fifth, is your parent's house and pool in the 'burbs or in somewhat of a more rural or isolated location?

lots of forests and no neighbors in frame
age group mid 20s-30s mostly

just youtube.. if that. more of a self improvement exercise, I am still earning my stripes

genre.. not erotica, action, or mystery

How about the pool being a gateway to another dimension?

Protagonist has pool installed, but doesn't have chance to try it out. Plans pool party. Strange things happen in build up to party (perhaps the dog disappears, etc.). Friends have pool party. Gateway opens up. Then.... Something happens.... That part's down to you!

That's all I've got right now. Good luck!

Super.

Might take a few days to cogitate on this before figuring out something useful.

In the meanwhile peruse this and see if it jiggles some puzzle pieces together for you:
http://www.youtube.com/user/CartoonTemplate/videos
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=47026

I think templates are good for refining ideas, but I don't have an idea yet.

How about the pool being a gateway to another dimension?

Protagonist has pool installed, but doesn't have chance to try it out. Plans pool party. Strange things happen in build up to party (perhaps the dog disappears, etc.). Friends have pool party. Gateway opens up. Then.... Something happens.... That part's down to you!

That's all I've got right now. Good luck!

Haha the dog disappears, that is funny.
Hot tub time machine portal is good too, I'll have to think on that if I can come up with a good idea for the other dimension. Maybe you end up in john malkovich

I had another idea just now.. it's such a great looking location, maybe I should do a romantic comedy!

I loved how relaxing everything looked in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

The host can throw a pool party with the intention of setting up two friends with each other

Last edited:
Host throws the party to set up two people. Whle sitting by the pool, having lunch, they hit it off really well - in fact it's love at first site, they're soul mates. They're laughing and joking around and one pushes the other into the pool as a joke... but it's only been 10 minutes since they ate! They cramp up and drown - the other person can't jump in for fear that they too will die, and neither can anyone else because they all just finished lunch. So they just stand there and watch as their soulmate drowns because they pushed them in. the end.

IDOM, I kinda like that one. :yes:

It could easily be adapted to the Cartoon Template I did for 'Get Rich Quick Porky'.
MacGuffin must have three possible values.
Introduced at middle value
Discovered/thought to be at lowest value
Re-discovered to be at highest value!
Now... invert that!
MacGuffin must have three possible values.
Introduced at middle value
Discovered/thought to be at highest value
Re-discovered to be at lowest value!

1. Protag doesn't want to leave his phobia filled nerdy single-guy daily routine go to the pool social thing.
  2. Reluctantly goes.
  3. Discovers the love of his life - a fellow phobia filled nerdy single-girl there against her better judgement.
  4. They stay and chat long after the others have retreated indoors.
  5. The alone time sees a bounty crop of a potentially life changing union between them!
  6. But because of their mutual phobia of X one inadvertently causes the other to be knocked into the pool where phobia Y stymies the other from doing the incredibly obvious!
  7. Will the protag make the best decision? :yes::no::hmm:

A plain day turns into a great day before it turns into a horrible day!

Back