• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to downsize your movie?

So I'm in the middle of editing my film and when I get done I will be sending it off to a composer. Here is my question how do i downsize this film to send over google? He said I could send it over google drive around 700MB but I'm just wondering how others do this.

When you export your film, you should have the option to export in various settings. You might want to do an export with half the usual dimensions, for example, which will drastically reduce the size of the video file. You probably have options to reduce the overall quality of the video, as well, which can often be fine if the video is just being used as a reference.

If you use Adbobe suite, you can do all this through Adobe Media Encoder.
If you use Apple, I think it's Compressor.
Some peeps find the free Handbrake to be useful for this.
Vegas prolly has its own things.

You should check with our composer to see if (s)he wants a timecode burnt into the video, btw. That can be really handy. It's trivial to do this in Adobe. Unsure about other software.

Fwiw, Microsoft Skydrive can take a file up to 2GB in size if you have a problem squeezing down to your requested 700mb.

Hope that helped :)

ah... FCPX isn't well suited to working with a team... it's not built for it, which is why Apple had such a strong user backlash when they released it.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/607-omf-export-out-of-fcpx-the-long-way-round
http://library.creativecow.net/battistella_david/FCPX-OMF/1

The problem is that your sound engineer is probably going to expect all of the audio tracks on their separate tracks, and FCPX is no longer setup to work this way as tracks have been all but abstracted away, leaving only vague workarounds for getting your content to your team.

There is a converter that will take your project to FCP7, find someone with that, export OMF (or the new audio format, whichever that is, I can't remember just now) and send the resulting file to your sound engineer... FCP7 was built for the high-end professional community, FCPX was created for the much more lucrative (large) community of one person production houses that handle end to end edits in one single application.

The problem is that your sound engineer is probably going to expect all of the audio tracks on their separate tracks......

The project is going to the composer, not to audio post. All most composers get is a rough dialog mix and perhaps a few temp sound effects.

But you're right, Knightly, FCPX is a real dog; it went from a budget professional product to a convoluted consumer toy.

Then, there should be export (sorry, SHARE) options that are made for smaller files, mp4, smaller quicktime exports... just make sure that you have it set to the correct frame rate that you'll be exporting the main one with so it'll match the final audio output from your composer.

Ask your composer what he/she wants: The resolution, size and codec. H264 in a quicktime wrapper is the most common format used for exchange but you should ask. BITC (Burnt In Time Code) is also usually requested.

G

Back