My Plan for the Summer

This thread was inspired by the Low budget movies thread. I was directing this originally in response to APE, but anybody who can point me in the right direction is more than welcome to respond.

---
Let me tell you guys my plan, so you can tear it apart. I want you to. That's the only way I'll find the faults in it.
- I don't want to be the exception. I want to work my way around the system, by thinking my way out of it.
- So what's the plan?
-- The plan is to make a film this year, that looks and feels like a film made by a small studio. It should not look, sound or feel like an independent movie, or a film that was made by some guy named Aveek.
-- But I cannot spend 6 figures. (I just witnessed someone make his movie by selling his house. Now he lives in a basement apt with his gf. I can't do that. I just don't have the balls. My savings is my mental strength)
-- So I wrote a 'talkie' movie script, that I'm sure I can shoot for $15K or less. I'm also convinced that the subject matter is interesting enough that people will watch it (It's about religion, something everybody has heard of). But I could of course be out of my mind. It could be absolutely boring. But so far, when I tell the story, people seem to want to know more.
-- The goal right now is to start my casting process, so that I have actors that are next to perfect. I think acting is going to be the make or break for how professional the film looks.
-- So after it is finished, the plan of course is festivals, but I don't know if I should be considering other options.

This is my plan right now. I think it's a decent plan for someone in my position, who does not know anyone who will invest 6 or 7 figures. But I can afford 15K down the toilet. It won't affect my life. So I wrote the script to suit the budget. Now I'm trying to prepare myself for the shoot. In my head, despite misgivings, I think it's a decent plan. I don't think I'm trying to be the exception here.

I know how difficult it is to make something look and sound good (cause everytime I do something I find out how quickly my plans fall apart), and I won't touch the project, until I'm certain that I'm prepared enough to get the look and feel I want. I'm shooting a bunch of shorts over the next few weekends to test out some scenarios. I shot something only yesterday. Learned a lot about shooting from a distance.

So what does everyone think of my plan? Do you think I'm dreaming? Or do you think I have my head in the right place? Or do you think I should seek medical advice to have my head examined?

Looking forward to everyone's responses.
Aveek

You're not crazy.

But you need to enlist help at the top level: get a producer. Don't go at this alone. Sharing this journey together with someone else will be that much more rewarding and constructive.

Also, Netflix is your friend. Watch low budget indies on Netflix, and have IMDb on hand for research.

With only $15K, you have the right instinct that it's going to be the acting and writing that will make or break the film, so that should be your focus.

Don't let anyone tell you not to do it. If you feel compelled go for it. Yes the odds are much longer for microbudget indies, but that shoudln't prevent you from telling your story. Think about it: getting a feature made at any budget level is an accomplishment in itself. The worst thing that can happen if it turns out to be a bad movie is that it's ignored, and the best case is that it becomes a calling card for bigger projects down the road. And if you make back most of your $15K, that's icing on the cake.

Making a feature on 15K is very doable. As far as i can remember there are people on this forum who have done it. However IMHO there is no way you can make it look like a studio production. That doesn't mean it can't be a good movie. Like Uhaul said focus on the script and acting.

1. Double-up the genre from 'Religion' to 'Thriller Religion' or 'Speculative Religion.' http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=248612#post248612
  2. Split that $15 budget in two; half for production, half for promotion.
  3. Do you already have a few thousand social media "friends" or "contacts"? Better get ready to start whoring yourself out.
  4. Are you an ACTIVE and CONTRIBUTING member of MULTIPLE forums where the subject(s) of your film's premise is discussed? Better start the hunt and contribute.
  5. 94% of movies watched on the internet are from NetFlix, Amazon and Hulu. Do you know EXACTLY how to get your final cut shown on those venues?http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=294835#post294835
  6. I would also suggest that you ensure your screenplay follows a most marketable three act structure.
  7. And you might wanna have some people who know WTH they're looking at review the screenplay for flow and detail. Story is king! Production is distant small potatoes.

GL!

Last edited:
But you need to enlist help at the top level: get a producer. Don't go at this alone. Sharing this journey together with someone else will be that much more rewarding and constructive.

+1

Directing and producing at the same time is really hard to do. The latter adds all sorts of stresses during production that you could really do without- having someone who can sort out all the little (and big) things will allow you to focus on the creative and technical aspects of the film, without worrying about locations, props, crew, catering...etc.

I think that low-budget talkies are the way to go. $15k spent on sci-fi or horror brings you something knowingly rubbish- all you can do is hope that people see some potential throw the camp. A $15k talkie can actually be a good movie- look at low budget dialogue heavy films like Primer, Like Crazy, After Earth..etc- that scores you a bigger investment for your second feature.

I heartily agree that good actors will be your most valuable commodity. Try and find young, attractive actors where possible, as they're most likely to gain a bit of reputation whilst you're working on the film. Look at people who've had supporting or understudy roles in relatively big theatre productions, as that seems to be where a lot of the top actors start out and has been a useful place for me to look in London. But also do a couple of rounds of auditions, and try and get the actors in together to make sure that they work well with one another. I've seen actors who audition brilliantly, but dry up or become kind of awkward around others. Interaction is the basis of any talkie flick.

But no, you're not mad!

I agree with everyone who's replied so far that it's the way to go, and totally agree re the importance of your actors.

I see you list your location as Toronto - have you been networking with other low budget filmmakers in the area? They may be able to help you find some good actors, either that they used in their movie(s) or even those that they didn't cast but liked (wrong look/style/not available etc). If the local universities have acting programs (and I imagine at least some of them do), that's another good source of talent.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses. APE, I'm still waiting for you to tear my plan apart :)

Uhaul: I agree. I'm going to start looking for a producer, and an AD.
Photon: It can be done photon, it can be done. Technology is our friend.
Ray: Yeah. that's some sage advice. My budget is kind of like 10K for shooting and 5K for promotion. I'm going shoot for about 7 to 10 days (more like 7). Lots of rehearsals, so I should be adequately prepped for the shoot. Have met one sound guy, who's interested. Just worked with him a couple of days ago. He was very professional. A proper DP, and AC is still required.

social media: I'm a little cramped in that department. Have to do some more groundwork.

Nick & Mlesemann: My fingers are crossed. I really hope I'm able to get some good actors. Story is good. It's a version of heaven and hell, I've never heard before, and nobody else has either, cause I came up with it myself. It's interesting. The part about God is okay. nothing spectacular. I'm limited by my imagination. I wish I could have made that part more interesting. But in general, I'm okay with the story.

You guys have been too supportive. I need someone to tell me how my plan sucks, so I can rethink it. C'mon. I need more advice, and more critique, sooner than later.

It doesn't suck.
It needs... supplementing! :yes:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=261158#post261158

Get working on that marketing & promotion. Chop! Chop!
20120412UnderstandingFilmmakingProductionStepsMatrixChart.png

Having a plan is great, and definitely the first step. Your's looks about right. Just be ready for it to go awry and learn to handle it. Awry seems to be the only constant in filmmaking, through the whole process sometimes.

-- So I wrote a 'talkie' movie script, that I'm sure I can shoot for $15K or less. I'm also convinced that the subject matter is interesting enough that people will watch it (It's about religion, something everybody has heard of). But I could of course be out of my mind. It could be absolutely boring. But so far, when I tell the story, people seem to want to know more.

A talkie can be good, but honestly, I think one of the hardest to pull off. Writing a lot of dialogue from (sometimes very) different people is tough. I'd suggest getting as many critical reviews of it as possible, friends and family just don't cut it as reviewers. A good script is is always very important, but in a talkie case, it's crucial.

CraigL

Thanks for all the responses. APE, I'm still waiting for you to tear my plan apart :)

OK, my pleasure! :)

Please bare in mind I do not profess to be an expert in this area, my expertise is in sound for film/TV, I've never been a producer. My advice is solely based on my 20 years as a professional in the business working with professional producers and directors. I have very little experience working on/with the tiny budgets that most indietalkers are used to, I have worked on a couple of tiny budget projects but the vast majority had budgets ranging everywhere from the tens of thousands up to several with budgets in the $6m region. I certainly don't pretend to have all the answers and I'm therefore not going to try and give any! I'm just putting forward some suggestions based on extrapolations and general principles of those professionals I've worked with, general principles which I believe are applicable to virtually any budget level.

Beyond taking it to film festivals, you don't really say what your intentions are for your film. As you state you are following on from the other thread, I take it you are looking to get a return on the $15k you have available and recoup your costs or make a profit, rather than looking at this film as just a personal project/learning experience? If it's the former, I would say that at the moment you don't really have a plan, you have an idea to make a film but not a plan! Like the vast majority of amateur filmmakers with an idea for a film, your first thought is how much budget you can afford and how you can write and make your film within the constraints of that budget. However, this approach seems to me to be completely backwards, relies almost entirely on the hope of almost lottery winning levels of luck and is therefore purely amateurish!!

The first thing you need to do is take a step back from your artistic/aesthetic aspirations for the film and consider that in reality you have to end up with a saleable product. From a business product point of view you have to decide who you are going to try and sell your product to, who your potential customers are, and this is going to require a considerable amount of research, time and effort. Most amateur filmmakers don't seem to think much about who their primary customers are until after they finish making their film, they only seem to consider who their potential secondary customers are, the public who will ultimately view/pay for the product. In the case of something like a youtube film or web-series, you are selling direct to the public, therefore the public is your primary customer and you can plan your budget appropriately. Maybe you can rely almost exclusively on time and effort to market/promote, using only lo/no cost methods of online marketing. If this is the case you might decide to spend almost all of your budget on actually making your film and make a better quality film than you otherwise would have by only spending 2/3 of your budget making the film or you could choose to still make your film for $10k (or even less) and save the rest for another project. Maybe spending $15k on a web-series stands virtually no chance of success without a marketing budget, maybe a $500 budget will drastically increase your chances or maybe you'll need to go to $1K, maybe there is another jump in your chances of success with a $3k marketing budget. This is where the research comes in; what are cost/benefit ratios of the different courses of action and how much risk are you willing to take. The WHOLE point is, rather than just plucking a number out of the air for making your film and marketing, you actually target whatever budget you do have to those areas of your filmmaking which stand the best chance of reducing your risk of failure. This same principle applies to every area of your filmmaking. Again taking a web-series as an example, the web has very low quality expectations when it comes to audio, so you may decide that setting a very lo budget for sound and channelling those funds instead an actor's stipend represents a better cost/benefit ratio. On the other hand you might decide that as the audio standards are so low on the web, maybe spending more on audio represents an opportunity to impress which is worth it's cost/benefit ratio. I personally think in most cases the former would be the most prudent choice but it does depend to some extent on the type of film you want to make.

Sorry we're using some business speak rather than film speak but if you want your filmmaking to be a business (make money) rather than a hobby then surely it's a necessity? The difference between intelligently targeting your budget and largely ignoring the issue because it ruins the fun of filmmaking is the difference between a professional approach to filmmaking and an amateur approach. One is all about reducing the risk/maximising the chances of success, the other is about fun and the impossible dream of walking down the Academy's red carpet.

There are of course more traditional routes for selling your product but with these routes your primary customer is not going to be the public but some sort of distributor or broadcaster. Each different type of distributor/broadcaster represents a different level of potential revenue and therefore has a different product quality expectation and requirement. Obviously, making a product which does not achieve the required levels of quality is the best recipe for financial failure. So, the first course of action is to discover what revenues are realistic, what the quality requirements are and what budget you will need to meet them. In the case of some VOD distributors you might find for example that a realistic revenue for a good film is say $10k, in which case investing $15k in the film would be foolish unless you are very confident you can make a film so good it will attract more than 50% more viewers than the average film which makes $10k. You will need what sort of genres are most successful on VOD and maybe adjust your screenplay accordingly and of course work out the quality requirements and target your budget appropriately. TV is usually another step up from VOD but there are different levels and requirements for TV. While most VOD distribution channels may require consideration of a decent marketing budget, for TV there maybe little need for a marketing budget but instead a plan/budget for getting to meet with those who purchase TV products. Generally, children's TV usually has the lowest requirements and is therefore the cheapest to make, documentaries represent another step up and TV drama another step again. Maybe your film idea would be suitable for adapting for children's TV, maybe it would work as a docu-drama? Obviously there comes a point where meeting the quality requirements becomes unrealistic with $15k. It maybe for example that a realistic budget to make your film as a docu-drama is say $45k, in which case you would have to rely on far greater; talent, contacts, experience and luck, to bridge this funding gap. In practise this will probably mean either taking an unjustifiable risk, shelving the idea for the time being and making something more realistic in the meantime or finding a couple of co-investors.

Obviously, in terms of quality expectations and the costs of meeting them, at the very top is the making of a feature for theatrical distribution and the gap between your budget and the realistic lowest cost is somewhere between 10-100 times. Finding an investor willing to put in that kind of money is extremely unlikely unless there is something very obviously genius about your film idea. Those odds reduce if you have a prior record of making a profit from films, TV content, etc. Another potential or additional route is to take say a third of your budget and make a sublime short based on your film idea, not to make money directly but as promotional material for investors, to demonstrate that you have a great idea and the skill/talent to execute it.

After all this rambling, the question isn't about whether you can make your film for $15k, you could make it for a 100 times less or 1000 times more, your question is backwards. The question is: What do you want to achieve, what are the realistic costs of achieving it, what is your plan to meet those costs and how much risk are you willing to take? You said you want to enter a film festival and that you don't mind loosing your investment. Is the learning experience of making your film and being screened at a festival your desired outcome or do you need to create a product marketable to a particular group of customers? If it's the latter, maybe a film festival is not the route you should looking at or maybe there is a festival which largely caters for your particular group of customers and your plan could include making a product which is simultaneously suitable for both a festival screening and your customer group? In any case, all the above principles still apply. If a festival screening is your desired outcome, then what sort/class of film festival do you want to enter? If it's a major festival like Cannes or Sundance, what are their screening requirements/expectations, how much will it cost to meet those requirements, is there going to be funding gap so big as to make it virtually impossible to meet those expectations, is the risk of trying to meet those expectations so great you are effectively just dreaming? You need to research which festivals are most appropriate/realistic with your budget and then target your budget accordingly. For example, from just the audio side of things, maybe your targeted festival/s can only screen in stereo in which case trying to make a cheap 3.0 mix (or even 5.1 mix) in the hope of getting into a more major festival would be a waste of your resources and you would probably make a far better film (for that particular class of festival) by targeting those funds/resources elsewhere. Ultimately, it all boils down to making the most suitable product for a given market rather than the almost impossible task of making whatever you want and then trying to bend the market to your product.

I hope you now realise that at this point in time you don't really have a plan, all you've got is filmmaking idea and a limit of how much money you can afford to loose. I'm sure I haven't provided you with any useful answers here but maybe I've given you something to think about, something which may affect the way you approach your filmmaking and gives you a better chance of professional success.

G

Why APE you son of a... :)

The purpose of this thread is not to argue 'look, you don't understand... I have a plan.. i just can't explain it.'
No. The purpose is to make the plan better.

I do have a plan APE... let's see if I can explain it a little better.

1. Plan as I said is to make a film that looks like a studio film. You are saying that's not possible with a 15K budget. For now, I'm going to disagree with that.

2. After film is over, the reason for Festivals is really for exposure to potential distributors. If it doesn't get into any festivals, then I'll take the hit, and release it on youtube even. Release it to whoever will take it. At that point it won't matter any more, as the film will probably have failed, and I'll take any viewer anywhere that I can get.

I have thought about the final customer, and that is distributors. I'm not really interested in VOD. That's an argument I don't want to engage in now. VOD and everything else comes, only if I fail to get any traction at the festivals. I have budgeted for sound and video. What I haven't budgeted for is the rest of the production crew. You may be right. Maybe I need a higher budget. But at this moment, I think I can do it for 10K.

I'm not sure I agree with you that writing the script to the budget is amateurish. I think it's a rather mature and practical approach. It's one of the only areas I differ with, amongst many of the filmmakers I know here.

Do I think the story is special? Not really. I think it's interesting. But, as I said, the goal is to pull off a film, which has a combination of story and production value that will be engaging enough for distributors. I think I can do it.

Thanks for your long reply. I truly, truly appreciate your time. But I'll tell you what made me most happy. I didn't read anything there that gave me pause. Maybe I'm crazy, but I like my 'plan' (:)) even better now.

I gotta go, but once again, thanks for your time :).
Aveek

One way, I may suggest, is hook up with a talented computer graphics teenager to either make an animation that you shoot. Or, have a teen wonder matt painter for greenscreen original backgrounds.

I wouldn't mind hooking up with one myself.

Maybe I need a higher budget. But at this moment, I think I can do it for 10K.

Do what for $10k, make a film like a studio? What sort of studio, a studio which makes low budget children's TV movies or a studio like Universal Pictures? And what sort of distributors are you talking about, children's TV distributors for Greece or a major worldwide theatrical distributor like Warner?

Whatever your answer to the last question, you do not have a plan until you know what quality requirements the distributor has and how you are going to meet those requirements. Just saying you've got $10k to make a studio quality film which screens at festivals in order to attract distributors is barely even a coherent idea, let alone an actual plan!

G

Do what for $10k, make a film like a studio? What sort of studio, a studio which makes low budget children's TV movies or a studio like Universal Pictures? And what sort of distributors are you talking about, children's TV distributors for Greece or a major worldwide theatrical distributor like Warner?

Whatever your answer to the last question, you do not have a plan until you know what quality requirements the distributor has and how you are going to meet those requirements. Just saying you've got $10k to make a studio quality film which screens at festivals in order to attract distributors is barely even a coherent idea, let alone an actual plan!

G

Excellent questions there. I'm not sure how they apply to an independent filmmaker. How do your questions apply to Robert Rogdriguez' El Mariachi, or the directors of Blair Witch Project, or paranormal activity? Did they make their movies based on the quality requirements of Warner Bros?

I'm not saying I'm Robert Rodriguez, and I'm not saying I'm the director of a crowd favorite like TBWP, or paranormal. What I'm saying is that I don't have to agree with you that I need to meet technical specifications first. Your questions are valid for someone with funding, who's doing things like they're supposed to be done. I'm not that person. I'm someone with a 10 to 15k budget. I can't think like a professional unfortunately. I am an amateur. I can't spend 30K hiring someone with knowledge of a 3.1 sound system for a 7 day shoot. And if your contention is that with my business model of hiring a DP for $1500 for a 10 day shoot, or a sound guy for $1500 for 10 days (and yes they have to spend all the planning hours with me for free), means that Warner will be unimpressed, whatever my story, and whatever the visuals,... and if your contention is correct, then I guess I'm really screwed. But I'm not sure that I agree with you, that every picture being picked up meets the quality requirements of Warner Bros.

I'm not fighting you APE. From reading your previous post, I realized that all your reservations, and all your professional viewpoints, and your professional approach towards filmmaking did not apply to me. I'm not a professional. I suppose the mistake I made was saying that my film will look like a studio film. So you're absolutely right in asking me "which studio?"

What I meant to say is that the average filmgoer wouldn't be able to tell 'which studio?' The average filmmaker will know, that the production is not of the same level as Iron Man, but they shouldn't be able to tell the difference between my film, and let's say the look and feel of Doubt, which I believe is a Miramax film.

You're right. I don't have a plan, for warner bros. I think I have a plan for a 10 to 15K film. And I'm not saying this with any kind of disrespect. I'm just trying to say that we're operating in completely different worlds. If the likes of Warner will never have anything to do with me, that's okay too. I'm okay with a smaller partner. I am hoping my choice is not Warner or a children's production company, or Warner or a production company in Greece. I'll take a small Canadian production company and be very happy :).

APE, don't think I didn't take your post seriously. I did. What I'm looking for is kinks in my plan. You're planning for war like an established military, "well how can you possibly go to war, without your own death star?" I'm saying, "look, I'm trying to think like a rebel, because I don't have the money for a Death Star" And then you can say, "Whatever,... if you want to play with the big boys then you at least need a Millenium Falcon." I'm saying " Hey baby (please channel in Dave Chappelle), I got the budget for one x-wing fighter baby."

That's what's going on here. I think.

Edit:
ps. By the Way, since I've seen that you worked on a couple of low budget stuff, Would you be interested in working on mine if the script inspires you? I'll pay for your ticket, and you can also have the budgeted $1500 (you can have $3000 for that matter), as long as you are willing to sleep in my apt (cause I can't also pay for a hotel), and I'll take the couch. I'll buy you new sheets. Just think of my apartment as a trailer, with an old friend from a forum crashing your couch. And Toronto's a very nice place. All kinds of food and people here, if you're the adventurous type.

Last edited:
I know this is going to sound crazy but... I totally agree with most of what APE had to say.

-- So after it is finished, the plan of course is festivals, but I don't know if I should be considering other options.

Why wouldn't you?

2. After film is over, the reason for Festivals is really for exposure to potential distributors. If it doesn't get into any festivals, then I'll take the hit, and release it on youtube even. Release it to whoever will take it. At that point it won't matter any more, as the film will probably have failed, and I'll take any viewer anywhere that I can get.

My problem with this is that getting it into (significant) festivals, and then getting picked up for distribution, is a long shot. That doesn't mean it's not worth taking, but I don't think it's a wise approach to say that if you don't achieve that it's failed and you'll just take the hit. There's such a huge range of options outside of that approach that you aught to be planning for several alternatives.

To paraphrase Jean Renoir - "(Getting picked up for distribution) is a wonderful thing, but if it doesn't come, you have to have an elaborate plan as a backup."

Rayw's already hit on the marketing aspect, which I think is a key thing you could do to fill in your 'elaborate plan'. Whether it's to get into festivals, or get a distributor interested, or sell DVD's directly when that fails - having a potential audience lined up when the film is finished will put you way ahead of most other independent films that don't even start thinking about that until the film is done. Doing some level of marketing yourself early on also forces you into the same mindset as potential distributors and can help set out the direction you take the film so that it's ultimately more appealing to them.

I'm not sure I agree with you that writing the script to the budget is amateurish. I think it's a rather mature and practical approach. It's one of the only areas I differ with, amongst many of the filmmakers I know here.

I missed where he said that, but I agree with you - you should absolutely write your script to the budget. But I think that also makes sense from a budget standpoint - you should 'write' your budget to the potential market. I think APE spelled out the considerations for that pretty well, but the truth is you probably don't have the flexibility to choose a budget that fits your desired target market. That means you may have to adapt your target market to the budget. That doesn't mean you can't still shoot for much higher once the film is done, but if you don't hit the 'dream' of getting picked up for distribution via festivals you still won't have failed if you've done the work to set up an alternative.

Last edited:
I know this is going to sound crazy but... I totally agree with most of what APE had to say.

I'm not disagreeing with APE. I'm disagreeing with him that his reasoning applies to my situation.

But let's move on to your post.

Rayw's already hit on the marketing aspect, which I think is a key thing you could do to fill in your 'elaborate plan'. Whether it's to get into festivals, or get a distributor interested, or sell DVD's directly when that fails - having a potential audience lined up when the film is finished will put you way ahead of most other independent films that don't even start thinking about that until the film is done. Doing some level of marketing yourself early on also forces you into the same mindset as potential distributors and can help set out the direction you take the film so that it's ultimately more appealing to them.

So let's take a look at this. Let's assume that the film is made. And let's assume that it's a watchable film with a somewhat interesting story. But let's say the film has been rejected by every festival. Let's say the film is a 4 out of 10. What are my options? What kind of marketing should I do early on so that people know about this film? What kind of marketing should I do so that I have a potential audience lined up?

1. I could ask a local newspaper to cover the shoot.
2. I have a very cool venue in Toronto where I want to shoot, they could publicize it too (They don't know yet. But they've been friendly to filmmakers in the past. I plan to ask them after I'm a bit more prepared).
3. I'm planning on releasing the script as a play on Kindle.
4. I'm planning to do something on Indiegogo... whether I get funded or not, it's good for some publicity. (I'm planning to do Indiegogo, after the film is done. I want people to see the film, and if they like it, they can fund it's distribution. That's my igg idea right now. It may be a stupid one, but I'm partial to it at this moment).

I need more ideas. more ideas that don't cost me money. Let's go for it... c'mon...

Most films that get instantly picked up at Sundance or Cannes or any other of the big film festivals are of a technical standard that makes them distributable. Every now and then, there's one that isn't, but that's rare.

It's perhaps folly to be aiming for festivals with distribution, even a small-time Canadian distributor and yet ignore the technical requirements to be able to do that.

APE is spot on.

You say you want to make a studio film for <$15k. I agree that you can't make a studio-quality film, but you can still make a good film. You're not going to have acces to big dino lights and condors and 18k HMIs and an Alexa with a Codex recorder etc. etc. and most importantly, you won't have access to the experienced, talented crew that make studio films look, sound and run like studio films.

Unless, I suppose, you're talking about the aforementioned children's TV studio..

But you can still make a great film. I'd suggest finding a GOOD Producer to bring on board. Someone with a bit of experience who knows where to allocate money, how to negotiate good deals, and how to market a film. After that, things will fall into place.
Just get a real DP on board ;)

It's perhaps folly to be aiming for festivals with distribution, even a small-time Canadian distributor and yet ignore the technical requirements to be able to do that.

So let's talk about that. What technical requirements are we talking about exactly? I'm assuming sound. So what about sound do we need to address that can be solved for a minimal amount? If it can't be solved for less than $5k, I'm not interested, as I can't do anything about it. I'm willing to be the fool, if that's the case.

But you can still make a great film. I'd suggest finding a GOOD Producer to bring on board. Someone with a bit of experience who knows where to allocate money, how to negotiate good deals, and how to market a film. After that, things will fall into place.
Just get a real DP on board ;)

Yes, a good producer, a good dp, a good AC. If I get my location and my actors, I'm money. Fuck warner brothers.;)

Last edited:
So let's talk about that. What technical requirements are we talking about exactly? I'm assuming sound. So what about sound do we need to address that can be solved for a minimal amount? If it can't be solved for less than $5k, I'm not interested, as I can't do anything about it. I'm willing to be the fool, if that's the case.

Sure, sound but also picture. Have you thought about your online/grading costs? Sound, of course. Get a good Producer who can sweet talk a good deal, and who knows what cost you'll be looking at.
Locally, a Producer friend of mine was able to get an insane deal on a sound mix simply because the guys were starting a new company together and were looking for credits and work to use as examples.

Sure, sound but also picture. Have you thought about your online/grading costs? Sound, of course. Get a good Producer who can sweet talk a good deal, and who knows what cost you'll be looking at.
Locally, a Producer friend of mine was able to get an insane deal on a sound mix simply because the guys were starting a new company together and were looking for credits and work to use as examples.

No, I agree with you. Getting a good producer would actually make everything rather sweet. I was thinking of doing the post work myself. All post but audio, I'm thinking of doing myself.

Here's where I'm going to lose you. I'm currently planning on shooting it on T2is. I have a friend here who has two Red Epics. I'm pretty sure I could have them for very little money if I wanted them. But the problem is that if the DP doesn't know how to use the Epic, it's still going to look like crap. I've seen real crap on those Epics. Because nobody knows what the hell they're doing, and everybody talks like an expert. So it becomes difficult after a point to trust what people are saying, and easier to go with what I know instead. But maybe that's because I don't have a good producer. Maybe if I got a good producer, s/he'lll get me the right people, and then maybe I can make use of those epics.

Job No. 1, is the producer then (Now that the script feels like it's done)

Back