• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Would such a thing be possible?

I just had these ideas the other days, but I thought to ask here first about it. I wrote a few screenplays(both short and feature), but I know they aren't written at a professional level and couldn't stand a chance. My idea was to post a thread in the Market section of this forum, where I would offer one(or more) of them to someone interested, but I would work to improve them under that person's guidance(feed-back), and then that person would be able to use the screenplay. I apologize if these ideas are wrong and unrealistic, but I just wanted to know how you'd feel about them! Thanks for reading this.!:) I wish you best of luck with your endeavours!

My advice is get a writing partner. Also, create a contract upfront that says who owns what part of the script. I've seen some bad things happen over co-writtren scripts.

Scott

Nothing wrong with that at all. If someone likes the idea but thinks the script needs work or wants some changes, it'd be good experience for how the rewrite process works. The director and/or producer will almost always want to work it a bit to conform to their vision, resources, locations, talent, etc.

We're currently in preproduction for a short script that was originally written by an IndieTalker. He didn't have the time to do the rewrites, so I had a local writer work on it.

If the idea is good, there's a chance someone will express interest.

CraigL

Why should anyone trust you to be able to fix the script, when you're not willing to polish it to be the best it can be beforehand? :hmm:

You only have one shot at first impressions. That's my take, anyway.

Yeah, far better to have it sit in a drawer and never looked at!

CraigL

That's not what I said, and you know it isn't what I meant. Thanks for being facetious though.

Why throw yourself out there for free? Have some effing dignity. Why slave away for all that time, coming up with an idea, developing it, writing it, tweaking, rewriting, rewriting, rewriting only to give it away for nothing?

Not only does it cheapen the writer of the script, it cheapens the rest of us. If one writer works for free, we're all expected to work for free.

The same thing happens with photographers. Some photographers work for free, or a tiny fee in the hope of getting more work later on down the line and then they've become "the free photographer" and it's very difficult to put up rates and start charging.

Would you do your day job for free? Doubt it. I wouldn't. Think about it.

Why throw yourself out there for free?
Because for most screenplay writers a sale is very difficult. One
great way to start a career is to team up with a filmmaker and
make movies. No pay - but passion and sacrifice.

Would you do your day job for free? Doubt it. I wouldn't. Think about it.
The standard understanding of “day job” is ones primary way of
earning a living while pursuing a secondary - and usually unpaid
- activity that will eventually lead to paid work. So of course no
one will work their day job for free, but it is standard and generally
accepted for a writer to hold a paying “day job” while offering
their screenplays for free.

In this specific case, victortiti is struggling to get a script produced
and is looking for someone to team up with. That doesn’t suggest he
has no “effing dignity” and it does not cheapen you or your work.

It is far better for a beginning writer to work with a beginning producer
and director by giving a script away for free than by holding into the
screenplay until someone is willing to pay for it. Saying that is not
deliberately inappropriate humor - it's good advice.

hell yeah! Dive right in! Never doubt yourself. Just do what feels right for you, but, make sure you take all legal precautions beforehand. Find out AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE on your field of endeavors and any related topics. Ground yourself in what it means to do this.

Because for most screenplay writers a sale is very difficult. One
great way to start a career is to team up with a filmmaker and
make movies. No pay - but passion and sacrifice.

The standard understanding of “day job” is ones primary way of
earning a living while pursuing a secondary - and usually unpaid
- activity that will eventually lead to paid work. So of course no
one will work their day job for free, but it is standard and generally
accepted for a writer to hold a paying “day job” while offering
their screenplays for free.

In this specific case, victortiti is struggling to get a script produced
and is looking for someone to team up with. That doesn’t suggest he
has no “effing dignity” and it does not cheapen you or your work.

It is far better for a beginning writer to work with a beginning producer
and director by giving a script away for free than by holding into the
screenplay until someone is willing to pay for it. Saying that is not
deliberately inappropriate humor - it's good advice.

Couldn't agree more. Carpe Diem comes to mind here.
If you wait around for the perfect chance or opp, you just might miss it. A Diamond does not always present itself as a gleaming gem of beauty, sometimes, you have to work for that result.

Why throw yourself out there for free? Have some effing dignity. Why slave away for all that time, coming up with an idea, developing it, writing it, tweaking, rewriting, rewriting, rewriting only to give it away for nothing?

Not only does it cheapen the writer of the script, it cheapens the rest of us. If one writer works for free, we're all expected to work for free.

The impression I got was this is his first attempt at writing a script, hardly a day job. If it is his first attempt, then partnering with someone who will work with him to produce a final product seems like a reasonable exchange.

While I appreciate trying to protect what seems to be your choice of profession, I think this is a completely different situation.

CraigL

Directorik, if he's having a problem getting it produced, it probably need rewriting. No offence meant, but lets be realistic.

Teaming up with someone is a different thing all together.

Edit: I like how you quoted snippets of what I said and replied to them fairly out of context.

@Lord, carpe diem? Really? If OP wants to seize the day by kissing off how ever much time he spent working on his script for nothing, that's his business I guess.

Last edited:
Directorik, if he's having a problem getting it produced, it probably need rewriting. No offence meant, but lets be realistic.
None taken. He did say he wants to work with a director or another
writer. To me, that's teaming up to improve. Realistically that's a
great attitude for a beginning writer. It's not realistic for a beginning
writer who admits his work isn't up to par to make money from their
first script. Not out of context you said, " DO. NOT. DO. IT." in regard
to giving away a script. I don't feel that way so I expressed my opinion.

If OP wants to seize the day by kissing off how ever much time he spent working on his script for nothing, that's his business I guess.
It sure is. We each have our own way of breaking in. I think it's
fine for a new writer to give away a script at the very beginning of
a career. I don't see that as kissing off anything. Just a difference of
opinion. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Teaming up with someone is a different thing all together.

Edit: I like how you quoted snippets of what I said and replied to them fairly out of context.

@Lord, carpe diem? Really? If OP wants to seize the day by kissing off how ever much time he spent working on his script for nothing, that's his business I guess.

I agree and I don't agree, same as with what Directorik said. It's just a suggestion, in the end it's OP's choice.
I say do what feels right. Working with others is always a better approach than playing the lone wolf.

As a semi-professional who has made sales and been hired for rewrites, I get where Alex is coming from. If your script is of high enough quality to be considered saleable, dont offer to give it away. Even if it gets produced on a low budget, and they can only pay you $500, thats still payment for work done. And if they cant afford to pay you anything---you get a credit and a few beers at the wrap party---then you can decide if its worth it. The point is, dont put a huge sign out in bold letters saying FREE SCRIPT!!! Because I can promise you, no one will read it.

The wedding photographer analogy is a good one. My ex gf tried to get started in that field offering the cheapest rates, only to be told "Well, this guy will do it for free".

And when SHE went totally free, asking only for dinner at the reception and access to the open bar, they would come back with "Well, this guy will do it without dinner or drinks".

If you dont value your work, no one else will either. Can you imagine a filmmaker advertising himself with "Will writw/direct for free!!"

Back