Low-Rent Portable Lighting

In order to keep my night shoot fast, portable, and quiet, I've built some lights that are powered by marine batteries. One battery will drive 5 of these lights all night. I'll have two marine batteries on set & a couple 1/2 sized LED lights that will have their own smaller batteries.

Each light runs me about $41.50, including dimmer and a small volt/amp meter (not pictured). I realize that LEDs have severe limitations when it comes to color reproduction, but as long as I'm paying for everything it's a compromise that I'll have to accept.

NOTE: The barn doors will be tapered, and the spud will be moved to the middle of the unit.
"Unit" meaning cookie sheet.

LED1.jpg

LED2.jpg

LED4.jpg

LED5.jpg

LED7.jpg

I'll eventually add some example footage & camera settings to this thread.

Thomas

Last edited:
It's on the way. I've documented everything, but I won't post a DIY writeup until I've shot scenes in various locations and can provide a full report on the practicality and reliability of the lights. I'm certain the shoots will spur some design changes, as well.

I'll also upload examples that demonstrate the positives and negatives of using LEDs & cookie sheets to light your scenes.

My goal is to achieve practical & affordable night photography for a small fry, like myself.

Thomas

Last edited:
Back