Canon 60D - recording length

Does anyone know why my Canon 60D stops automatically recording at 12m30sec?
I filmed on 16GB SanDisk Class 6 and also Class 10 card and on both it automatically stops filming? Why? Are they any settings? I need a long takes :(

There's a 4Gb limit, that's what you've reached. Your standard settings mean that 4Gb is reached in roughly 12mins. Not sure if you can do it as standard (and I own the camera!), but with Magic Lantern you can lower the bitrate, allowing you to get up to 30mins within the 4Gb limit. To be honest, I don't know what affect this has on the image, I've never had to do it. I'm sure somebody else can help you there!

I learned while recording a wedding why most wedding montages these days are just that - montages. It's because DSLR's have that 12min limit so they only have the ability to capture moments as opposed to segments if you could get that.

My question is why DSLR's won't continue the video as a separate 4gb file if you go over limit as opposed having it stop recording.

My question is why DSLR's won't continue the video as a separate 4gb file if you go over limit as opposed having it stop recording.

Again, Magic Lantern does allow this, but they do warn that you will lose a few seconds between the two files. As I said above, Magic Lantern also allows a 30min recording limit. Not sure, but one concern with both these options is over-heating. With the camera being in live-view for such a long time, the camera could easily over-heat.

LDS - If you want to shoot more than 12 continuous minutes in the EU, the tax limit for non-camcorders is 30 minutes anyway.

For Canon owners, the 12 minute limit is the result of poor software engineering. It is possible to overcome the 4GB limit by spanning across .mov files during recording (without Magic Lantern-type dropouts or gaps), with OEM firmware - but Canon only does this with the 5D Mark III, taking that camera up to 30 minutes.

Canon could have done this in all of their video-capable cameras, but they did not (partly for fear of overheating, something the 7D was susceptible to).

Panasonic does file spanning in all of the GH cameras, and even some of their point and shoots, giving them virtually unlimited shot duration (outside of the EU). Admittedly, this is easier to do with AVCHD, but Panasonic did it with the .mov files from the GH3 as well.

Panasonic also engineers their camera hardware so they can shoot for hours without overheating (outside of the EU).

This was one of the reasons I sold my T2i/550D and bought the GH2.

In the EU, the only way to shoot a take that lasts for up to 30 minutes with a large sensor camera is to get a Panasonic DSLM, a Sony DSLT, a Canon 5D Mark III or a large sensor camcorder.

To shoot a take lasting more than 30 minutes, your only options are a large sensor camcorder or a hacked Panasonic GH2.

Bill

Last edited:
Back