Need Head Shots Tips

I need to get a good head shot (or two) for my upstart acting career.

I have almost no Acting experience to put on the back of my headshot print (yet), [other than doing a radio show and stand up comedy] so I'm thinking of skipping the usual large Head Shot piece and starting off with a smaller POSTCARD size calling card, where I can put a minimum on data about my experience on the front and leave the back blank.

I want to try out for commercials, or something that doesn't require much acting experience.

I met a young woman who's already got several LO/NO roles on student films and a few paid non-union commercial gigs, and she had no experience when she started out just a few months ago.

She's currently using the postcard size head shot with two pics on the front (head and full body) - and her relatively short resume on the back.

I talked to one photographer who thought an OUTDOOR shot, against the water where I live would be good for a headshot.... and said not to do anything with my hair or makeup that I couldn't re-create for a casting call. He said, producers want a picture of the real person, not some glamour photoshop'd version.

I think I agree with everything except the doing the shot outside concept - because I haven't seen any examples of outdoor shots on the 50 or so headshots I saw at a recent industry mixer.

I thought he might have suggested that because he DIDN'T have a studio. (Ah, me of little faith!)

He wanted $150 for the shots - which seemed reasonable.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers

DreamLarge

Last edited:
I'm thinking of skipping the usual large Head Shot piece and starting off with a smaller POSTCARD size calling card, where I can put a minimum on data about my experience on the front and leave the back blank.

You talking about Z-cards aka Comp cards?

Those are more geared towards models, as opposed to actors. I believe. Since they are composed of several different shots/styles, you'll need a bit of a portfolio to select from. Which can be built up, sure.

So why are you leaning towards this? Worried about the huuuuuuge white space that needs to get filled up, on the back of an 8x10? Don't sweat it.

I want to try out for commercials, or something that doesn't require much acting experience.

There's a fair bit of acting in commercials... just sayin'. Are you looking into local acting classes?

I agree with everything except the doing the shot outside concept - because I haven't seen any examples of outdoor shots on the 50 or so headshots I saw at a recent industry mixer.

My current headshot is outdoors. I've seen stacks of them so far this year from others. But I don't go to industry mixers, either. Maybe they know the more recent trends.

I thought he might have suggested that because he DIDN'T have a studio.

He wanted $150 for the shots - which seemed reasonable.

How many looks you getting for that $150? Do you get a pic or two cleaned up with that?

Not everyone has a studio. If you're confident in his skill, presumably be seeing some previous photos, you should be fine.

Btw, Reproductions.com is a pretty decent place to have your headshots printed up at. :cool:

Zensteve;309786]You talking about Z-cards aka Comp cards?:

not sure, I'll bing Z-card..

So why are you leaning towards this? Worried about the huuuuuuge white space that needs to get filled up, on the back of an 8x10? Don't sweat it.

Only leaning towards it because of my fear of white space. I think the big Head Shot photos look awesome, my friends Comp card, not so much. (but she's got work! - despite it)

So, you think mucho white space on the back is better than having a non-standard size head shot?

There's a fair bit of acting in commercials... just sayin'. Are you looking into local acting classes?

Yes... but I'm struggling with that - in San Diego. Any tips?

How many looks you getting for that $150? Do you get a pic or two cleaned up with that?

I'd have to ask how many looks, probably a couple. He's an AP Press Photographer by trade and used to teach illustrator and photoshop at a university, so I assume he'll clean up the shots.

Back