>> (Not So) Quick, But Definitely Dirty. Or...

Anyone have a preference for what I should investigate first?

• Investigate & Analyze Top YouTube Content Providers

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Investigate & Analyze Major N.Am Film Festivals w/ Shorts

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
... Excruciatingly Tedious and Likely Worth the Effort Invested in the Eventual Outcome?

I could investigate, analyze, and dissect some of the top youtube content providers (defined by those with the most subscribers) - OR - I could investigate, analyze, and dissect some of the top North American+Canadian film festival accepted shorts entries over the past couple of years.

(Relatively Easy, Possibly Meaningful) http://vidstatsx.com/youtube-top-100-most-subscribed-channels
or
(Definitely Hard, Concrete Anything Unlikely, Outcome Very Likely Meaningful) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_festivals_in_North_and_Central_America

Anyone here have muchuva keen interest in either subject?

Last edited:
Alright.
Got one vote for youtube.

Anyone else wanna weigh in?

FWIW, and for perspective reference, these little excursions tend to be quite popular long after they've left the primary forum field:
Views
  • 8,986 - My Crowdfunding Experience
  • 6,156 - Indie Film Marketing & Promotion
  • 10,116 - VOD Indie Film Distribution Exploration
  • 7,512 - The Budget & Finance Thread
  • 2,208 - Budgeting Supplements: Product Placement
  • 1,438 - U.S. State Feature Film Incentives & Tax Credits: 2012
  • 3,901 - Shot by a Canon!
  • 3,400 - Shot by a GH1 or GH2
  • 2,920 - 2011 Sundance Feature Film Distribution & Revenue Analysis
  • 1,117 - 2010 Independent Film Distribution & Revenue Analysis

So...
Anyone think I could scare up something useful?

Whatchawant? Chips or Burger?

Heh, that was my one vote. Hoping for some look at just how "indie" the bigger content providers are, if that makes sense.

Heh, that was my one vote. Hoping for some look at just how "indie" the bigger content providers are, if that makes sense.

Agreed! But I'd certainly be interested in festival entries, for a more selfish motive (as my work tends to fall in the artsy category).

Thanks for another awesome thread, Ray!

Festivals don't really tick my happy box. I am much more interested in the YouTube influence. If you could possibly show how many, if any popular YT content providers went on to bigger and better things, that would be great.

I found the film festival route moderately successful. Now that I know what I didn't know before, I believe my next at bat will be a home run. :)

I would first question - for what is the research for?

I'd say festivals is much more beneficial - but it depends on your audience. If you're conducting research for hobbyists and prosumers who just want and outlet and even better some cash along with it, then YouTube is probably more suited, whereas serious and professional filmmakers would benefit more out of research on what makes it to the top festivals.

I would first question - for what is the research for?
Evil.
Just plain and simple: Evil.
Nothing but pure, unadulterated evil. :devil:

Seriously, though... For a practical understanding of what larger and some specialty film festivals have been accepting and showing, and a reverse engineering guesstimated breakdown of what production elements went into the short if little to no director/producer/actor interviews and IMDB information are available.

If we can see what other successful entries have come to the table with perhaps we can better craft our stories, budgets, and technical execution to effectively compete rather than "I shot this. Here's my $35 submission fee. Will you show it?"

That's... um... a less than prudent approach.

In that case, I'd go for the film festival route. It's much more beneficial to a serious film maker to look at what works in the festival market, as opposed to YouTube, considering YouTube is hardly taken seriously as a professional filmmaking arena, and that those that make any kind of money from it do so not because they are great at what they do, but more because they provide consistent content to a niche audience.

C'mon IT, people.

121112PollResults.png

231 views, only twenty could possibly be mine, and all we got is 8 votes.

That's 26 to 1.

Any poker player has better odds than that of getting two pairs in a hand.
hand-2pair.jpg

C'mon, jokers.
Vote, dang it!

WARNING: Cheap ploy to get your attention to vote!

TWO PAIRS

two+pair.jpg
-
38981.jpg

Which two pairs do you want in your hands? :lol:

BTW: Good for a few chuckles! ---> http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/
The comments are the best.

Last edited:
Youtube for me... Sadly I am not to the Film Festival level of creativity yet. Takes me too long to edit a 5 min video, much less an hour or two...

Here's the top 5 it seems.

5. Lucas Cruikshank—AKA, Fred—children's entertainer
Total views in the past year: 200,656,150
Income: $146,000
4. Ryan Higa, video blog & sketch comedy
Total views in the past year: 206,979,909
Income: $151,000
3. Philip DeFranco, video blogger
Total views in the past year: 248,735,032
Income: $181,000
2. Dane Boedigheimer—AKA, The Annoying Orange—comedy series
Total views in the past year: 349,753,047
Income: $288,000
1. Shane Dawson—AKA, Ask Shane & others—sketch comedy and parody
Total views in the past year: 431,787,450
Income: $315,000

Source: YouTube Stars Making Big Money - What We Can Learn From Them? http://www.reelseo.com/youtube-stars-money/#ixzz2C6XyHRDD
©2012 ReelSEO

Two more votes.

Have ten.
Want two more.
Three would be gravy!

Investigate, analyze, and dissect some of the top:
A- youtube content providers (defined by those with the most subscribers)
B - North American+Canadian film festival accepted shorts entries over the past couple of years.

340 views, about 30 of 'em mine = 310 divided by 14 votes (these last 4 were twice what I had hoped for!) = 22:1 views to votes!

I'm pleased with your improved participation/givadamn, IT. :yes:
Feels like running a mini crowdfunding campaign! :lol:

20121115PollResults.png

Alright, well... anyone reading this keep in mind that this is likely the last time I'll petition you guys before the weekend, so if you haven't voted and discover you've coalesced an opinion on the subject go ahead and vote ASAP.

I'll end up investigating both, I just wanted to see which one you guys were interested in me doing first.

For those fourteen of you which have already voted:

Thank you.

Gc_you_rock_01.jpg

Youtube for me... Sadly I am not to the Film Festival level of creativity yet. Takes me too long to edit a 5 min video, much less an hour or two...

Here's the top 5 it seems.

5. Lucas Cruikshank—AKA, Fred—children's entertainer
Total views in the past year: 200,656,150
Income: $146,000
4. Ryan Higa, video blog & sketch comedy
Total views in the past year: 206,979,909
Income: $151,000
3. Philip DeFranco, video blogger
Total views in the past year: 248,735,032
Income: $181,000
2. Dane Boedigheimer—AKA, The Annoying Orange—comedy series
Total views in the past year: 349,753,047
Income: $288,000
1. Shane Dawson—AKA, Ask Shane & others—sketch comedy and parody
Total views in the past year: 431,787,450
Income: $315,000

Source: YouTube Stars Making Big Money - What We Can Learn From Them? http://www.reelseo.com/youtube-stars-money/#ixzz2C6XyHRDD
©2012 ReelSEO

Also if you look just outside of the top five (say top 15) at the likes of Joe Penna and Freddie Wong who still produce their weekly stuff but also are involved in outside work apart from YouTube

It would be Film Festivals for me. Although all my content is currently stagnating on YouTube, I'd much rather make films for the "quality" audience, rather than just the internet crowd ;)

No offence, internet crowd. You know I love you really!

FWIW, to me, there seems to be a greater monetization potential with youtube as well as cultivating a following to promote a potetial future crowdfunding campaign for a large project but this is going to take a fairly long time, while the festival circuit would almost assume you have "the right" equipment and skill to pull off a viable entry knowing it will likely neither make a dime or lead to a larger piece that leads to a paying job.

It's like comparing apples to apes.

I'll end up investigating both, I just wanted to see which one you guys were interested in me doing first.

How about a third research project?:eek:
(again, my motives are selfish:D )

Since finding investors for a commercial project are so varied, and often confidential, I know it would be time consuming and virtually impossible to come up with any kind of spreadsheet on the 5 w's of supported works. Is there any chance you'd like to give a go to what works are most probably endorsed/supported by fiscal sponsors? Although these agencies don't directly fund a work, they are a necessary conduit for monies coming from corporate giving (as corporations usually never fund an individual EXCEPT through a fiscal sponsor). I could round up a list of fiscal sponsors (ie: IFP, NYFA's Artspire, etc) and they'd have lists of funded works as well as current projects which could be analyzed.

Bird -

Yep!
I'm game. :yes:

Gimme what you can scrounge up, go ahead and make it public here so that maybe others here might remember something also relevant and add to the heap-O-info.
The larger data pool I can begin with the better the resulting product will be, especially for queries where publicly available data is pretty sparse. :)

I'll save it, we all kick around what we stumble upon, and I'll apply some hard attention to it when these next two are wrapped up.

Back