Post Production Sound?

I was wondering what do you guys mainly use as your source for post production sound effects, music, environment, etc. The last film I was working on I got a few things off of soundsnap and got my music from the oh so generous kevin macleod from incompetech.. but I am wondering what you guys all use because honestly the stuff I found on sound snap wasn't that good and it does require a paid membership to download. So I was curious what you guys do for your post production sound. Or do you guys just record your own stuff mostly?

As I am finishing this up I figure there are probably threads like this before and I should of done a search.. but I am going to post this up anyway just in case and then go do a search.

I'm sure the audio guys will chime in here with more knowledge than I.

Back when I was doing radio commercials and imaging, I used quite a few sound effects libraries - we had the entire Sony Pictures SFX collection, the BBC SFX collection, The Hollywood Edge SFX collection and another collection the name of which escapes me. There were anywhere from 10 to 50+ CDs in each collection and each came with a large booklet that was an alphabetised directory of the sound effects included.
We then had what I called 'production SFX' which were zips and zaps and buzzes and booms and bangs and blips and warped FX that were all the little stingers and effects that weren't necessarily 'real world' FX. Killer Hertz was one of the better suppliers of that kinda thing, but there were heaps of suppliers around. We used to get new CDs of these 'production FX' every month
For Production Music, we would get sent CDs from each production house every month, the most common being Beatbox, Universal, KPM/EMI and then Extreme Music. Every month we'd have to send in a written report of what tracks we'd used from what companies wihch often ended up being hundreds of tracks per month (I always made my assistant do the paperwork ;))

Needless to say, the walls and cupboards of our control rooms were lined with CDs..

These days, I do keep an account with Extreme Music, and I do have a few SFX collections ripped to my computer for the odd job that comes up here and there (especially good for corporates!)

In radio, we simply didn't have the time to record all our own sounds, nor would it at all be feasible to bring in and record different sound effects, especially with the vocal booths being taken up by shows, news, or V/O records for different segments or different commercials or promos.

I know a lot of audio post guys like to record a lot of their own sounds, often using Foley artists, and of course music is generally provided by a composer.

However, I quite often hear on television promos and commercials, as well as current affair stories, music beds that I've used for any number of radio promos. The music from Extreme is used on heaps of things, and Two Steps From Hell who now work with Extreme have been sort of a 'go-to' in terms of trailer music.

In terms of SFX, I imagine major audio post facilities keep a library of their own sounds that have been recorded over the years, as well as the SFX libraries available on CD.

Last edited:
So how exactly could I go about getting access to this wealth of sound? Also do you know anything about free sound sources that are royalty free? I know that's not an easy thing to come by and usually results in low quality sounds but I am curious if there happen to be any good sources of that sort. Also, like I said you mentioned all these places but how could I go about buying these libraries of sounds and such. Thanks for your reply though it is full of good info.

AFAIK, the Sony Pictures and the BBC collection are available for purchase, though they wouldn't be royalty free...

Maybe check out freesound.org?

In terms of production music, there a bunch of places to get royalty free music, and the quality ranges from great to terrible.

Time and budget - and of course equipment and experience - make many of those decisions.

As a one-man-band audio post facility I'm pretty much a jack of all trades. If I have the time/budget I create as many of the sound effects and do as much Foley work as I possibly can. However, for some projects there are lots of things that are way beyond my capabilities no matter how much time and money are available, and on other projects the schedule is just too tight. During those times I have my personal sound library - which grows with every budgeted project - and I buy whatever else I need. For individual sound effects I go to SoundDogs.com. No membership fees, and you can buy and download by-the-sound. When I'm buying entire sound sets (weapons and vehicles, for example) I also use Sound-Ideas.com. They have most of the major sound libraries and you can cherry pick individual discs from most of those libraries. They both also have production music libraries which I don't use very much.

There are also some really good "boutique" sound effects libraries like Hiss and Roar, Chuck Russom FX, The Recordist, Rabbit Ears Audio, Bottle Rocket FX, TonSturm and Boom Library. These guys have all done major films and contributed to many of the "commercial" libraries sold at Sound Ideas, but their new stuff is very fresh and quite unique; a little on the pricey side for indie types, but well worth it, and they occasionally run unbelievable specials when they release new libraries. Hiss and Roar recently ran a 35% off anything when they released their Beaches library. Some of them offer 24bit/96kHz packages and some of the libraries are multiple tracks of the same sound (stereo, different perspectives plus a contact mic). And many of them have free sounds just to entice you.

Here's a list of independent library sites:

http://designingsound.org/sfx-independence/

Hope this helps.

... do you know anything about free sound sources that are royalty free? I know that's not an easy thing to come by and usually results in low quality sounds but I am curious if there happen to be any good sources of that sort.

You get what you pay for. If you want quality, you pay for it or you create it yourself.

You can find some really terrific stuff at http://freesound.org/. It is free, and it is royalty free. The big problem is that the quality runs the gamut from unbelievably horrible to really, really good, and you have to winnow through all of it to find the quality. Please make sure that you follow the licenses procedures:

http://freesound.org/help/faq/#licenses-0

It's only fair that you credit people for their work.

You can also try:

http://www.soundjay.com/

http://sweetsoundeffects.com/ (Be careful, here; lots of copyrighted material...)

Look around for LJudo - they had some really nice free stuff, but I don't know if they're around any more.

Back