Pitching to Producers

Has anyone ever taken in a 'pitch to producers'? I plan on attending a film expo in new orleans next month and they have a segment to submit to, where, if chosen, you are given three minutes to pitch your story to a panel of producers who will critique and discuss it with you, and possible greenlight it.

The thing is, as someone who doesn't have much experience in this department, I'm a little overwhelmed by all the details of what they expect for your submission; everything from complete financial breakdowns, marketing, tax incentives, legal fees etc.

Here's a link to the page; http://www.pitchtoproducers.com/film-package-eligibility-requirements.php

Any ideas where I could start to do some research for these fields?

I may be missing something here, but it sounds like this event is requiring you to first do the work of a producer. I find that a little strange since the event is a described as a place for filmmakers (which usually means directors) to pitch to producers who are then supposedly going to help you by functioning as producers for you. You see, when you put together a marketing plan and a financing plan, you're doing what a producer does. That is NOT what a director does.

The tax incentives most likely refer to the excellent boost that Louisiana has been providing lately. These guys wanna see how you're putting that to use, I'd imagine.

You have a couple options:

1) Ignore the rules and just be a writer/director who's going to mastermind a great concept. Submit your concept and pray.
2) Find a good but cheap Line Producer who can budget your film for you. The budget is the basic first step.
3) Read a book on PRODUCING* and learn how to produce. Also read a book on putting together a film business plan and learn how to draw up ROI and so forth.
4) Find a star actor who will commit to you with a Letter of Intent. Use this committment as an excuse to bypass the other requirements.
5) Find someone who will serve as a co-producer with you... someone who will put together the business plan for you.

* You can find good film books by searching Amazon.

I would suggest option 5. It sounds like you don't know much about producing. That's fine. You just need to partner up with someone who DOES. This would mean they would share the pain and the glory with you. Are you willing to involve someone else? If so, that's your best bet. (Unless you are an EXTREMELY fast learner.)

Shanked

Thanks, Shanked, that's kind of how I felt. Maybe I'll email them and try and get the scoop.

I have several friends who've offered to help my films, but only with acting and technical stuff (sound, grip, etc.) Maybe I'll see if anyone of them could help me out too.

Thanks for the quick response!

What they're looking for is for you, as an unknown and unproven filmmaker, to submit a full pitch for possible funding. It might be telling that they aren't asking for screenplays, just ideas and how any investors would be repaid. The Louisiana film tax credits are 30% of qualifying expenses with another 5% bonus for payroll to Louisiana residents. The tax credits are fully transferable and can even be sold back to the state for 85% of face value or brokered to other businesses or individuals.

@Shanked, the reason that the expo seems odd for directors is because it was originally for actors.

As a writer and director I pitch to producers all the time. As a
producer I pitch to investors all the time. What this website is
requiring is a pitch to investors. Everything they are asking for
is what a producer does when looking for investors. This is not
what a director needs when pitching to a producer.

Numbers 5 through 11 are what the producer does after they
option your script. It’s unusual that this is called “pitch to
producers”. No producer wants the writer or director to put
together all those numbers. Mostly because the numbers will
be wrong due to lack of experience.

On the website they do say, “This whole process can be daunting,
but it is necessary if you are a filmmaker and want to secure
financing for your project.” and that’s true. If you are putting
together a package for investors you need all these things. If you
are pitching to a producer you do not.

Back