• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Day for night in a Black n white movie?

Hey guys,
How do I go about color correcting day for night shot when the final content is in bw..
Should I just color correct in color first n then apply bw filter or color correct after making it bw.. I can't seem to convincingly make it look like night.

Thanks

Black and White is very different to colour. You need to specifically shoot with B&W in mind, or you're going to get average looking black and white film. The way you light and expose is going to be somewhat different.
Day for night in colour is tough, but day for night for b&w is infinitely harder, particularly if you're shooting on locations with no lights etc. You can easily increase contrast and stick a heavy blue tint to colour film and give a relatively believable night feel. In black and white, you have to really think carefully about what you do/don't see at night. Without the right lighting, it's almost going to impossible to make it look believable if you're converting.

Back