• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch First attempt in documentary form - Occupy London

So i've been dabbling in film for a while, i've done 3 years of A level film (repeated the first year to get a B up to an A) and i've watched alot of films obviously. But it was only recently, maybe in the last 6 months or so that I decided I wanted to make documentaries. It's largely to do with my political interests, because I want to use it as a medium to consider and explain various political, maybe even philosophical subjects, but hey, early days :).

I had to produce an opening/section of a film/short film for my A2 coursework, so I decided to do a documentary opening for occupy london, as i'd been spending a lot of time around the movement. It's my first attempt at documentary, i've made a few very small films before but nothing to speak of as such. Personal criticisms would definately reside with the steadiness of the camera (I was shooting on the go most of the time and didn't want to carry around a tripod) editing isn't something i've had much time to practice either, and probably overusing tilt and pan shots.
But really I just wanted to get some objective criticisms so that I know where to improve and what i've done ok at, hopefully this is one of many more explorations into the form.

Footage was taken between a Canon EOS 1100D DSLR (1080p) and a Flip Cam HD (720p)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azT0FHtYV0g

I like the buildup in the beginning with the music kicking in. You have some very interesting angles. The one thing, as you mentioned yourself, is getting a tripod, this would make it x2 more professional looking. The sound quality with the guy talking was also lacking a bit. But those are minor details (which do make a big difference), the rest is quite good. I watched the whole thing through and didn't notice the time go by.

Back