Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Music

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
AudioPostExpert
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksure View Post
The majority of professional TV editors and TV sound recordists, youtube video makers etc are still working at 16 bit, and 48 k, and often using mp3's too. Not that I in any way recommend that people should record at 16 bit or use mp3s, and I never would myself.
You are correct in saying 48 k is the film,video, TV standard. But how much music out there is available at 48k?
I doubt anyone can tell the difference between 44.1k and 48k, unless certain types of algorithm are applied to the SFX or music, in which case the difference in the smoother characteristics of the 48k decimation or anti-alias filter might become significant. Also, who wants the extra hassle of dealing with different sample rates when in fact there is plenty of material available at the standard 48k rate?

I haven't had music or sound recordists submit 16bit files to me in so long I can't even remember, probably 10 years or so. I occasionally still get a picture editor who wants to send me 16bit wavs embedded in an OMF or AAF but I bypass this problem by requesting a referenced AAF so I can access the original 24bit files.

I'm not having a go at you, I'm just trying to explain that 24/48 has been the audio standard for many years. If you're selling stuff at 16/44.1 you will be viewed by many in the industry as not very professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksure View Post
I am an audio professional too. I didn't come down in the last shower......... I know about dithering v truncation etc, so.......yes the conversion is done "properly".
No disrespect intended but to be honest when I started in this business 20 years ago, nearly everyone who called themselves a professional recording engineer really did have a good understanding of the engineering aspect of the job title, that is rarely the case these days. So, maybe you already know this: From your sentence above you're presumably dithering to 16bit rather than truncating, do you use a TDPF dither or a noise redistribution dither?

G

Last edited by AudioPostExpert; 06-07-2012 at 06:32 PM.
AudioPostExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #17
rocksure
Basic Member
 
rocksure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPostExpert View Post
I'm not having a go at you,

No disrespect intended but to be honest when I started in this business 20 years ago, nearly everyone who called themselves a professional recording engineer really did have a good understanding of the engineering aspect of the job title, that is rarely the case these days. So, maybe you already know this: From your sentence above you're presumably dithering to 16bit rather than truncating, do you use a TDPF dither or a noise redistribution dither?

G
I knew you would come back with that question. If you are not having a go at me as you say, perhaps you trying to show that one of us is more of an audio expert than the other?

I expect questions like that on Gearslutz...but on Indietalk it's perhaps a little surprising.


But for the record...I use High-pass triangular dither applied to a stereo mix that has had all other mastering done to it first, and the dithering is the final satge of the mastering process.

I have noted your points, believe they are valid and will give them consideration as they have given me food for thought. Thank you.
rocksure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
AudioPostExpert
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksure View Post
I knew you would come back with that question. If you are not having a go at me as you say, perhaps you trying to show that one of us is more of an audio expert than the other?
No, I was trying to help you but by getting testy all you are doing is proving that you may know a few facts but only really enough to be dangerous rather than a skilled professional because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksure View Post
But for the record...I use High-pass triangular dither applied to a stereo mix that has had all other mastering done to it first, and the dithering is the final satge of the mastering process.
Unfortunately, there is a large hole in your logic which is resulting in you selling a product which in some cases would make it unusable and unfit for purpose! The hole in your logic is caused by you coming from the music business rather than the audio post business and not understanding the difference. Music used as part of a soundtrack in a film or tv program cannot be mastered by the music producer because the final adjustments of levels, compression, EQ, etc., are made by the re-recording mixer during the re-recording process. Therefore, the dither you have added has not been added as the final stage of the mastering process but has been added effectively before the mastering process! The addition of a lot of energy in the high frequencies can cause all sorts of interaction problems with the other audio elements in the mix or worse still, cause problems with broadcast chain limiters. While noise shaped or noise redistributed dither is standard practice for music products, it should never be used in audio post applications.

If you want to take this as some sort of expertise competition, then go right ahead, I'm not interested. As I said I came to provide help, help which you obviously need because you are trying to sell products which are unfit for purpose and in my country that's illegal. I'll leave this thread now as there is nothing except apparently a flame war to be gained by my staying here. But I certainly will not be buying your products and would advise anyone else considering purchasing your products for use as part of a film or TV soundtrack to avoid them.
AudioPostExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
rocksure
Basic Member
 
rocksure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioPostExpert View Post
No, I was trying to help you but by getting testy all you are doing is proving that you may know a few facts but only really enough to be dangerous rather than a skilled professional because:



Unfortunately, there is a large hole in your logic which is resulting in you selling a product which in some cases would make it unusable and unfit for purpose! The hole in your logic is caused by you coming from the music business rather than the audio post business and not understanding the difference. Music used as part of a soundtrack in a film or tv program cannot be mastered by the music producer because the final adjustments of levels, compression, EQ, etc., are made by the re-recording mixer during the re-recording process. Therefore, the dither you have added has not been added as the final stage of the mastering process but has been added effectively before the mastering process! The addition of a lot of energy in the high frequencies can cause all sorts of interaction problems with the other audio elements in the mix or worse still, cause problems with broadcast chain limiters. While noise shaped or noise redistributed dither is standard practice for music products, it should never be used in audio post applications.

If you want to take this as some sort of expertise competition, then go right ahead, I'm not interested. As I said I came to provide help, help which you obviously need because you are trying to sell products which are unfit for purpose and in my country that's illegal. I'll leave this thread now as there is nothing except apparently a flame war to be gained by my staying here. But I certainly will not be buying your products and would advise anyone else considering purchasing your products for use as part of a film or TV soundtrack to avoid them.
Great ..you are entitled to your opinion, and if you choose not to use my music or sfx that's fine..but rather than help, you have infact come here to discredit me on this thread it would appear.

You are correct in saying that I have come from a music industry background. But...I have also worked as a sound engineer in Television. Aside from that I have also have had a fair bit of my 44.1@16bit music used in TV and video over the years, and by a range of different people, shows etc with no complaints.

But you are correct in saying this is not the place for a war of words, so let's just say with both see things a bit differently and leave it there.
rocksure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
The Tune Peddler
Premiere Member
 
The Tune Peddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 202
More sites added

Here are a couple mores site I've come across that have some great royalty free music.

http://www.joshwoodward.com/
This guy has around 170 songs and he asks you to "use and abuse" his tunes meaning use them in whatever way you want. The songs sound great and would be great for I'm sure a number of projects.

http://www.pacdv.com/sounds/free-music.html
Really nice selection of music. Not the largest but really great quality. Lots of cool chase stuff.
The Tune Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #21
The Tune Peddler
Premiere Member
 
The Tune Peddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 202
http://www.beatpick.com/player/index
Really diverse selection of great music. Really nice simple interface as well.

http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/royaltyfreemusic/
Tons of music here. Incredible quality. A little pricy but definitely not your everyday average internet music.
The Tune Peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:11 AM   #22
richards88
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Here is site with free royalty music - http://www.melodyloops.com/. There are many background music for games, presentations, video's and etc. I use it for my presentations at work. But now, I can use another sites. Thanks to the author of this topic!
richards88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #23
Eric Matyas
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: United States
Posts: 273
I put out music for free as well...you can use it commercially or non-commercially...all I ask is to be credited as detailed on my homepage.

http://soundimage.org/

Hope it's helpful,

Eric
Eric Matyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #24
Zensteve
Basic - Premiere Expired
 
Zensteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Unfashionable NoHo
Posts: 11,053
Heh, blast from the past

Excellent set of links. I use TunePeddler.com & JewelBeat.com most, from the OP list. Great value, and wide variety of quality music.
Zensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #25
RyiGarry
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 101
I've used both MusOpen and
The Petrucci Music Library:
http://imslp.org/

for classical music. They often have different recordings, sometimes with slightly different instrumentation or arrangements - which can be useful if one of them is not suitable.
RyiGarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #26
ryanrapsys
Basic Member
 
ryanrapsys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9
I just made my music catalog available for licensing. Most of it was originally film score music for other indie and student films, but some may find it useful for their projects as a cheaper alternative. They're all available at 24/48, and the catalog is fully searchable with a large amount of metadata (instruments, genres, moods, etc.). Many of the tracks also have stems and/or alternate versions.

http://www.resolutionmusiccollection.com

Hope this is helpful!
ryanrapsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #27
soundslikejoe
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 68
***** Legal Footnote about RFM *****

To be a bit more detailed about RFM... and to help people avoid legal problems later....
Quote:
For anybody not entirely sure what Royalty free music is, the commonly agreed upon definition goes like this. You pay for a license once to use the music for as long as you want.

-- NOTE -- It's usually as simple as that. Although you need to check the terms and license agreement of each music library to be sure there isn't some kind of exception.

This license sounds great for a low budget filmmaker. "Pay once and use it in anything I make".
Originally, traditionally, and almost without exception.... Royalty-Free was created to eliminate "Mechanical" royalties associated with licensing. Prior to RFM, licensing music required a payment for mechanical copies of the final media produced. For someone doing a corporate video that was being distro via DVD... this mechanical fee would be a nasty expense for a relatively low value and low exposure production.

RFM was never intended to mean "purchase once and get unlimited uses in unlimited productions". In fact, for the MAJORITY of RFM libraries.... including most of those listed in this article... music is licensed on a single-use, perpetuity, mechanical-royalty-free, basis. Websites that offer multiple-use purchases are the minority.

That's a VERY important distinction.
soundslikejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #28
nightfalcon
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: London
Posts: 8
Are there any more websites that have free royalty free music? It seems that everyone uses these sites and the tracks are not really unique on YouTube anymore.

My channel is based around sketches and dramedies and I am in need of some really fresh music!.. Any resources on FRESH free RFM music would be great
nightfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #29
soundslikejoe
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 68
I don't know about fresh free royalty free.... but I've heard of QualityFreeMusic.com
Maybe that stuff would work well for your type of production?
soundslikejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:53 AM   #30
canonmaster
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2
hey nightfalcon i just received an email about more than 100 royalty free music tracks which the composer is giving out for free. recently i had the chance to listen to the tracks and i was actually very impressed with the quality.
I use Royalty Free Music a lot and I have never heard of him before so i would assume the tracks are very fresh. Maybe it would work for you check him out: http://www.909music.com/free-music
canonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
audio, music for film, production music, royalty free music, soundtrack


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk