• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

MovieCloud Breaks Hollywood's Monopoly

Movie Cloud

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know about a project I ran into on Indiegogo.com. It's called MovieCloud, it seems like it is going ot be like SoundCloud but for movies. Hear is the link: http://igg.me/p/105137

Movie Cloud is here

Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself, i work for a company that is Revolutionizing the Independent Filmmaking world. I have been with this company for a year and have witnessed the plans and details of what is going on in the next year, and it is amazing. If you want to check it out it's at: http://igg.me/p/105137 if not it was nice introducing myself, take care Independent world.

Joseph Gentile
MovieCloud

Hey guys, just wanted everyone to know about this company i work for. We are called MovieCloud and we are Revolutionizing the Independent Film world. Imagine if you had the contacts and the same information that the big 6 studios have. Could create a movie and profit? We feel all independents are just not given the chance to see the light of the day or the dark of the theatre, so this is where we step in. We will offer viewing and distribution of your films, imagine your film playing across all platforms and you are making the money off of it, not the distributor. Check it out and let us now what we can do to make it better or just show us your support by leaving a comment, thanks.

http://igg.me/p/105137

Would you like to see the 50,000 independent features that are made every year that Hollywood says you can’t see?
Too much hyperbole for me.

No. I do not want to see all of the 50,000 independent features.
Most of them are terrible. I don't even think I could watch one
a night every night for a year. I doubt even 365 of these are that
much better than the independent features I see now.
"Hollywood" does not say I can't see these films. "Hollywood" does
not control films in the way you say it does.

And maybe YOU have an idea for a movie. How many times have you gone to the movies and thought, “I could do better?”
Yet how many people who say that CAN make a better movie?
All 50,000?

Even when you accept every single independent feature made into
your "on-demand theatre megaplex" you will still be just another
distributor like the "Hollywood" you put down. You will offer a platform
to show films, but you will not be paying filmmaker very much to
show the movie. Not at $4 per month. If you paid each of the 50,000
filmmakers even $1,000 per film that would cost you Fifty MILLION
dollars a year.

With over 30 years of combined experience in film education and development, we know what people want.
Yet producers with the same (and sometimes more) more often than
not make errors in what they KNOW people want.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck on this project. Your overreaching
hyperbole turns me off. But I hope you get the $310,000 you need to
help independent filmmakers. I'll be one of the first to pay the $4 per
month you charge for access to 50,000 films per year.

Too much hyperbole for me.

I completely agree with everything Directorik said. The numbers don't add up for the filmmakers. You're only charging $4 a month for access; unless a title is a huge breakaway hit there's no way a filmmaker is going to recoup the cost of even the smallest microbudget feature. As for all the connections your service claims to provide, it seems like big talk with nothing to actually back it up.

Please forgive me slow mind. Can you explain in 25 words or less Exactly how it works?
Every big business has that one line hook.
Denny's/Norms "always Open"
Pep Boys "Light comes on just bring in your car"
Enterprise rental car "We pick you up"
Movie Cloud_____________
"We distribute Your film" is too general for me, sorry.
Thanks

It seems what they are are offering is a software package
including tutorials, databases, contacts, checklists and forms
along with classes from Dov Simmens, John Truby and Syd
Field.

You get an “office” on their server where you can collaborate,
socialize and network. Kind of like several dozen websites already
out there.

For $1,000 you actually get quite a lot. Almost all of it you can
find for free but that would take a lot of work so is seems like a
pretty good deal. And you can buy less if you can't afford a large.

However I STILL have extreme reservations about the 50,000
movies they will accept each year on their streaming service. This
is NOT breaking any monopoly - this is not paying filmmakers for
the rights to distribute their movies. Netflix is horrible (financially)
for independent filmmakers - this one is just as bad from what I
can see.

By the way: It is stated on the Indiegogo page and in the video
that “Hollywood” only lets you see 200 of the 50,000 independent
features made each year. According to Hollywood Reporter, Variety
and Deadline Hollywood in 2011 469 independent films were released
theatrically. I wonder what other fact he is unaware of?

But Simmens is very entertaining. It’s fun to watch him reading the
cue cards in this video.

Interesting. In my humble uneducated opinion I don't see the $1,000 price point working for indie folks.
A contact list without having a relationship with the people on it is a phone book. Calling entertainment people you don't know off a list of contacts is going to get you in the voice mail void to be deleted. Tutorials are cool, but I find great tutorials on youtube for free. There's definately some value in this offering. But for me I'm not spending $1,000 on this package deal. I really don't see a bunch of indie people doing it.

But hey if you give me $1,000 I'll stick your movie on a website and you'll probably get the 5-25 views you'll get off the "MovieCloud" platform. :lol:

It seems what they are are offering is a software package
including tutorials, databases, contacts, checklists and forms
along with classes from Dov Simmens, John Truby and Syd
Field.

You get an “office” on their server where you can collaborate,
socialize and network. Kind of like several dozen websites already
out there.

For $1,000 you actually get quite a lot. Almost all of it you can
find for free but that would take a lot of work so is seems like a
pretty good deal. And you can buy less if you can't afford a large.

However I STILL have extreme reservations about the 50,000
movies they will accept each year on their streaming service. This
is NOT breaking any monopoly - this is not paying filmmakers for
the rights to distribute their movies. Netflix is horrible (financially)
for independent filmmakers - this one is just as bad from what I
can see.

By the way: It is stated on the Indiegogo page and in the video
that “Hollywood” only lets you see 200 of the 50,000 independent
features made each year. According to Hollywood Reporter, Variety
and Deadline Hollywood in 2011 469 independent films were released
theatrically. I wonder what other fact he is unaware of?

But Simmens is very entertaining. It’s fun to watch him reading the
cue cards in this video.

$1,000? You kidding me? You know how many features I could make for $1,000? A lot!

12 day shoot
3 actors for 12 days, 3 actors for 5 days, 2 actors for 3 days.
Never more than 5 actors on set on any day.
Crew of 5.

At $12 per day for food each that’s $1,404.

How many feature length films can you make for $1,000?

For the record Rik (although, I'd never do it that way again), my first feature cost $250... I could make 4 features for $1k -- they'd suck 4 times in a row, but it could be done.

It's kinda beside the point if you can make a movie on $1,000.
The question is can you get all the software/stuff Movie Cloud offers for less than $1,000?
I think so. Most of the "hard" stuff that makes a movie great is writing a unique script and finding great actors. I don't see the software doing that for you. :)

A lot!

You just have to believe in your dreams.

Just exactly what "software, tutorials, databases, contracts, forms, agreements and checklists" are on these $69 and $169 flash drives? (And just exactly what is a "virtual production office with guaranteed marketing opportunities, worldwide distribution and revenue streams for your films?")

Just exactly what "software, tutorials, databases, contracts, forms, agreements and checklists" are on these $69 and $169 flash drives? (And just exactly what is a "virtual production office with guaranteed marketing opportunities, worldwide distribution and revenue streams for your films?")

Here's the answer I just got via email:

Here is a quick bullet-point rundown of what each pen will contain:

FILMMAKER - 2GB USB Pen Toolkit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 60-minute video tutorial - "Filmmaking Crash Course" - $550 Million Funding Database - Film Commissions & Contacts Worldwide - Talent Guild/Union Contracts - WGA, DGA, SAG & IATSE - Contracts & Agreements - Rules & Regulations - Pre-Production Tutorial - Hollywood Who's Who with Contacts - 42 Filmmaking Forms - 20 Pre-Production Checklists - Movie Cloud Start-Up Page and Name Reservation - More

SCREENWRITER - 4GB USB Pen Toolkit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 60-minute video tutorial - "Screenwriting Crash Course" - Screenwriting Software (Formatting) - Story Development Software (Beat Sheet) - 300 Hollywood Agents - 350 Script Buys - Option & Purchase Contracts - WGA Registration Forms - Legal Forms - Writer-For-Hire contracts - 600+ WGA (credited) Writers-For-Hire (if you need to find one) - Movie Cloud Start-Up Page and Name Reservation - More

PRODUCER - 4GB USB Pen Toolkit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 60-minute video tutorial - "Producing Crash Course" - Budgeting Software - Movie Studio Budgeting - Independent/Low-Budget/Micro-Budgeting ("Reverse Budgeting) - 15 Sample Budgets (Full) - 75 Pre-Production and Post-Production Forms - Check Lists - Producer Contracts - Hollywood's Top 50 Agents & Producer Reps - Hollywood's Top 50 Power Brokers & Deal Makers - Private Placement Memorandum template (+ Various Legal Forms) - Movie Cloud Start-Up Page and Name Reservation - More

DIRECTOR-ACTOR - 4GB USB Pen Toolkit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 30-minute video tutorial - "Directing Crash Course" - 30-minute video tutorial - "Storyboarding & Scheduling" - Scheduling Software - Director's Agent Directory (Names, Addresses, Contact Details) - Actor's Agent Director (same) - Casting Director Database - Actor Training Programs - DGA and SAG Rules, Regulations, Forms and Applications - 500 Actor's Agents and Managers - Movie Cloud Start-Up Page and Name Reservation - More

DISTRIBUTOR-FESTIVALS - 4GB USB Pen Toolkit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 30-minute video tutorial - "Distribution Crash Course" - 30-minute video tutorial - "Film Festivals - Everything You Need to Know" - Financing and Funding Software (and templates) - Film Market and Festival Directory - Hollywood & Global Buyer Directory - Distribution Legal Contracts - 60 Cable & TV Network Buyers - Top 30 Film Festivals - Application Forms and Details - Movie Cloud Start-Up Page and Name Reservation - More

Can you buy just one pen and see if you like it?
I hate not being able to test drive something.
The 'all of nothing" option doesn't work for me.

Here's the answer I just got via email:

Here is a quick bullet-point rundown of what each pen will contain:

FILMMAKER - 2GB USB Pen Toolkit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 60-minute video tutorial - "Filmmaking Crash Course" - $550 Million Funding Database - Film Commissions & Contacts Worldwide - Talent Guild/Union Contracts - WGA, DGA, SAG & IATSE - Contracts & Agreements - Rules & Regulations - Pre-Production Tutorial - Hollywood Who's Who with Contacts - 42 Filmmaking Forms - 20 Pre-Production Checklists - Movie Cloud Start-Up Page and Name Reservation - More

SCREENWRITER - 4GB USB Pen Toolkit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 60-minute video tutorial - "Screenwriting Crash Course" - Screenwriting Software (Formatting) - Story Development Software (Beat Sheet) - 300 Hollywood Agents - 350 Script Buys - Option & Purchase Contracts - WGA Registration Forms - Legal Forms - Writer-For-Hire contracts - 600+ WGA (credited) Writers-For-Hire (if you need to find one) - Movie Cloud Start-Up Page and Name Reservation - More

PRODUCER - 4GB USB Pen Toolkit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 60-minute video tutorial - "Producing Crash Course" - Budgeting Software - Movie Studio Budgeting - Independent/Low-Budget/Micro-Budgeting ("Reverse Budgeting) - 15 Sample Budgets (Full) - 75 Pre-Production and Post-Production Forms - Check Lists - Producer Contracts - Hollywood's Top 50 Agents & Producer Reps - Hollywood's Top 50 Power Brokers & Deal Makers - Private Placement Memorandum template (+ Various Legal Forms) - Movie Cloud Start-Up Page and Name Reservation - More

DIRECTOR-ACTOR - 4GB USB Pen Toolkit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 30-minute video tutorial - "Directing Crash Course" - 30-minute video tutorial - "Storyboarding & Scheduling" - Scheduling Software - Director's Agent Directory (Names, Addresses, Contact Details) - Actor's Agent Director (same) - Casting Director Database - Actor Training Programs - DGA and SAG Rules, Regulations, Forms and Applications - 500 Actor's Agents and Managers - Movie Cloud Start-Up Page and Name Reservation - More

DISTRIBUTOR-FESTIVALS - 4GB USB Pen Toolkit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 30-minute video tutorial - "Distribution Crash Course" - 30-minute video tutorial - "Film Festivals - Everything You Need to Know" - Financing and Funding Software (and templates) - Film Market and Festival Directory - Hollywood & Global Buyer Directory - Distribution Legal Contracts - 60 Cable & TV Network Buyers - Top 30 Film Festivals - Application Forms and Details - Movie Cloud Start-Up Page and Name Reservation - More

Back