• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Short Film help!

A girl puts post-it notes in books at a library. A guy starts to notice her.
How should I go about writing this?

I need help with mostly the middle and ending of this film. Please give me something!

The guy finds the notes and thinks she's a deranged
stalker. In the middle he and his friends go to great
lengths to figure out who she is. At the end he kills her.

Three act structure
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsBznn8D13zOdEI1dGU1VUxaVDhCQmVnVFBLeUxSaWc#gid=0

KISS

20110720StoryConstraints-Compact.jpg

I like that, but how would it end? And what should the notes say?
Pretty much, you don't have anything.

I am having terrible writers block right now! Aaaah.
A perv watchin' a girl put post-its in library books isn't much of anything.
You don't have writer's bock.
You got nothin'. :lol:

You gotta figure out the story.

- She's doing something.
- He's interested in either or both the notes and the girl.
- Why does she do it?
- Why does he care?
- Are there more books?
- Are there more people?
- Is there a conspiracy?
- Is it a game?
- Is there a romance?
- How does anyone become involved?
- What genre?
- How do you want this to end? Reverse engineer from there.

BOL! :yes:

How much of the script have you written? If you haven't already you should write what you've already decided on. Then once you get a feel for the way the story is playing out, you may come up with something else.

The other thing I do when I need ideas is I engage myself in a mindless task. For example, washing dishes or mowing the lawn. I happen to be a massage therapist so I find that a great time for thinking, too. Basically do something where you're using your hands but you don't have to think too hard about what you're doing. Then just let your mind wander. Think think think think think.

The important thing with this is to make choices. Start going through your 'What Ifs.'

What if the girl is mute and this is her only way of communicating?
What if the girl is kidnapped and is only let out to go to the library and this is her attempt at seeking help?

You get the idea. Then when something seems ok, it doesn't even have to be great, start running with that. Just pick something and do some more 'What Ifs.' Trust me, pretty soon you'll have an idea. Resist the urge to write everything down. Keep doing your mindless task, the busywork for your hands, until you absolutely are burning to write down your story. Then do it. In script form.

Bye bye, so-called 'writer's block.'

Just my two cents. May or may not work for you. But it's something to try.

The other thing I do when I need ideas is I engage myself in a mindless task. For example, washing dishes or mowing the lawn.

:yes:!!!

I totally miss mowing the lawn. Used to do it all the time years ago when I was still living at my mom's place. The combination of the mower's hum, walking back and forth, and the smell of freshly cut grass all helped to free the mind. Good stuff.

Nowadays I jog. Not the same, but it has been known to unstick those rusted gears once in a while!

And I've been known to run from the kitchen sink, hands dripping with suds, so I can get to the computer and write something down before I forget.

I got the same idea of the setting in the library:

Ben, an audacious mystery/detective reader finds little notes with the same sign on every mystery/detective book on the library. Imagining that this is one of the real-life thrilling adventures of Agatha Christie and the wit of Arthur Conan Doyle, Ben tries to uncover the hidden message set out by this mysterious person. He rips book pages, sneaks into the library at the middle of the night and steals student records from the Librarian.

Here's the catch: Every book says the title that leads to the other until the last book spells out his name.

What do you think? :]

The guy finds the notes and thinks she's a deranged
stalker. In the middle he and his friends go to great
lengths to figure out who she is. At the end he kills her.

BAM!!!, as Emeril says. I like it. That leaves you wondering, now, how the heck does he get from there to killing her? Being fond of the fantastical, romanticism, and suspense/thrillers, I'm left vaguely imagining mysterious, supernaturally (perhaps), twisted storytelling stuff. Doubleplusgood. =)

Last edited:
Back