Can anybody recommend me a camera?

I'm on a tight budget here for a camera. £700. I think that's around $950 or something like that. Even $1000 if it's amazing. It must shoot Full HD, and have magnificent image quality. It'll be used for filming, not so much photography. I'm not bothered too much whether it's an SLR or a Digital Video Camera.

Thanks! :)

What do you think was this shot on? The quality is superb right?

ScreenShot2012-04-01at204629.png

ScreenShot2012-04-01at204713.png

ScreenShot2012-04-01at205508.png

ScreenShot2012-04-01at205240.png

Yes, it was shot on a £400 T2i.

It's not only about the camera. This was lit with 4 Arri's! Its really about the light not the camera!

Also invest in good quality lenses!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I've heard about the T2i and how it's one of the main choices of DSLR for indie filmmakers. I looked at it before but then started to ignore it for some reason. But I think I might invest in this, and then that leaves me with more money to spend on a decent lighting system.

Don't forget the audio, either.

There's some good threads on the forum for budget-conscious shoppers looking for good audio gear.

Thanks, forgot about that. I'd limit my budget to about £350 with that. I'd get a system more likely. Maybe a shotgun mic or something decent that's going to last a while on me.

My new suggestion for people is that they forget about audio and focus on only buying the pieces of equipment that they themselves were going to be using.

If you're not a cinematographer, don't buy a camera or lights.
If you're not a sound recordist, don't buy mics, audio recorders or mixers.
If you're not a deer hunter, don't buy a rifle.

You will always be hiring or collaborating with people who own the gear. I'm a writer/director and I own a Canon T2i, spare lenses, Rode NTG-2, Zoom H4N, Final Cut Pro...etc, things that I use about once a year (except for FCP). Only spend your money on what you need. You're better off spending on getting people who know how to use the equipment because everything that I've shot on my camera has looked like shit, whereas the stuff I've shot with Phil (see above) looks great.

Just my tuppence worth.

My new suggestion for people is that they forget about audio and focus on only buying the pieces of equipment that they themselves were going to be using.

If you're not a cinematographer, don't buy a camera or lights.
If you're not a sound recordist, don't buy mics, audio recorders or mixers.
If you're not a deer hunter, don't buy a rifle.

You will always be hiring or collaborating with people who own the gear. I'm a writer/director and I own a Canon T2i, spare lenses, Rode NTG-2, Zoom H4N, Final Cut Pro...etc, things that I use about once a year (except for FCP). Only spend your money on what you need. You're better off spending on getting people who know how to use the equipment because everything that I've shot on my camera has looked like shit, whereas the stuff I've shot with Phil (see above) looks great.

Just my tuppence worth.

I couldn't have said it any better!

I don't know how serious you will be about your productions, or how serious you are, so you are considering an upgrade, but i can tell you, that I just want it to be as amazing as possible :)

I consider myself a cinematographer. I have lights, i have grip gear, i have lenses, i have got expensive rigs, i have got top of the line tripods, i have got sliders, follow focus, etc. EVERYTHING you need to make a movie LOOK good! (apart from the actors.. Can't keep them in a gear bag, can you?)

Now, when it comes to sound, what do i own: Zoom H1.. Thats everything. Do i use it? Nope.

So, as Nick said, i think you have to consider what your role in the production will be. Do you want to team up with people who work in the industry or want to work in the industry? Do you want to be the director? The Cinematographer? Sound Guy?

Again, my advice is: Team up with People! It will be much easier to work with a good team than try and handle it on your own! I tried doing that, but failed miserably and found, that the visuals are my strong side! So i get together with people like Nick and concentrate on making it look good! Nick directs the actors, makes sure the production runs smoothly and is the go to guy for script questions, etc...

Sound guy is always on my side! I don't need to worry about mic placement, sound technic, recording level! He just does it perfectly!

That's it. Sorry for the long post. Try to figure out what role you will be in the production!

Thanks for the advice.

There's a problem there about teaming up though. I'm 14 so I can't exactly go hiring sound recorders, cinematographers etc.... I can get a friend or two to help me no problem but the they know near to nothing about filmmaking. I understand I probably should focus on the area I'm strongest in, (Directing) but I can't get anyone else to handle the other jobs.

Thanks for the advice.

There's a problem there about teaming up though. I'm 14 so I can't exactly go hiring sound recorders, cinematographers etc.... I can get a friend or two to help me no problem but the they know near to nothing about filmmaking. I understand I probably should focus on the area I'm strongest in, (Directing) but I can't get anyone else to handle the other jobs.

Pff, excuse invalid! I am 16 and I got hired by people twice, thrice and even four times my age before! (As Director of Photography/Cinematographer) You just got to be super confident!

Talkt to Nick Clapper. He's a young director! (19).

I truly believe, that your age doesn't matter if you can show everyone what you can do!

Pff, excuse invalid! I am 16 and I got hired by people twice, thrice and even four times my age before! (As Director of Photography/Cinematographer) You just got to be super confident!

Talkt to Nick Clapper. He's a young director! (19).

I truly believe, that your age doesn't matter if you can show everyone what you can do!

Thanks! The best way is to show them a reel, right? And what's the best way to look for people interested in helping around your area? (Craigslist is rubbish around my area).

(Sorry if this is getting a bit off topic).

Thanks! The best way is to show them a reel, right? And what's the best way to look for people interested in helping around your area? (Craigslist is rubbish around my area).

(Sorry if this is getting a bit off topic).

You're in Scotland right?

Of course it really depends where you are. Glasgow and Edinburgh will have active filmmaking communities but you might want to check out the following (Google, when in doubt): Talent Circle, Casting Call Pro, Film Crew Pro, Mandy.com, Filmmakers United, Gumtree...etc.

You can also connect with people on sites like this (I know there are one or two Scots about) or just by liking relevant Facebook pages. Or Twitter, Twitter's great for connecting with people.

You're in Scotland right?

Of course it really depends where you are. Glasgow and Edinburgh will have active filmmaking communities but you might want to check out the following (Google, when in doubt): Talent Circle, Casting Call Pro, Film Crew Pro, Mandy.com, Filmmakers United, Gumtree...etc.

You can also connect with people on sites like this (I know there are one or two Scots about) or just by liking relevant Facebook pages. Or Twitter, Twitter's great for connecting with people.

Ok, thanks. I'm in Glasgow and didn't know there was filmmaking communities here. I know there's a good number of theater groups about, but not actual filmmaking groups. I'll check out the sites you mentioned!

Yes, show them reels, show them a CV of what you have done! Tell them about your passion! So many people encourage young people to work and pursue their dream! Loads of people want you on the set too, so you can get experience because you are the future of filmmaking!

Talk to people! Let them know who you are! Go to screenings, any expos you might find! Anything!

Yes, show them reels, show them a CV of what you have done! Tell them about your passion! So many people encourage young people to work and pursue their dream! Loads of people want you on the set too, so you can get experience because you are the future of filmmaking!

Talk to people! Let them know who you are! Go to screenings, any expos you might find! Anything!

Thanks! :)

I'm going to have a real good look around tomorrow on the internet, a proper deep search for some local filmmaking groups, upcoming films near Glasgow, something like that!

I'll throw my hat in with Nick and Phil and say that even as a youngster, it's a good idea to team up instead of tackling everything yourself.

Now, I'll also say that if you're aiming to direct, it's important to understand every area and job on set. That doesn't mean you have to be an ace with a camera or a makeup kit, but understanding the job means you'll staff it better AND know how to interact with especially uh better. You direct not just the actors, but every component involved so the story is told the best it can. This is especially true considering camera and shot composition. While the DP lights and frames the shot, it's done so according to what he and the director have determined will best tell the story. In order to understand composition, you'll need practice.

That doesn't mean to dump $65k in a camera. Again, we're talking basics. A $80 flip cam will work.

My opinion anyway. There's more than one right way to skin a cat.

I'll throw my hat in with Nick and Phil and say that even as a youngster, it's a good idea to team up instead of tackling everything yourself.

Now, I'll also say that if you're aiming to direct, it's important to understand every area and job on set. That doesn't mean you have to be an ace with a camera or a makeup kit, but understanding the job means you'll staff it better AND know how to interact with especially uh better. You direct not just the actors, but every component involved so the story is told the best it can. This is especially true considering camera and shot composition. While the DP lights and frames the shot, it's done so according to what he and the director have determined will best tell the story. In order to understand composition, you'll need practice.

That doesn't mean to dump $65k in a camera. Again, we're talking basics. A $80 flip cam will work.

My opinion anyway. There's more than one right way to skin a cat.

Thanks for the advice. I know a lot around the areas of directing/VFX/editing/cinematography. I could see myself needing a bit of help with audio possibly. I can get a bit picky, very fussy sometimes about the shot angles/framing at times, that's why I usually do it myself so I have complete control. As long as I can work closely with the crew (especially cinematography) I'd love to get new crew on board.

Back