• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "knickknacks" a short film...

The footage looks wonderful! The thing dragged for me a bit at first, but the ending was quite touching. I enjoyed it in the end all told.

Glad I did not give up half way through...there was an awful lot of a guy laying in bed for the first 3:09. If there were any way to make that shorter and keep your message, it may have been good to do. Some folks may give up halfway through and miss the moving part.

Did you do this all alone? It appears you had a stationary tripod for most everything that I can recall after watching it once through.

Pretty piece of work I think.

Wow, the opening scene in that bedroom is so absolutely amazing! The lighting is fabulous and it looks really cinematic! GH2 is brilliant! The only niggle there is, that i can see the lightstand in the mirror ;D

Thanks guys.

The slow first half was a risk I felt the need to take - wanted to make sure to portray his state.

Yeah - the lightstand... I couldn't figure a way around that one - just hoped that the majority of non filmmakers wouldn't take note of it ; )

Also, yes this was a solo project - writing, shooting, acting, etc. I was fortunate enough to get a great score written and performed by my buddy, Dominic Buscemi.

A friend of mine, Dominic Buscemi, wrote and performed the score - well worth the viewing just to listen to the music.

Interesting short. Well lit and a great mood was developed.

May I ask about your set up for the shoot?

Were you using one of the GH2 hacks? How had you set up your in camera profiles? What lenses did you use? And also, how much colour grading did you employ in post?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. I too have a GH2 so I'm always interested in how other people are using theirs at present.

Thanks, Henry.

No hack. I used smooth with everything set to -2. Lenses I used were mainly a Contax Planar T 45/2, a Panasonic Summilux 25/1.4, and the Panasonic 14-140. The majority of the color grading was just a minor crushing of the blacks, and an occasional color matching.

I do love this camera.

I really like it! This reminds me so much of the project I just finished. Very similar setup, and also a solo project! :)

I'll PM you the link to it if you want to check it out.

Each shot was well done but very slow, way over extended. Pacing was far too long too. More shots of loved one could have elevated story and added more emotion. I dig what your trying to say, but at 6:15 length -- everything could have been said with the footage shown but cut down 70% in length, for a total time under 2:00. My 2 cents is not worth very much cause I am not rich OR famous...

I'm a GH2 'er also. I like your acting. So you shot yourself? How does that work?

It's true, very similar to Cameron's short.

Good movie, I agree it's too long. I think I have an inkling what the problem might be, depending if it's truly a problem. I'm trying to edit a short I shot, wrote, directed, catered, and it's just so fucking hard to kill your babies. You might feel like every shot is as long as it should be, you're trying to convey loss and despair right, you HAVE to hold on those moments right? My film is also about loneliness. Is that how to convey loneliness? A long hold? I dunno but,
If many are saying it's too long, and you think you might agree, perhaps you want to pass it to fresh eyes with a machete.

Last edited:
Back