• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Rights to use a remix of a song?

A friend of mine remixed a band's song and I want to use the remixed version in my film. Does this have the same rules as when a band covers another band's song? What are those rules?

Would I have to pay both artists? Or just the band who wrote the original? Is it the same cost whether I use the remixed version or the original?

If you used the original version, you would need the permission (paid or otherwise) from both the artist and the music publisher.

By remixing the original without permission your friend has already violated copyright law, so I don't recommend using that version.

That's a good point.

What I forgot to mention was that the band that wrote and recorded the original song is also a mutual friend (we all grew up in the same town). It also happens that my friend who did the remix is a successful "remix artist" and was commissioned by the band's label to remix the song for a remix compilation album, although they didn't end up using it.

So in a perfect world, both the remix artist and the original band would let me use the track for free in my film because we're friends, but because there is a major record label involved, as well as publishers and managers, I will most likely have to pay someone, I just don't know who.

Back