• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

fliclink.com - The Newest and Best Indie Film Distribution Outlet

Hey all,

Check out our website www.fliclink.com

We are in pre-Beta which means we are currently accepting films for submission to the site for FREE! We are aiming to have the website live in beta in the next three months, and have 100 films available for purchase via streaming in 6 months.

Check us out, all the info is at the site. It is truly unique, and I think you'll be excited about it!

Jeff
fliclink.com

It seems like an interesting concept, but I have to say after reading the 'how it works' section I just found the whole thing confusing. Not really clear on how the purchase/rent thing works, and if I find it confusing it seems likely that potential audience/customers may too.

Hmm

So someone can buy a copy of a film. Once they own a film, if they are not watching it themselves they have the option to recoup the cost of purchase by renting it out (no doubt to all their FB buddies), thus driving more traffic...

"Accepted" films can't be rented until a copy has been bought... I'd wager dollars to donuts that most purchasers will be the original filmmaker. ;)

Pretty slick. :cool:

Thanks for your input, Donned ... We will have to revise it.

Basically, it will be a peer-to-peer platform for the purchase and rental of films. A user will purchase a copy of a film, which will give them the ability to then rent that film to other users.

At this point, we are trying to focus on the filmmaker, as we are in the process of acquiring quality content for the site. But there will be very exciting aspects to both sides of the platform, as filmmakers make money each time a copy of their film is sold, as well as each time it is rented by one user to another, and Users will have the opportunity to make the money back that they spent on purchasing a particular film.

Steve,

Not sure where you're going with that ... I was actually shocked to see that because I had never considered that a filmmaker would purchase his own film. I guess I kinda get it, IE : A filmmaker's project would not be available to be rented until it is first purchased, but keep in mind that if one copy of a film is sold, only one copy would be available to be rented at a time.

Further, we are going to offer 1 free purchase per month for the first year for each of our first 100 users. Thus, once we have our first 100 users (which I anticipate happening very quickly with the free purchase offer) we will be effectively purchasing 1,200 copies of films from our filmmakers in the first year (we will be giving the films away to our users, but we will be paying our filmmakers) and thus there will be at the very least 1,200 copies available for rent by the end of the first year.

Given our goal of having 172 films on the site by the end of the first year, this is really good odds for our content providers (our filmmakers).

There are plenty of other features we will be adding and offering that will keep traffic coming to the site, keep our users loyal and ensure the sale of the content on our site.

It really is going to be a great opportunity for those on both sides of the platform.

Steve,

Not sure where you're going with that ... I was actually shocked to see that because I had never considered that a filmmaker would purchase his own film. I guess I kinda get it, IE : A filmmaker's project would not be available to be rented until it is first purchased, but keep in mind that if one copy of a film is sold, only one copy would be available to be rented at a time.

I'm not going anywhere with it. Just thinkin' out loud.

You seriously never considered this possibility, though? :hmm:

If you set a low enough bar, you could rake in buckets of cash by allowing filmmakers to buy copies of their own atrocious film to rent out, and they'd do all the subsequent marketing & s/m for you. There are a ton of filmmakers who would do that, no questions asked. ('cos filmmakers are crazy & delusional)

Of course, you appear to be aiming for a much higher bar if you're intending to review each potential film first for quality... and that makes me happy. :)

At any rate, it's an interesting concept you have. I'll be following updates. :cool:

Thank you Steve...it makes me happy to see some of my own excitement reflected back!

Yes, I suppose I didn't consider it because we will be focusing heavily on curation - as you said we are setting the bar very high for films we acquire. I am confident that there are great films out there that haven't had the attention of the big 5 or so distributors simply because of lack of funding and the lack of having a star attached.

Though it is my goal for everyone involved to make buckets of cash, :) my first goal is to provide exciting content, a platform for talented filmmakers to have their films seen and sold, and a place for cinefiles to purchase films and be able to recoup their investment and even potentially make money for themselves. Meanwhile, casual users can rent a cool, quality film for a buck and in the process discover something unique that they may not have been able to experience otherwise.

I will keep you and others updated as we move forward!

Jeff

So if 20 people come to your site on a Friday night and want to
watch my movie but only three copies have been purchased I can
only make $1.50 (and you only .75) when we COULD be making $10 and
$5.

I don’t see how that is a good deal. Unless my movie happens to be
a huge hit that people are willing to wait a few days to see they
may just move one and rent something else and forget all about my
movie. Maybe two or three of them will return next week and I make
another $1.50.

Of course you’re thinking that 1,000 people are going to buy my
movie for $9.99 and then there will be 1,000 “copies” to be rented
out. But I seriously wonder how many titles will sell even 100
copies. If no one buys my movie then no one can rent it.

So I’ll have to buy a copy to at least get ONE “copy” out there.

Directorik,

You raise an interesting point... however, because of the double-sided platform, there will be enough users on the purchasing side that will want to purchase your film if it is good. There will be a sophisticated algorithm to rate films on several different levels and thus drive purchases of good content. If your film is great, which it should be, people will be willing to purchase it thus creating more copies to be rented.

Also, if your film is good, and rentals are in short supply, then users will be more apt to purchase the film netting you $5 instead of the $.50 you would have made off that film if it were available for rent.

In other words, the system of allowing films to be rented only after they are purchased creates an incentive for people to take a risk on good films, thus being able to watch it themselves, and creating an additional "copy" out there for people to rent. If there are only 3 copies of your film available to rent and the trailer is good and it has good reviews, there will be a fourth person on the purchasing side of the platform that will be willing to make the investment in the film assuming that the demand will be there for them to rent it out several times. If we are correct about this, your movie will make the initial $5 of being purchased by that marginal user, plus all the revenue you will benefit from it then being rented, since supply is low and demand is high.

I hope this makes sense, and we have other mechanisms in place that will put films that have a high rating on our home page, as well as featuring users on our home page that have a high user rating. In this way, we will reward films that are truly great, and films that aren't so great will not get as many purchases.

by limiting rentals to purchases, I believe you will actually make a lot more money than you would if we only offered it for rental.

It's important to keep in mind that there are users on both sides of the platform; those users that are more apt to purchase films and try to make money from renting them out (Thus promoting your film for you on our site) and those that are there to simply spend $1 to rent a film.

Best,

Jeff

Back