Canon 5D! WOW

Love the sensor. Great video.
My only concern is the overheating issue. (i tried to use the search option, but I got Canon stuff...not 5d stuff)

See....I have put myself in a position to get one of these cameras (Canon 5D mark ii) for little to no cost to myself. I will record sound separately (as need be when working with a camera), and I have no problems with clips having to be no longer than 12 min. cause while I will have a bunch of clips, they will all be only a few minutes long each.
I never film non-stop in long clips...always short clips and then stop filming until the next take.

However, I live in SOUTH Louisiana, and the heat in the summer gets 110 in the shade with a humidity beyond reason. If I need to shoot outside on a hot day such as the one I mentioned, I do not have a problem with video recording for 30 minutes and then taking a 15 or 20 minute break to let the sensor cool off somewhere airconditioned. I understand you can also turn off the sensor by turning off the video without turning off the camera...which will keep it cooler.
I am prepared to make these concessions....and I know...they are weird...and it would be easier to get a camcorder for this....but the sensor with the 5D has blown me away too much.

What WILL bother me is if the camera will stops working after 10 minutes if you are shooting on a hot day. Now....some say the overheating issue is that bad.....Others say that is exaggerrated and you could shoot for a much longer period.
Well...which is more accurate? Like I said....I am totallly cool with shooting for 30 minutes and then breaking while I walk in someplace airconditioned...ect....ect...
Are there longer batteries and can the camera be plugged into a power chord via battery charger?
Any experience with this one, guys?

1232109_090423121647_O2_COOL_Water_Misting_Fan.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

I shot a birthday party for a friend the other week.
About 3 hours of non-stop video, no overheating problems at all.

Might not be as valid as it wasn't in the middle of the day, but it wasn't cool out, either.

With regards to the batteries, you can get the no-brand ones off eBay...
I wouldn't really trust them in a $3k camera.
AFAIK the Canon ones come in one "size".

Another option is to get an external battery pinch like what I have:
lanparteshouldermountvmount.png

This baby will power your camera, 2 monitors, and a usb for most of a day with no problem.

Last edited:
First of all, thanks for the response.
josh-ozirigpro:
I Will be personally using this as a film making camera.
It won't be for an event like a party...
I have a few long chase scenes to shoot outdoors, and I am worried about the summer heat later on this year.
Also...if the camera does get overheated, does it hurt the camera at all? I know it is built to shut off when it gets too hot...but does it hurt it to let it get to that point or is it built for that?
I want to shoot a movie that I have written a script for....and I am prepared to make adjustments according to this cameras needs.
I will look into the power supply you mentioned. Great idea. External battery pinch

Gonzo Entertainment.
josh-ozirigpro raises the point about trusting cheaper batteries in your camera. I am going to have to go with whats more affordable....
Have you had any bad experience with off brand batteries?

One thing to keep in mind since it's so humid is the condensation. Taking it into an air conditioned place to cool off is going to get your camera's insides and outsides all wet. And visa versa, if I'm not mistaken.

p.s.
The only other camera I am considering (and can get through this unusual situation I am in) is the Sony NEX-vg20....so I have a choice.
(yes, I realize the Sony camcorder is built for movie making, and will work better EXCEPT in the video quality department. The sensor doesn't compare...and I am worried about it not looking as good in post)
I was won over the buy the canon being its video quality looking so much like film.
Also because I am recording all the sound separately anyway and I have no problem with the shape of the camera not being a camcorder, nor do I have a problem with the whole 12 minute limit.

If the heating comes into play....then it will bother me.
If you guys had this kind of CHOICE....would you still choose the Canon 5d if you had my intentions of filmmaking with desire of closest video to movie as possible? (can't do anything different than these 2 cameras....I wish I had more choices...but these are great. I Was just amazed at the Canon 5D)

One thing to keep in mind since it's so humid is the condensation. Taking it into an air conditioned place to cool off is going to get your camera's insides and outsides all wet. And visa versa, if I'm not mistaken.

Damn it.....this bothers me too.
Now I am worried about the humidity.
I still love the video on this better than the sony nex-vg2o...and the sound and video size doesn't bother me...but the humidity and the heat....damn it....this is hard to make up a mind.

It sounds like I might use the canon and have no problem as all...or it might be something to be concerned about.....I have no idea which one. :grumpy:

If you aren't event shooting I doubt you'd have any overheating issues even if it was 120 degrees outside in the Arizona desert. In narrative you stop and start the camera so much it just doesn't overheat in my experience.

I actually haven't heard of any overheating problems with the 5D, and have never experienced any myself. I believe most of the issues were with the 7D. The humidity/condensation issue isn't camera specific - that can happen with any video camera.

We did a test shoot on a rainy, 50 degree day. The noise crept in and got worse as we shot. It was particularly apparent in the dark areas of the frame. It really stood out when we played the last takes next to the earlier setups. Most people would never notice/care about it, but if you know what you are looking for/at it may drive you insane.

Having come from a film background, I'm on the fence. In those days, film grain was just another feature in the frame. But now we expect perfection.

Since I expect to be doing some visual effects, I added 2 standby camera bodies to my rental budget to guarantee a noise-free image when I need it.

Are you thinking the noise came from heat? I haven't seen that personally, and I wouldn't expect heat to be an issue at all in 50 degree temps. Were you shooting at a consistent ISO throughout the day?

The only time I've had major overheating problems with a 7D was when we were shooting in literal 107 deg F weather over concrete in direct sunlight and no wind. It got so bad at one point we had to swap out bodies every 4-5 minutes.

Other than that, it's been golden. A 7D isn't a 5D, but I think the 7D is supposed to overheat a little faster, right?

We did get heat warnings once during a wedding, again, ultra hot outdoor wedding. Never actually stopped recording though.

Back