• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Mojave timelapse

I was out in the desert last month, and decided to test out the Magic Lantern's intervalometer function.

After punching in the settings, I just let it run 'til the battery died.

Here it is.

http://vimeo.com/35121335

It looks much darker, exported. I'll re-render it sometime.

At any rate, a camera test. :cool:

Sweet man, that is an intense amount of stars. What frame rate were you playing back at? It was choppier than Vimeo normally is for me.

Thanks, Paul. I imported all the images into AEFX as a sequence at 24fps. The initial speed was much too fast for my taste, so I slowed it down quite a lot. I imagine that's why it looks a bit rough, especially as I didn't use the frame-blending or motion blur settings either.

There's several things I need to fix on it, including the original images to import. I resized them all from fullsize JPGs to 1080's before importing, and even at this point the images look nowhere near as amazing as the untouched originals. I need to nab a free weekend and really hammer out a proper workflow as I'd like to do a lot of these. I think I've been reading too much stuff by member Phil Arntz lol. :yes:

Thanks, Ernest. Interval was 30-seconds. That was a common number that I could set both the exposure & intervalometer to, so that it would snap a new pic immediately at an exposure I liked. All the images were shot as JPGs instead of RAW, for a few reasons.

1) I was pretty sure the memory card would fill up before the battery died, if taking RAWS. (This would have been the case, I learned)

2) The week before, I'd been out with a buddy who'd been doing timelapse on his 5D. He was taking 60-sec exposures, and that resulted in an incredibly long write-time after each shot finished. Even though a T2i RAW image is many times smaller than the 5D's, I didn't want to have to worry about calculating that time requirement either.

Doing this again, I would have lit the tree from the beginning. It was simply accident that it ends up looking so incredible later on, when the moon rose.

Now this is my kind of thing. Your camera was pointed towards the NW. I believe I spotted the star Procyon towards the end there. It was likely directly overhead somewhat when you started.

Quite a few dim stars captured . . . like you said, the background could be darker.

Wow. When you can't see the ground it almost makes you feel like you're riding through space on a tree.

Very beautiful! Love it!

The initial speed was much too fast for my taste, so I slowed it down quite a lot. I imagine that's why it looks a bit rough, especially as I didn't use the frame-blending or motion blur settings either.
Thanks, Ernest. Interval was 30-seconds.

Speed depends on taste in timelapses but if you found that it was too fast for you, i would keep the 30 second exposures but lower the interval. I use anywhere between 3 secs to 10 secs for my star timelapses.

Back