• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Are freeish sound effect drops available?

There are lots of threads for free score and music here but I saw nothing for free sound effects. I am thinking of startle effects and the like that are more single use accents to a film as opposed to music. Thanks for any input.

Google it.

You should layer sound effects and re-work them too to make them original.

BTW, there is no such thing as a free sound score you can find on a web site. You can only find stock music. A sound score is made custom for a film or video. Stock music does not match a film nearly as well as a good sound score.

I know. I'm from the old school of research. I rather enjoy
scrolling through [fruitless] websites because I often find
fruit I didn't even know existed. But I am in the vast minority.
Most today want one or two links and then be on their way
to something else.

I gotta stop suggesting a broader search - it shows my age.

On the positive side when I put in that link I actually looked
around a bit and found two sites I had not seen before. Sound
sites I would not have seen if I had followed one link.

I know. I'm from the old school of research. I rather enjoy
scrolling through [fruitless] websites because I often find
fruit I didn't even know existed. But I am in the vast minority.
Most today want one or two links and then be on their way
to something else.

I gotta stop suggesting a broader search - it shows my age.

On the positive side when I put in that link I actually looked
around a bit and found two sites I had not seen before. Sound
sites I would not have seen if I had followed one link.

I am firmly in the thorough search camp too. I am not a teenager myself and so have much catching up to do and less time to do it. I have so much to learn of this craft that I was simply striving for efficiency since I am still learning in so many areas. I am working to establish a base of resources to further grow.

If we were discussing things I am highly adept at, I would have likely given an answer similar to yours. Folks who know their craft well tend to forget just how little neophytes know. I am a film neophyte and I fully appreciate your humor and candor.

When I first started out in the audio post biz (2001) I spent literally dozens of hours scrolling through the endless Google results. I went through almost 400 pages of results. I found great stuff, good stuff, lots & lots of garbage, and there were endless duplications.

Buy-by-the-sound was/is great - you need just a sound or two and for a few bucks you've got them. Every feature required an order of a complete sound set or two on CD. And, of course, I spent many hours in the field with mics and a recorder, and many more in the studio creating more.

Another way to get free sound effects is to get demo CDs from the various vendors, You usually have to go to trade shows (AES, SMPTE, etc.) to pick those up, however.

We have a 'forever growing' library of sound effects at our website. A large number of them I have actually recorded, or created/designed myself. There is a "free" sound effects section, as well as a much larger range of affordably priced sfx. These are all downloadable, and all are unique to the site. You will not find the exact same sound effects anywhere else, and month by month the library grows.
http://rocksuresoundz.com

It's very hard for a sound effect copyright owner to police their sound effects. A lot of studios pay for rights to let clients pick out sound effects from entire libraries when clients rent out the studio. A lot of studios have gone out of business too. So how on earth does the copyright owner pick out what came from a studio via paid studio rental time and what sounds were acquired through some unauthorized means? That's why samples are released on websites (like SoundDogs) as low quality MP3's or with audio "watermarks". Speaking of SoundDogs... they have everything. Buy sounds individually. No need to buy entire libraries.

Freesound.org is great but check the licenses. You need to give credit for every sound effect used. That makes it prohibitive for a lot of projects.

Soundsnap is has been a great resource for me. It's not free but the yearly membership is a great deal if you do audio work on a regular basis.

http://hissandaroar.com/free-sounds/ has a good selection of interesting free sounds.

Aside from that, a portable recorder is probably the cheapest (although most time consuming) way to build a SFX library.

Finally, I know we're all independently minded and have a DIY mentality but often in the long run, hiring a pro is the most efficient and effective way to go. That's my admittedly biased opinion.

Back