Film School Help!

Hello indie users,

I currently live in tallahassee and have wanted to be filmmaker since a very young age. I applied to a few film schools and got into some that were too expensive for my family. The others, I didn't get denied but was denied from the university itself. I go to tallahassee community college and I'm not happy there because I'm not filming or doing anything film related. Anyways I just want some advice from an outside perceptive.

FSU's film program is one of the best in the nation but extremely hard to get into. I would have to transfer to FSU first before I can even be considered for admissions. My chances just kinda seem low

Valencia film school, I can get into since it is a community college and is based in orlando. From what I've read its very protocol and technical based. I haven't been able to talk to anyone in the program and was wondering if any one knew anything about it. Also the degree you get, doesn't allow you to transfer into a university unless you choose one of the pre-selected majors (none film related).

UCF's film school is the one I'm most interested but again chances seem low. However, they also have cinema studies which works very close with the film school and makes it easy to transfer to that program. I would have to wait some time to transfer into this program however.

I know this seems a lot but I need to figure what I want out my life and can use any help I get.

Film school is not the be-all some have made it out to be. You certainly won't be making any $$$ with your film school diploma.

Your solution is to buy a low priced used video camera and start making movies.

Good luck!

I have been doing that for a while now, but my reasoning for film school is that I live in a state where there are plenty of good film schools and it would be a waste not take advantage of it.

Hi! would you like to go to school on a tropical paradise? You could try International Academy of Film and Television here in Cebu.

The International Academy of Film and Television is Hollywood in Asia. The school has a specialized curriculum that combines theory with practical application under the mentorship of leading industry professionals. In addition to its finely tuned programs in filmmaking (Certificate Program and Diploma Program) and the Performing Arts, IAFT also conducts various Short-Term Workshops on topics that range from animation, editing and acting.

Film School Advice

I went to film school and have been paying it off for over 4 years. I don't think that it is a waste of time but if you can't afford it and you don't want to dig a huge debt hole for yourself than the best thing for you to do is try to get on sets as a PA and learn as much as you can. I learned a lot in school about building up my confidence and putting myself out there but most of the stuff I know today was learned from working on set. Hope that helps.
-Courtney

Last edited by a moderator:
Back