• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

YAFI Underground Audio How To Screencasts

Here is the first installment of this series. No script, so it's relatively train of thought, but I tried to keep it on track.

This first episode is an introduction to waveforms and spectral analyzers in an attempt to show how to start "seeing" sound rather than having to deal with an abstract collection of molecules bumping together in space. My goal is to cover discreet topics in each of these, but all of them will require this first one... how to "see" sound when you're on set or in the edit. We're building a soundscape just as a painter would make a landscape on canvas.

Lets dig in! Critiques are always welcome as are questions and suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MG7QxdjyiY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MG7QxdjyiY

Thank you. I have a vision in my head of all of the stuff that people keep asking questions around (not about and not necessarily direct questions, but a few points of understanding seem missing). The crux of the matter always seems to be that audio is harder to "see" than video... I can point to a part of the screen in video and say "that is wrong, here's how to fix it"... without that visualization bit, it's hard to get folks to hear the same parts I'm hearing when audio questions are asked online... so I thought I'd start with the tools to do that.

From there, I'm going to work toward showing how different sounds appear in the 'scopes, then onto specifics that I've seen asked and how to deal with those problems using the 'scopes technique. And requested topics to show specific solutions to problems that people are currently having.

thanks... it's pretty informal, not really a script, just a brief bullet point list on a text doc in the background to make sure I've covered the bits I thought were important for this one.

I found a piece of audio that illustrates some of the problems I mentioned in my first episode here and what they look like:

Clipped audio, note the straight lines top and bottom of the wave form
Screen shot 2011-12-02 at 11.48.41 PM.jpg
In the emptier part of the spectrum, note the sharp horizontal line. There is a "whining" or "Screaming" in the audio that is represented there.
Screen shot 2011-12-02 at 11.50.25 PM.jpg
To zero in on that frequency, with a Hi "Q" value (narrow range) in a notch filter or parametric EQ, turn the gain up all the way and sweep slowly left to right using the spectrum rulers as a guide for where to start (this one is around 7khz)...
Screen shot 2011-12-02 at 11.52.50 PM.jpg
once it screams louder, leave the Q narrow and the frequency the same, but drop the gain all the way down. LISTEN TO THE SOUND, did it remove too much?
Screen shot 2011-12-02 at 11.52.54 PM.jpg

Back