Business card Title

This question goes for those who wear producer/director/writer/editor hats for their films....

Looking at placing an order on vistaprint for some business cards to give out on film/music meet and greet events, but got a dilemma..

What title do you have on a business card? Director? Producer? For some reason "filmmaker" sounds waaaay too broad to me, and kind of vague..

Producer is probably the best.

Just don't do something like "President/Founder/CEO of ______ Studios", I don't think anyone would take you seriously with that (unless you drive a Benz and wear a suit 24/7, then maaayybbee haha).

"Filmmaker" is definitely too broad. And I always have thought that "president", or any similar title, is just way too pretentious, when the production company is basically you.

If your primary intent is to get jobs like the one you just completed, I think "freelance videographer/editor" might make sense.

When I had my cards made, I had no such desires, so I decided to have a little more fun with it. :D

20111106021452.jpg

Still not sure if that was a good decision. :lol:

"Filmmaker" is definitely too broad. And I always have thought that "president", or any similar title, is just way too pretentious, when the production company is basically you.

If your primary intent is to get jobs like the one you just completed, I think "freelance videographer/editor" might make sense.

When I had my cards made, I had no such desires, so I decided to have a little more fun with it. :D

20111106021452.jpg

Still not sure if that was a good decision. :lol:

Its a winner! Humor sells.

-------------

As for the OP's question:

Your production company name and your name ought to be enough.

I agree with the other posters that titles are tacky and might actually cause people to take you less seriously.

Look at it from an employer or clients point of view.

Over the course of a few weeks a producer is meeting people
and handed business cards. When it comes time to hire the
editor they flip through the cards they got. Who do they call?
The "Evil Genius", the multi-hyphenate or the editor?

I love the Evil Genius card and from what I know of you CF, it
fits. But if you are connecting with a producer looking for an
editor this card may not be the one getting you work. It's
perfect for a general calling card.

If you are experienced at directing and are meeting producers
looking for a director your card should say "director" and a link
to your reel. If you are an experienced editor your card should
reflect that and only that. Business cards are so cheap it can't
hurt to have several; assuming you are good enough at all of
them. And one, general, calling card is an excellent idea, too.

But if you are connecting with a producer looking for an
editor this card may not be the one getting you work. It's
perfect for a general calling card.

I agree. And so far, that's all I've used it for. I like your idea of having multiple cards. I think I shall get two more -- one for director, and one for editor. Cheers!

Crap, this same thing is putting a lot of stress on me right now.
I designed my bussiness cards, and everything, but I'm missing the right name to use for the company/endavour/prodco...

(That's another issue. Am I exagerating if I call myself and a couple of friends a prod. co.?

(That's another issue. Am I exagerating if I call myself and a couple of friends a prod. co.?

That's kinda why I went with the jokey "Evil Genius", because as of now, it's only been for fun. Someday, someday I tell ya', it's gonna be for money.

I like Rik's idea -- if you're legitimately actively trying to get work from it, I wouldn't use a Prodco, but instead something like "freelance editor", or just "editor", or "director/editor", or something like that.

Looks good but did you notice that slice taken off the right side of the logo? Looks like the font later is covering it.

Back