DSLR problem with filming drums...

I was considering using my t3i for shooting a fairly zero-budget music video every now and again. However, I tested it on a drum kit, and there is a strange bending effect that happens with the drumsticks. I think it's called the "wet-noodle effect". I found an example in another video (pardon the music; it's not for everybody, including me):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04L7tBPIVCQ

Does anybody know what exactly is causing this to happen? Is it the CMOS chip or maybe the lens? It seems to be entirely shot w/ DSLRs and towards the end of the video, the sticks seem to be fine.

Thanks for any help :D

Read refresh rate of CMOS sensors.

Doesn't get much better until you're shooting RED MX, Epic, or best of all Alexa.

You can also see it with Guitar Strings.

Gyst: Sensor captures images with a rolling shutter, so (in laymans) your camera's only capturing parts of the image at once.

It's the same reason why, when panning too fast, the image bends.

Yep, commonly reffered to as "rolling shutter". You think you have it bad, the 5D is even worse (bigger sensor). You can probably choose shots (focal lengths and framing) where it's not as in your face, where you'd have to be looking for it to see it.

Yeah, I was afraid of that :/

Thanks for the quick response though. So for other shots in the video where the sticks didn't bend, was that just probably shot w/ a CCD-chip based cam then? I was looking at the camera people in the shots, and they look like they're holding DSLRs, but I'm also fairly green to the whole game, so I could be wrong.

bill-cosby-jello.jpg

Back