Choosing lenses for a T3i

As with most here im on a verry tight budget. Im going to get a T3i body and im looking for lenses. Mind you im only an amature so a $200-$1000 lense is not pratical right now. I will be shooting both (alot of)video and still. So im thinking of a telephoto lens and a wide angle.
I saw this lens that had good reviews..http://lenshero.com/lens/Sigma-50-200mm-f4-5.6-DC-OS-HSM-Canon-ef-lens

I have seem wide angle lenses really cheap but i havent researched the details..prime vs macro ect....

what should i keep in mind when im buying these lenses? What positives and negitives for each lense should i focus on??

Get a lens with Fixed aperture, throughout the whole focal range!

Because if you are at 50mm, with an aperture of F4, the last thing you want, is when changing the framing with zoom, that your aperture goes to F5. You would have to readjust your whole settings!

Get a lens with Fixed aperture, throughout the whole focal range!

Because if you are at 50mm, with an aperture of F4, the last thing you want, is when changing the framing with zoom, that your aperture goes to F5. You would have to readjust your whole settings!

ok thanx!

Do you recomend a certin manf and verision...so many to look at and most do not have alot of feedback or reviews i can go on. Some of these decriptions do not say if they are fixed apeture or not. Remember im on a budget! lol

With the help of a suitable adaptor you can buy some really good vintage lenses for reasonable prices. Why pay for auto focus and exposure when you don't need it? I really like having an aperture ring cause that saves me combination button presses and can get straight to the aperture settings.

Keep in mind your crop factor. (x1.6 for T3i) so a 35mm lens on a T3i is equivalent to a 56mm lens on a full frame camera.

Look for lenses with fixed apertures. If it's not a fixed aperture then it will be displayed: 18mm-55mm F/3.5-5.6. (note the dash)

EDIT: If you plan on buying a full frame DSLR camera in the future your Canon EF-S lenses will not work. EF-S denotes a 35mm mount with an optical range for APS-C sensors. Nikkon's is DX, and Sigmas is DC.

EDIT: Also I would recommend getting a prime lens instead of a zoom lens. And take into consideration full time manual focus (FTM), and auto focus (AF). And whether the lens utilizes a USM motor, or non USM.

EDIT: FTM basically is a manual override of AF, pretty useful instead of switching to manual. USM basically a quieter motor used to focus, it also focuses a lot faster, and more accurately than non-usm, or micro USM motors.

Last edited:

I don't know much about adapters, but why are you looking at T-mounts to EF bodies? I thought you wanted a FL FD adapter?

I've had success with M42 mount lenses on the Canon 7D and t2i. The nice thing about that route is it's fairly cheap and the M42-to-EOS converter is simple. (You don't need the one with electric/auto focusing capability, as you'll be focusing manually anyway.) It involves no optics, which you'll run into with an FD-to-EOS converter. What generally happens there is a bit of c.a. / color separation added to your picture due to the inferior glass sitting between your camera and lens.

A great little lens is the 50mm Super Takumar f/1.4. Got mine a while back on eBay, but it seems the price has increased due to popularity.

Shooting with a standard 50mm lens on an APS-C / "crop" sensor will feel more like shooting with an 80mm lens. You'll get that nice, shallow depth of field... but you'll find yourself backing off the subject quite a bit. That may or may not be a concern, but wanted to give you a heads-up.

Another lens I've used is an M42-mount 28mm f/2.8. Not as fast, but probably more versatile for crop cams in terms of focal length.

Oh, and I wholeheartedly echo the above advice regarding constant aperture. If you go with a zoom lens, that is important. At least, if you'll be zooming while the camera is recording.

Hope this helps!

I don't know much about adapters, but why are you looking at T-mounts to EF bodies? I thought you wanted a FL FD adapter?

Its because im a total noob at this....i still am doing alot of research on lenses....its a little confusing with the different standards and options and such. So in short i wasent aware i was looking at t-mounts..now i have another thing to put on my list to research.

Thanx fer pointing that out....this is why i posted this question (its prob been posted an 1000 times here!)

I've had success with M42 mount lenses on the Canon 7D and t2i. The nice thing about that route is it's fairly cheap and the M42-to-EOS converter is simple. (You don't need the one with electric/auto focusing capability, as you'll be focusing manually anyway.) It involves no optics, which you'll run into with an FD-to-EOS converter. What generally happens there is a bit of c.a. / color separation added to your picture due to the inferior glass sitting between your camera and lens.

A great little lens is the 50mm Super Takumar f/1.4. Got mine a while back on eBay, but it seems the price has increased due to popularity.

Shooting with a standard 50mm lens on an APS-C / "crop" sensor will feel more like shooting with an 80mm lens. You'll get that nice, shallow depth of field... but you'll find yourself backing off the subject quite a bit. That may or may not be a concern, but wanted to give you a heads-up.

Another lens I've used is an M42-mount 28mm f/2.8. Not as fast, but probably more versatile for crop cams in terms of focal length.

whats the name of you converter? and yeah i saw a verry informative discussion about vintage lenses esp some russian vintage ones on another forum but i dont want to post a link because i dont think its not allowed....maby a admin can give me the ok to post it :huh:

i have a old AE-1 cannon back in the day when i took photo class in high school! But the camera is in florida and im in MD right now. so im in hope i can find a adaptor from that basic lense and others like it.

Last edited:
This is the type of converter I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-M42-Lens-adapter-Canon-Eos-1D-5D-II-7D-500D-/250641613401?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5b678259#ht_500wt_1180

I picked up a couple so that I could leave them attached to the back of the lenses. Easier to change them out that way, than to unscrew the lenses from the mount each time.

Ya i was thinking about that also..if i left on the adaptor it would make changing the lense much faster!

Thanx bro!

Back