Filming Lens for Canon 550d

Hey everyone,

Currently i have a 50mm f1.8 for my Canon 550d. Makes it really hard to film as it automatically zooms in loads.

Im looking for a good lens for a price around £100-£300. Will be used for short films. Just need something which is a good general lens.

Cheers

I don't completely understand. It's a prime lens, so it doesn't zoom. Do you mean the field of view is too narrow? Try a wider lens, something like a 20mm or 25mm.

Sorry i dont know the correct word as my knowledge of lenses is terrible.

I just find i have to get really really far back to get everyone into shot.

Is there any that you would recommend?

You are talking about the 'Field of View' when you mention you can't get all the people in the shot.

A lot of people buy 3 prime lenses

a 20mm or 25mm like Sin mentions. This will give you a wide field of view where you will be able to capture everyone in the frame.

You already have a 50mm

and something like an 85mm lens.

This will give you a nice selection of shots.

Well, your 50mm acts as a 80mm, because you have a crop sensor camera, which "magnifies" every lens, time 1.6.

So, I am sure, everyone said, get a 50mm, because thats the most natural to your eye. 50mm should always be your standard focal length!..
The 50mm lens is designed for a FULL-Frame Camera though.

Because you want your standard lens, you want to get something like a 35mm.
I find, that the Samyang 35mm F1.4 is a brilliant lens! It is probably the best lens on a budget and it will run you about £350.

I have made the same experience with the 50mm F1.8, and switched over to the Samyang 35mm and its great!

Go for it!

Thanks alot everyone :)

You all easily solved my problem. Next pay check i shall be getting a new lens. Seems like the Samyang 35mm its pretty good after looking at some stuff.

Cheers guys/girls

Thanks alot everyone :)

You all easily solved my problem. Next pay check i shall be getting a new lens. Seems like the Samyang 35mm its pretty good after looking at some stuff.

Cheers guys/girls

Check out 24mm, 28mm and 35mm. See which one seems have the kind of field of view u want. Im sure the 35 looks great right now compared to ur 50 but u may find 28 is even better suited for ur needs.

Basically, im just saying do ur research and homework b4 buying lenses.

Back