Super Summer Contest!

I've noticed a couple of phenomena relating to contests and competitions on Indietalk. Firstly there are some members on here who are vastly more experienced than others in terms of production and post and this means that there's likely to be a big shift in quality between the best and the worst. Another phenomenon that I've noticed (and I include myself in this) is people talking and worrying but not actually doing.

So how do I kill two birds with one stone? Simple, the Super Summer Contest! :D

I consider this the spiritual sequel to Secret Santa and it comes in three stages. You can take part in one stage, two stages or all the stages- it's up to you!

Stage One- Concepts (Deadline 1st August)

The first stage is all about the concept and it takes the form of a short story. Basically you write a story about anyone you like, set it anywhere you like and have them do anything you like. The writer has total creative control over this story. Once all the submissions are in, they get posted and people vote for their favourite. Simple! The winner wins the prize.

Read and vote here!

Stage Two- Screenplays (Deadline 1st September)

Immediately after the end of Stage One, Stage Two starts (duh!)! People who sign up to this stage are allocated a random short story from Stage One- their job? To adapt that story into a short screenplay. The writer here has total creative control over adapting the material. They can stick close to the story or spin off in other directions. The only requirement is that it be in some way an adaptation of the source material. Then, like Stage One, they're submitted, read, voted on and the winner awarded a shiny prize!

Stage Three- Production (Deadline TBC)

Can you guess? That's right (I assume), people who sign up to the final stage get to turn one of the short screenplays into a short film. The format remains the same with the final projects completed, posted and voted on and the winner of winners announced!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I'm pretty sure that everyone on this site can contribute to at least one part of this challenge. Of course feedback and suggestions will be taken into account and prizes for all the stages will be settled upon and announced in due course.

At the end of this we could have a film directed by Member A, written by Member B based on a story by Member C and I for one think that would be really cool.

But if you can't commit to making a film, why not write a 1000 word story? How long would that take you? An hour and a half?

In the word's of Nike, Just Do It!

Please send all your submissions to nick[@]theclapperbored.com

Last edited:
I'm working on a stage 1 for you, I'm already looking at doing a stage two for dejager, and no time for a stage 3 I think.

The only thing that would be great is, that if we could start Stage 3 around August 3rd-4th or sometime then!

Last edited:
I would love to take part, but as it stands now, I certainly can't contribute to part 1 or part two-I literally have a very crucial real life situation that I need to work on resolving over the next 6-8 weeks. A pity, because this sounds like it is going to be very fantastic with some incredible creativity! Fantastic idea Nick! You seem to really get some fantastic ideas going!

It will be enjoyable to see what everyone comes up with! Just a real pity the logistics don't allow me to take part. :(

I'm working on a stage 1 for you, I'm already looking at doing a stage two for dejager, and no time for a stage 3 I think.

That's great about the first part, not sure I understand the second part and I think the third part might be true of a lot of people! :D

We'll have to wait and see a bit. Once the screenplays are posted people might suddenly be gripped by one of them and inspired to make it into a film...

Phil_UK said:
The only thing that would be great is, that if we could start Stage 3 around August 3rd-4th or sometime then!

That's possible Phil. It depends how long people feel like they need for the writing stage (and I need time to come up with some cool prizes!). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Tinalera said:
I would love to take part, but as it stands now, I certainly can't contribute to part 1 or part two-I literally have a very crucial real life situation that I need to work on resolving over the next 6-8 weeks. A pity, because this sounds like it is going to be very fantastic with some incredible creativity! Fantastic idea Nick! You seem to really get some fantastic ideas going!

It will be enjoyable to see what everyone comes up with! Just a real pity the logistics don't allow me to take part.

:( Well the option's always open to you. Maybe you can do Stage Three if it falls at a better time for you?

But I agree that even if you're not participating it'll be a really interesting process to see. That said: PLEASE PARTICIPATE! :lol:

That's possible Phil. It depends how long people feel like they need for the writing stage (and I need time to come up with some cool prizes!). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Pricewise, you could talk with an admin, so that the winners of the collaboration process at the end, recieve a one year Premiere membership!

So lets say, that A guy from Stage 3 made the Screenplay from person of Stage 2, who adopted a Story from a guy from Stage 1 recieve the premiere membership!

I guess that Indietalk will be quite open about this :D

What I meant about the second part is that I'm already writing out a script right now. 2 is too much for the spare time I've got. Maybe if one is short and good enough, I'll go shoot a stage 3 with the epic and call it practice.

What I meant about the second part is that I'm already writing out a script right now. 2 is too much for the spare time I've got. Maybe if one is short and good enough, I'll go shoot a stage 3 with the epic and call it practice.

With the epic?
Darn you! I wish I could :D

That's great about the first part, not sure I understand the second part and I think the third part might be true of a lot of people! :D

We'll have to wait and see a bit. Once the screenplays are posted people might suddenly be gripped by one of them and inspired to make it into a film...

:( Well the option's always open to you. Maybe you can do Stage Three if it falls at a better time for you?

But I agree that even if you're not participating it'll be a really interesting process to see. That said: PLEASE PARTICIPATE! :lol:

I will see what I can do with stage 3 and how things are there, if I can, I will Nick :)

Working on stage 1 :D
I'm trying to think of a good idea that I wouldn't mind letting someone else write/direct. It's proving kind of difficult lol

If its good, I will shoot it for ya :)

I could put it into screenplay format and shoot it myself if I wanted, but the people who sign up for Stages 2 and 3 are given random short stories/screenplays to work from, so I'll be working on someone else's stuff if I choose to sign up for those stages (which I doubt I will because I only like to write/direct my original ideas).

Last edited:
Argh! As if there wasn't already enough going on, you have to go and make a fun summer contest. Damn you, St. Nick!

thinking_cap.jpg

Ok this my current thinking on Stages Two and Three.

After the voting takes place on the previous stages then the random assignment of stories or scripts is taken from the best ones, according to the voting. But I thought I would add the caveat (especially for Stage Three) that if there's a specific script that you want to shoot you can let me know and have that one assigned to you. If you don't mind and like a surprise then it's random but if there's a particular one that you're drawn to then you can choose it. It's a bit like the Hogwarts Sorting Hat.

So I hope everyone takes Dr Jeff's advice and puts on their thinking cap. If there aren't at least 2000 participants I'll be really upset... :P

I'm in for parts 1 and 2! Hopefully when part 3 comes around I might be up for it, but I just can't commit to it, as I still have no experience and would hate to submit something sub-par and ruin somebody elses hard work!

That said though, maybe I'll be inspired!

I'm in for parts 1 and 2! Hopefully when part 3 comes around I might be up for it, but I just can't commit to it, as I still have no experience and would hate to submit something sub-par and ruin somebody elses hard work!

That said though, maybe I'll be inspired!

That is the whole point!
Challenges are for you, to give everything and then try to make them good! If it is not good, it's alright!
It's a challenge and not a paid job!

Awesome! This is a great idea! It would be cool if the prizes were like a dslr camera or something. But a 1 year premiere membership would be sweet to.

Back