Different Audio options?

Hey whats up guys. With a friend, I'm planning on doing a short sketch comedy spoof of Harry Potter-Voldemort cooks dinner for the other Death Eaters in his clique-its a raw rat. I have a generic HD camcorder my father got me off the internet. I dk the brand, none is listed. It takes decent video but the problem is there's no mic input. What audio options, besides recording sparate audio and trying to edit to snychronize with video, do I have? It has an AV input as well as a regular usb(the size of a flash drive). Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Without knowing the specifics about the camera I cannot recommend anything specific to record audio to camera.

Believe it or not it will be probably be more expensive than recording with a separate audio recorder.

I don't know anything really specific about the cvamera. My father got it for me as a present but he didn't really know what he was looking for. It has manual settings but no mic input. It records to SD cards only and is an HD camcorder.

How would I go about reclording separate audio? Is there a mic I can hookup through the AV or USB outlets? Thanks Alcove.

How good of a quality of your vidro do u want?

The cheapest and crappiest, but fastest way I d suggest is to plug in small mic to your computer, run wav recorder, and off I go. The quality will be horrible.

Another cheap/crappy version is to record it on your phone. Again, quality will be pretty much worthless.

or just record it on your camera built in mic, if its your first videos, no need for expensive gear.

What I did before, with my first 10 vids is that id shoot a video, and record the audio right away, by holding camera right by my face. It was horrible, but good for learning.

Now, if you want something actually usable - u ll need to borrow portable recorders and good mic or spend some cash and practice. Or bo

There are lots of cheap mics and cheap recorders. The quality is marginal, but as long as you stick the mic on a boom and attempt proper booming techniques your audio will improve; almost anything is better than the camera mic.

The Zoom H1, Alesis PalmTrack and Tascam DR-05 are all under $100. The Rode VideoMic is around $150, and there are (shudder) cheaper mics. You can DIY a boom-pole for $30.

Just keep in mind that this is all high impedance consumer fare and will have some noise issues.

There are lots of cheap mics and cheap recorders. The quality is marginal, but as long as you stick the mic on a boom and attempt proper booming techniques your audio will improve; almost anything is better than the camera mic.

The Zoom H1, Alesis PalmTrack and Tascam DR-05 are all under $100. The Rode VideoMic is around $150, and there are (shudder) cheaper mics. You can DIY a boom-pole for $30.

Just keep in mind that this is all high impedance consumer fare and will have some noise issues.

Are those just for camcorders with mic inputs? Do I record separately? Conceivably I'm gonna need another guy to hold the bookm mic if so, correct? Thanks.

The Rode VideoMic

down-arrow.gif

26256_p.jpg

Plugs into the Tascam DR-05

down-arrow.gif

757065.jpg

You mount the VideoMic onto a homemade boom-pole.

19141328_4.jpg

Someone will have to swing the boom for you.

Hey I know its an old post but i was doing a little research into getting one of these Alcove posted. Does anyone know what the distance of quality sound is? Can't find anything online about how far before you start to drop sound pickup. Thanks.

The Inverse Square Law

In simple terms, this means that a sound twice as far away is only one-fourth as loud. A sound four times as far away is only one-sixteenth as loud. So a human voice that records with adequate volume three feet away is just one-sixteenth as effective at twelve feet.

Just another quick question. How would I capture audio in a long shot. Should I see about getting a tie clip mic? Is this usually done by recording the track separately..

Depends...

If you can afford to own or rent wireless lavs that's one option. The other is to do the best you can with the boomed mic and replace that dialog with dialog from 2-shots and close-ups, or do ADR.

Thats true. I 'm looking around they sgot some that are pretty expensive and some that are kinda cheap like 10-25$ for 1 system. Might do that. Just order a rode mic for 85$ and then its onto that recorder above. So that recorder will record the dialogue as its being said on video and all I need to do is sync it in post?

Looking to get one of three(lost my bid for the rode)

okay so:1) Rode Videomic
2) Azden SMX-10 $50-70
3) Audio-Technica ATR6550 Shotgun 40-60$

I think they can all hook into the Tascam DR-05. Anyone have any experience with any of these? (Besides the Rode Videomic) Any of them better than the Rode? Are they worth it?

or should I try and spring for the Rode NTG-2? Thanks.

edit: nevermind, just got the technica combined with a Zoom H1. I think thats a good start

Last edited:
Back