Carry Speed Vfinder LCD View Finder on the T2i Review

Hi all,
I got my carry speed LCD view finder in the mail yesterday and played with it well into the night.

My purpose with ordering this item was to prove the utility of an LCD view finder on my T2i without throwing downthe $500 needed for a Zfinder or Letus Hawk.

There are several LCD view finders available in the under $150 range, the LCDVF is a popular choice, watch out though, there are some knocks offs going by the same name on ebay.

The LCDVF and Carry Speed LCD View Finder seem about equal in design. Neither has a diopter adjustment for example, both look about the same. Enough about that, back to the review...

In the box came the viewfinder, two metal mounting frames, a lanyard and a cleaning cloth. No instructions.

Installation was easy. Peal the paper off the sticky bits on one of the metal frames and stick it on the LCD screen. It lines up easy and has a nice little nub to hold while you position it. I cleaned my lcd screen just prior using a lens pen (those things ROCK!)

I put a little weight on it and let it set for about an hour. Dont know why, seemed like a good idea.

First use:
The magnetic bits that hold the view finder on the metal frames are positioned in such a way as to sorta LOCK the viewfinder in place. There was no, slipping around or anything. It felts how you say???, "solid like rock", :)

The eye cup is HUGE and comfy, but it did fog with my hot eyes, yes I have hot eyes... pull back a bit and it clears easy. The optics are cheep and it shows. The LCD is nice and clear, just sorta pin cushioned around the edges. With these old (and hot) eyes a diopter would be nice.

All of the buttons are accessible, its a good fit.

Even with the listed negatives, having the LCD screen big and clear and bright right in your eye is very good! Focusing is easier, though still iffy without using screen zoom. Holding the camera steady is also much improved with that solid point of contact. For run and gun, and with practice, it might be better then a shoulder rig... I plan to use it WITH my shoulder rig so.. meh.

Wheatgrinder gives it a thumbs up!

P.S. Ill be purchasing the letus hawk as soon as my Letus Extreme sells on ebay..

Back