Rent a RED at half price

I'm considering the purchase of a RED camera this week. As part of my plan to be able to make the loan payments, I'm planning to rent it out, at half standard pricing.

So $250/day 750/week, with kit.

I'd like to know how many of you out there see yourselves renting it from me for at least a day this year. That will help me decide whether I can afford this 35 thousand dollar purchase.

That's 1500 for a 2 week shoot at release movie quality.

biggest issue i would see having people on here rent the camera from ya... wouldnt be so much on the price... cause that price sounds AWESOME!!!

but ... the amount of processing power needed to render these shots afterwards... i think is pretty intense, is it not?

if its not... then this should be something anyone on here should think about... at least for a week or two...

you should make 1400 for 2 weeks hahahahaha just as an incentive for the consumer

You definitely need to factor in at least three trained camera ops and a professional editing suite.

It may only be $250 a day and you may only need it for two weeks but if you're having to hire out an editing machine for the entire edit, how much will that cost?

Where is this movie going to be broadcast? Because only the very biggest cinema screens require RED+ standard footage to look good...

Im not sure how successful you are going to be in renting out the RED. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want to purchase the RED? Is it to start a business in renting it out or do you want it to film your own movie?

Mentioned it before, the main rental house in Nashville (DR&A) sold one of their two reds because their rental business on them tanked, thanks to the 5D. Two years ago ALL those country music videos were shot on a Red, now they are all shot on 5Ds.

"but ... the amount of processing power needed to render these shots afterwards... i think is pretty intense, is it not?"

Much reduced editor options is what scared me off on my last film.

I have not had any problem editing 1080p high color footage. I have a dual xeon server and CS5. You may be thinking of the RED 4k which will mess you up if you have a cheapo editing system. The one I'm discussing should work well on a quad core with premiere.

I have not had any problem editing 1080p high color footage. I have a dual xeon server and CS5. You may be thinking of the RED 4k which will mess you up if you have a cheapo editing system. The one I'm discussing should work well on a quad core with premiere.

No point in shooting on a Red unless you are gonna shoot at least 2K. If you're just gonna shoot 1K (1080P), why bother.

Even if I knew you in real life, I'd be very wary of renting a camera package in those circumstances - not because of being ripped off or anything like that, just as a practical consideration. If I were to rent from a proper rental house, and something didn't work (through no fault by either party) I could get a replacement fairly quickly and easily. If you ship your camera out to someone who's spent $10,000 on a crew, actors, locations, props etc. for a two day shoot, what happens when the camera dies? Can you realistically support a crew several hundred miles away?

No point in shooting on a Red unless you are gonna shoot at least 2K. If you're just gonna shoot 1K (1080P), why bother.
…and if you shoot 2K, you're using a 16mm sized area of the sensor, which is impractical unless you're doing slo-mo/want some nice telephoto shots.

Last edited:

well, I personally was planning on shooting higher in some instances, but you were asking about it producing footage that could be edited more easily.

FYI a red will look far better than 1080p than say a PMW ex-1 at the same res. It's about color depth, light sensitivity, etc. The idea that resolution is the biggest part of screen quality is the single biggest misconception amongst indie filmmakers. I have like 10 guys a day tell me, I can get a 1080p video camera for 800 bucks, so that's just as good as filming 1080p on a RED. No. Just no.

About the other accoutrements such as viewer, battery pack, etc. A base usability kit will be provided (what you need to shoot) and you can rent other items such as wide angle lenses, locally, or through us at a similar half price vs. standard.

Even if I knew you in real life, I'd be very wary of renting a camera package in those circumstances - not because of being ripped off or anything like that, just as a practical consideration. If I were to rent from a proper rental house, and something didn't work (through no fault by either party) I could get a replacement fairly quickly and easily. If you ship your camera out to someone who's spent $10,000 on a crew, actors, locations, props etc. for a two day shoot, what happens when the camera dies? Can you realistically support a crew several hundred miles away?

Well, Chillpie, I thought about this, I guess that's what you get for twice as much money. Me, Id take my chances at 250 a day. These things aren't like Ferraris, where they are in the shop every other week. I've actually never had a camera fail me in the field. I guess it's a risk/reward scenario on that particular point. Perhaps this deal is better suited to those with small daily expenses, or a more limited crew.

Last edited:
The point is, if you're going to shoot on a Red, you'd probably shoot 4K, why else spend the money to shoot on a Red. That means your editing options are more limited, which makes it more expensive, piling more onto the cost of production.

It's a great camera, I'd love to shoot on one. I'd also love to shoot on film (above all else, I hope I get to someday), neither is probably realistic for most of us at this point. I am in the upper stratosphere among people who post on this board in that I spent 7K on a 35 minute short and 5K on a 25 minute short, and my minimum budget for my planned feature is 30K to 40K, and the exepnse of shooting on a Red is way out of my league. The only people in our budget range who shoot Red are film students who have free access to the camera, and a cheap editor at school.

The point is, if you're going to shoot on a Red, you'd probably shoot 4K, why else spend the money to shoot on a Red. That means your editing options are more limited, which makes it more expensive, piling more onto the cost of production.

It's a great camera, I'd love to shoot on one. I'd also love to shoot on film (above all else, I hope I get to someday), neither is probably realistic for most of us at this point. I am in the upper stratosphere among people who post on this board in that I spent 7K on a 35 minute short and 5K on a 25 minute short, and my minimum budget for my planned feature is 30K to 40K, and the expense of shooting on a Red is way out of my league. The only people in our budget range who shoot Red are film students who have free access to the camera, and a cheap editor at school.

You are speaking for a lot of people when you say "all of us here" I suspect many here have the budget and interest to rent a RED at half price. You have to consider that those who do may not be advertising it broadly for obvious reasons. Even for an amateur, I think a 1 day red reel showing cinematography techniques could be a very valuable addition to an up and coming portfolio. I would take this deal if someone offered it to me.

Anyway, I'm just making a business proposition to the community here, there are plenty of threads about camera discussion, and Id be glad to head over to one of them and discuss super-sampling with you.

I'm considering the purchase of a RED camera this week. As part of my plan to be able to make the loan payments, I'm planning to rent it out, at half standard pricing.

So $250/day 750/week, with kit.

I'd like to know how many of you out there see yourselves renting it from me for at least a day this year. That will help me decide whether I can afford this 35 thousand dollar purchase.

That's 1500 for a 2 week shoot at release movie quality.

I was looking at renting out a RED, going to need it in about 2-3 months...

Your price is awesome, but is there any way we could negotiate a longer rental? I think I'll need about two or three weeks with the camera rig itself. Depending on how the first shoot goes, I may need it for a couple days to a week sometime after as well.
I'm going to be doing a significant amount of compositing, and I need something that will capture above 1080P so I can use supersampled source material as my matte.

-- Stan Varos

multi week rentals

It kind of depends on how long and when. We are going to be using it a lot for our own shooting so rental availability will sort of revolve around that. We would definitely consider multi-week rentals as long as your in a country with an extradition treaty.

Back