• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Legalities of Muic in Industrials?

Hello, all.

I'm doing an industrial / promo video for a small business and they want to add intro / outro music. Does anyone know the legalities around using music for such a purpose?

Thanks!

Welcome to indietalk.

You must have permission for all copyrighted material you
use. Including music. You can buy royalty free music from
a variety of sources with is what most makers of industrial
and promo videos do.

Thanks for the welcome, and for the answer.

I thought that was the case, but I'd hoped I was mistaken. So many corporate videos I've seen have such awful music, and now I'm getting clearer as to why.

Thanks again!

There's also software solutions, such as SmartSound, that can generate music to your specific length in a wide varirty of styles.

You've probably heard it, if you've ever watched cheap cheesey local commercials on cable.

I considered poking around Myspace for artists who controlled their own rights for a possible "use for publicity" agreement. But I'm not loving the idea of explaining to an accounting firm that their promo video needs a shout-out to a musical act...

So guess I will poke around the royalty free spots--any faves?

There is some really good music available. The awful stuff is used
because some people are cheap and lazy.

What he said!

There are many quite excellent royalty free libraries out there. And yes, there are lots of up-and coming composers who have personal libraries that could be used for the same purpose. The problem is the same one most indie filmmakers have; they forget to budget properly for post. The crappy royalty free music is under $50 a CD, the good stuff can be that much for a single track. What often happens - having experienced this myself - is the penny pinchers in accounting add up five individual royalty free tracks at $49.99 each, they log on to the website to order, see "Whole Library" for $49.99 and buy that instead.

Back