Old 03-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #2236
rayw
Basic Member

The Uninvited (1944) - 3/10
Didn't do anything for me.
Slow and plodding.
Looks gorgeous.

You're Next - 5/10
It's a nice essentially one and a half location film.
Cliché motivation.
Absolutely retarded execution of family murder plan.
Paid "professionals" using crossbows and sledge-axes? For really?
And a mystery badass GF! Who knew?!
It's like... John McClain! IN YOUR HOUSE! AT A DINNER PARTY!

Whatever.
rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 03-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #2237
MiniJamesW
Basic Member

Le retour a la raison directed by Man Ray - 9/10
Yes! More great experimental film! This film does what Luis Buñuel was doing with Un Chien Andalou several years before, only it's more Dadaist than surrealistic. I love how this film shows Man Ray's vision for cinema, his vision was to make something more akin to moving paintings. I really like the way he juxtaposes images and cuts them so rapidly. The music on the version I saw made the experience even better. The only reason I don't give this film a 10 is because I've seen other experimental films that I like more, and I'm sure Man Ray came up with something even greater than this film.

Visite a Oscar Dominguez directed by Alain Resnais - 6/10
One of Resnais' really early works, nothing special here. Just a film capturing the artistic process of Oscar Dominguez. The film feels almost structureless and doesn't give any real insight into the artist, so it's nothing special. I would've rated it lower if it weren't for my interest in art and in watching silent films that lack a soundtrack.
MiniJamesW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #2238
MiniJamesW
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayw View Post
The Uninvited (1944) - 3/10

You're Next - 5/10
It's a nice essentially one and a half location film.
LOL man you must be the hardest film lover to please that I've ever seen! I don't think I've seen you rate a film over 6/10
Old 03-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #2239
rayw
Basic Member

I'll concede I'm pretty narrow in my own interests, but I do consider beyond that and a film's own context.

I like my films like donuts and/or Hondas: just pure entertainment and/or well designed.

A film should be entertaining.
A film should be well designed.

Dysfunction as entertainment ('Place Beyond the Pines') irritates me to no living end.
Ugly sh!t just to be ugly ('Prisoners') doesn't entertain me.
And some films are just plain missable; see 'em, don't see 'em, your life will not be any better or worse whether you do or don't see it.
If I'd be embarrassed having recommended it it probably wasn't a good film.
If the first half-hour is just setting up the story I'm already bored to death.

In the last six months I scored the following above 6:
'Austenland' 8.5
'Battle Royale' 8 as history, 7 as entertainment.
'Desolation of Smaug' 8.5
'The World's End' 7
'The Seven Samurai' 7
'Parkland' 9/10 if you liked 'Zero Dark Thirty', 6/10 if you don't really care for historical faux-documentaries
'Man of Steel' 8
'Pacific Rim' 7
'The Heat' 9.5
'This Is The End' 9
'Warm Bodies' 8.5
'The Hidden Fortress' 6.5
'War Games' 10
'Evil Dead' (2013) General audience: 7/10, Horror audience 8/10
'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' 7

I don't think I'd be embarrassed recommending any of those to appropriate audiences.

Can't say a "must see" recommendation of 'The Purge' + 'You're Next' twofer is going to garner any street cred from anyone not regularly wearing a dark hoodie.

How about yourself?
You're a pretty accomplished film watcher.
By what metrics do you judge a film's merit and in what context?
Old 03-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #2240
MiniJamesW
Basic Member

Quote:
I'll concede I'm pretty narrow in my own interests, but I do consider beyond that and a film's own context.

I like my films like donuts and/or Hondas: just pure entertainment and/or well designed.

A film should be entertaining.
A film should be well designed.

Dysfunction as entertainment ('Place Beyond the Pines') irritates me to no living end.
Ugly sh!t just to be ugly ('Prisoners') doesn't entertain me.
And some films are just plain missable; see 'em, don't see 'em, your life will not be any better or worse whether you do or don't see it.
If I'd be embarrassed having recommended it it probably wasn't a good film.
If the first half-hour is just setting up the story I'm already bored to death.

In the last six months I scored the following above 6:
'Austenland' 8.5
'Battle Royale' 8 as history, 7 as entertainment.
'Desolation of Smaug' 8.5
'The World's End' 7
'The Seven Samurai' 7
'Parkland' 9/10 if you liked 'Zero Dark Thirty', 6/10 if you don't really care for historical faux-documentaries
'Man of Steel' 8
'Pacific Rim' 7
'The Heat' 9.5
'This Is The End' 9
'Warm Bodies' 8.5
'The Hidden Fortress' 6.5
'War Games' 10
'Evil Dead' (2013) General audience: 7/10, Horror audience 8/10
'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' 7

I don't think I'd be embarrassed recommending any of those to appropriate audiences.

Can't say a "must see" recommendation of 'The Purge' + 'You're Next' twofer is going to garner any street cred from anyone not regularly wearing a dark hoodie.

How about yourself?
You're a pretty accomplished film watcher.
By what metrics do you judge a film's merit and in what context?
Haha, that's a pretty complex method of rating films lol. I've got to say I'm impressed!

Well, I judge films very subjectively according to what I know about film and my personal connection to a film. For example, I gave Requiem For A Dream a lower score because I found it to be too derivative of an older film (I also didn't care too much for the characters). Also, the Man Ray film I just reviewed got a lower score because of my experience in watching other experimental films, and because I just feel like Man Ray has a career that suggests that he made better films. I think I did the same with Woody Allen, I wouldn't give Take The Money And Run a 9/10 knowing that this is the same man who made Annie Hall, Manhattan, and other classics.

I think I have a very wide-range of tastes in cinema. I love genre films, I love European art films, I love a good Hollywood film (unfortunately I feel there haven't been too many since the 80's), I love Asian films, I love experimental cinema, I love documentaries, and I'm willing to explore African cinema and just any type of cinema. The only thing holding me back is the amount of time I have and what films are available to me!

I place a lot of emphasis on technique though, because technique enhances my appreciation. I think this is why I love directors like Yasujiro Ozu or Wong Kar-Wai, they have a very specific cinematic language that they express over and over again. I rarely like films that don't have good technique, I find those to be boring filmed plays. I always say I hate 'plot' but I love 'story.' I think that's not an 100% accurate statement for me, but it does a decent job at summing up my beliefs about cinema. Most people care what the film is about, and it's message, I don't, I care about how the story was told. Also, most people like a story to go from A to B, and then C, the end. Most of the time that bores me, especially in newer films when I know there are guys out there pushing boundaries in narrative cinema. And I'm not just talking about nonlinear structures, I just prefer my stories to linger, instead of providing me a roller coaster experience that has been done a million times.

I think that you can call me a very patient viewer. I really like slow films, I think that they do a much better job at showing me real characters and a real world rather than just take me through a roller coaster ride. I generally don't like a roller coaster ride in real life, and it's the same with movies. If the movie is just taking me through a plot, I feel like it'd be nearly impossible for me to give it more than an 8/10. It has to do something to stand out.

I don't think much about recommending films to others around me, since I feel most of them don't appreciate cinema. As great as The Maltese Falcon is, I know I'd have to tie some of my friends and family members down just to for them to watch that film just because it's in black & white.

I'm one of the raters that gives the highest scores I've ever known. I think in October and November I gave more 10's than any other rating lol. I think it's just, I'm extremely selective when choosing what I want to watch usually because I have so many movies available to me, I rarely want to make time for films I think will be junk. I also like films from both perspectives, as art and as entertainment. However, I wouldn't say that a film that I feel is both is automatically better, films just have different goals and different audiences to appeal. The only difference is that I happen to be an audience member that finds a ton of cinema appealing.

I guess I somewhat think of context when I rate. For example, I wouldn't judge a Jackie Chan film the same way I'd judge an Ingmar Bergman film. They're doing two completely different things, and I love them both. But if I want Bergman to do what Jackie does, well then Bergman fails, and viceversa. But beyond that I think I don't try to rate FOR an audience. I do believe that a film reviewer should review with the target audience's context in mind, but me personally, on Indietalk I review just personally, and I want to be a director/critic so I don't have to write in this style. I may mention that the film would appeal to others, but this wouldn't reflect in the final rating.

I sometimes am unsure about a rating. The discussion I had about Requiem For A Dream was one of those times when I was really unsure. But sometimes I realize I rated something a little too highly or a little to low, so I change my rating on websites without really discussing it. I think film has to resonate in the long-term to truly be great so I never know how I truly feel about a film until later. I almost never give bad ratings though lol, I know there are horrible films out there but I don't usually choose to watch them. I'll say one thing though, I would much rather watch a film like Santa Claus Conquers The Martians than have to sit through one of those mediocre dramas that have nothing new to say or no unique artistic quality; that film is just a billion times more entertaining lol.

Last edited by MiniJamesW; 03-07-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #2241
MiniJamesW
Basic Member

Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey directed by Constance Marks - 8/10
A very nice documentary with an inspiring story! I loved this film a lot, it had great emotion in it but it lacked in creativity and it could have gone deeper. There were some darker sides to the story that the film just glossed through, that I wish would've been addressed more. Still, this is a very nice light short watch. Anyone who needs a smile on their face should watch this film!

Last edited by MiniJamesW; 03-07-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #2242
ChimpPhobiaFilms
Account Disabled

I judge a film's merit based upon if I'm satisfied after the credits role. I can't think of ONE film that I've watched where I haven't been entertained or intrigued, but still spoke about it favorable.
ChimpPhobiaFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #2243
MiniJamesW
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimpPhobiaFilms View Post
I judge a film's merit based upon if I'm satisfied after the credits role. I can't think of ONE film that I've watched where I haven't been entertained or intrigued, but still spoke about it favorable.
Haha that's a short way of putting it! Although, I think I said some nice things about the 1903 version of Alice In Wonderland. That film just bored me to death, I think what I actually appreciated about the film was the scratches on the print, they looked pretty cool lol. But I think the only film that I absolutely hated besides that one was Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny, my gosh was that a waste of time! There was a few funny moments, but I had already seen them on reviews online. That movie was not so bad it's good to me, it's so bad that it's even worse than bad, it's a waste of time. I think Christmas would've been much better if I had only seen Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (a real bad film that actually entertains), yet I'm still proud I sat through the Ice Cream Bunny one, if only to say that I'd sat through one of the worst pieces of cinema of all-time. I'm not much of a bad movie watcher, I prefer seeing the Nostalgia Critic or other online reviewers tear them apart lol.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #2244
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Tokyo Story 1/5
Holy crap this was one of the most boring films I've ever seen. It literally put me to sleep. I had to pause it, took a nap, came back to finish it. Almost put me to sleep a second time as well.

Ending and no power whatsoever to me, there was nothing redeeming about the end. As opposed to something like On the Waterfront, which was so amazing in the second half that I was able to forgive the boring first part. This movie sucked!! Can't believe people think it's so great.
sfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #2245
MiniJamesW
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
Tokyo Story 1/5
Holy crap this was one of the most boring films I've ever seen. It literally put me to sleep. I had to pause it, took a nap, came back to finish it. Almost put me to sleep a second time as well.

Ending and no power whatsoever to me, there was nothing redeeming about the end. As opposed to something like On the Waterfront, which was so amazing in the second half that I was able to forgive the boring first part. This movie sucked!! Can't believe people think it's so great.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:23 AM   #2246
MiniJamesW
Basic Member

Rear Window directed by Alfred Hitchcock - 10/10
Finally I saw this film, I don't know why I waited so long but it was certainly worth it. I love how this film works on an intellectual level and on the level of entertainment. I felt like this film was a metaphor for watching movies, and how we can become so involved with what's on screen. I love the relationship between Jeffries and Lisa, I just see so much truth in it. The performances are great, the creativity that went into the film's style is great, the story is great, and I just love how this film gives me a sense of discovery like Blow-Up did (a film that I think was influenced a lot by Rear Window). I look forward to watching more Hitchcock films!
Old 03-08-2014, 11:05 AM   #2247
rayw
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniJamesW View Post
I would much rather watch a film like Santa Claus Conquers The Martians than have to sit through one of those mediocre dramas that have nothing new to say or no unique artistic quality; that film is just a billion times more entertaining lol.
Aw, man! So... you're recommending family and friends should watch 'Santa Claus Conquers The Martians'?!

OKAY!

You should watch more genuinely popular but bad films.
Machette
Machette Kills
The Human Centipede
The Devil Inside
Apollo 18
After Earth
Battlefield Earth
The Wicker Man (2006)
Cowboys & Aliens
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Burt Wonderstone
The Apparition
House at the End of the Street
The Watch

Surely some of these will warrant a valid "Don't waste your time watching this. Surely you have something better to do with an hour and a half of your life."

Old 03-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #2248
ChimpPhobiaFilms
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoster View Post
Tokyo Story 1/5

YYYEEESSSSSS!!!! I love the film, but I can't stand it when people say they love a film because that film is critically acclaimed or beloved. I really appreciate the honesty.
ChimpPhobiaFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #2249
MiniJamesW
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimpPhobiaFilms View Post
YYYEEESSSSSS!!!! I love the film, but I can't stand it when people say they love a film because that film is critically acclaimed or beloved. I really appreciate the honesty.
Ah well that's true, but I have a genuine love for Ozu's films. I just don't like when people say "I can't believe someone could actually like this film" because it implies that everyone who likes the film is somehow faking it lol. But I'm sure that's not what sfoster meant, people just have different tastes and that's okay
Old 03-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #2250
MiniJamesW
Basic Member

Quote:
Aw, man! So... you're recommending family and friends should watch 'Santa Claus Conquers The Martians'?!

OKAY!

You should watch more genuinely popular but bad films.
Machette
Machette Kills
The Human Centipede
The Devil Inside
Apollo 18
After Earth
Battlefield Earth
The Wicker Man (2006)
Cowboys & Aliens
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Burt Wonderstone
The Apparition
House at the End of the Street
The Watch

Surely some of these will warrant a valid "Don't waste your time watching this. Surely you have something better to do with an hour and a half of your life."

Haha I freaking loved Santa Claus Conquers The Martians much better than that Ice Cream Bunny garbage (only watch that one if you're on drugs). I really think that film is a masterpiece of bad cinema, even though some parts of it didn't catch my attention.

Thanks for the recommendation of bad films lol, I wonder if these are funner to watch then true garbage like The Room or Manos: The Hands Of Fate, I haven't seen those films but I've seen reviews of them and they were hilariously bad.