Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Hollywood

Old Today, 03:14 PM   #1
pedramyz
Basic Member

I have found a producer. Help!

Recently a producer in america ( who is a friend of a friend ) has emerged and has agreed to read my script. I told him the logline and he liked it. But I have no idea how this "pitching" process works. I'm currently working on the 6th draft of it, and I'll give it to him when it's ready and not before. Since my goal is to break into Hollywood as a filmmaker, I have no idea how to take advantage of this situation. If by some miracle this guy likes my script , Below are a list of questions I really need some advice with:

1. When is the time to talk terms? I say my terms before giving the script to him or I let him read the script first then talk terms?

2. Do I even have the right to put terms on my script or not? Should I let him decide what he wants to do or is there any room for negotiation?

3. Since my goal is to begin working as a filmmaker in U.S, what sort of deals I should be looking for? What sort of deals allow me to get a working visa in U.S with this script? ( cause for instance if the guy wants to buy or option the script, that doesn't provide me with any working opportunities in U.S to be able to get a visa off of that, right?)

4. This script is not low-budget. It's medium budget. Can I ask for final cut or directing it myself at all? ( I think it's really unlikely cause I don't have any directing track record). The only reason I'm asking this unreasonable question is that I'm not really familiar with the production process. and I've heard that the producers start pitching your script to actors and talents out there, and if you can attract good talent to your script, there are institutions which provide you with intense directing courses for 3 weeks or so. Like sundance or AFI. and then you can go direct your own script.

5. and at last should I even bother showing my script to this guy? Cause I've heard once your script gets out, it's out. and if it's bad, your name is ruined and it gets really really tough to get back from that. Since I don't have that much professional notes on this script, I don't know where it stands right now.

Last edited by pedramyz; Today at 03:45 PM. Reason: Bad title
pedramyz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old Today, 03:59 PM   #2
Sweetie
Basic Member

Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

Quote:
if it's bad
Is it bad? If so, all your questions are moot.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:11 PM   #3
pedramyz
Basic Member

Quote:
Talk about putting the cart before the horse.
You mean I'm going with it the wrong way, or are you suggesting that I do it? I didn't get what you mean by this.

Quote:
Is it bad? If so, all your questions are moot.
Well as I said I haven't been able to gather that much professional notes to decide that, But I've submitted an earlier draft of this script to nicholl contest, and I have posted the reader's comment in this forum you can look it up and see if it's a positive review or a negative one. But currently I'm working on the 6th draft, changing some of the issues they pointed out.
Old Today, 05:18 PM   #4
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
I didn't get what you mean by this.
Bluntly said, you're all excited scheming on how to extract maximum value like you've made the oil find of the century. This is exactly the reason people go through agents and sales agents. They understand the art of dealmaking. Rookies often kill deals with unrealistic stipulations, putting both themselves into the too hard basket and reducing the attractiveness of a deal to investors.

The number of scripts that command what you're hoping for is akin to finding a unicorn... It's very rare.

PS: Rhino's are Unicorns that have let themselves go.

Quote:
I have posted the reader's comment in this forum you can look it up and see if it's a positive review or a negative one.
You need to rethink your reality. Like that's going to happen. Make me work hard to help you. Right on buddy.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:38 PM   #5
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
Make me work hard to help you. Right on buddy.
lolz... "Do you have your resume with you?" "It's on my Instagram" Millennials brah...
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:04 PM   #6
pedramyz
Basic Member

Quote:
Bluntly said, you're all excited scheming on how to extract maximum value like you've made the oil find of the century. This is exactly the reason people go through agents and sales agents. They understand the art of dealmaking. Rookies often kill deals with unrealistic stipulations, putting both themselves into the too hard basket and reducing the attractiveness of a deal to investors.
Ok, so your advice is to go through an agent if I could find one instead of directly giving my script to a producer.

Quote:
The number of scripts that command what you're hoping for is akin to finding a unicorn... It's very rare.
I know ! I'm hoping for the best, everybody does that, aren't you?! As I said I am not familiar with the industry that much, there is a start to everything. what do u want me to say? I'll keep editing my script for the 1000th draft and promise not to show it to anyone for the rest of my life?!

Quote:
You need to rethink your reality. Like that's going to happen. Make me work hard to help you. Right on buddy.
man people really like to get confrontational in this forum

I wasn't the one who brought this up. YOU asked this strange question " is it bad?" what writer thinks his/her work is not good? I can't be the judge of my own work. That's why I answered your question by referring you to the 2 paragraph reader's comment on my script ("work hard"?!) .and I didn't ask you to read it, I said you "can" read it if you want to. Obviously you don't want to. That's fine, but you don't need to be vindictive about it. Does stomping on rookies turn you on? Does it fuel your ego or does it help with the insecurity issues?

Last edited by pedramyz; Today at 07:17 PM.