Thoughts on This Essay and it's structure

Strange thing to put here maybe, if it's in the wrong place, please move it.
It's an essay I'm writing for school and the question is 'How has Alfred Hitchcock influenced cinema and filmmaking?'
I'm thinking of structuring it with
-introduction
-Hitchcock's influences (German Expressionism, French New Wave, Auteur Theory)
-Common elements and themes in Hitchcock films and examples from his work
-Auteur directors influenced by Hitchcock and elements from Hitchcock films in their work
-Psycho's influence on slashers
-Hitchcock's influence on various other films like 'Mulholland Drive' and 'Se7en'

Thoughts?

Sounds like it could be really neat.

Anytime somebody asks for opinions on a screenplay they're working on, we always ask for the logline.

In this case -- what's your thesis statement?

That's a lot of info for one essay, what's your word limit?

If you need help give me a holla, I own essay writing. (Part of my tafe course is academic writing).

Don't forget a conclusion :)

Sounds like it could be really neat.

Anytime somebody asks for opinions on a screenplay they're working on, we always ask for the logline.

In this case -- what's your thesis statement?

These questions are gonna make me sound stupid but what do you mean by
Logline
Thesis Statement

That's a lot of info for one essay, what's your word limit?

If you need help give me a holla, I own essay writing. (Part of my tafe course is academic writing).

Don't forget a conclusion :)

The word limit is a minimum of 5000

What subject are you doing this for? Or are you doing it as an extended project?

It's for an extended project :)

Oops. Duplicate post. We don't have A-levels in America, so I don't know what that is. How old are you?

Last edited:
Okay, so I guess "A-levels" would correspond to what we call "high school".

Over here, not all high-schools teach essay-writing, with thesis statements. Often times, it's not learned until you go to college (what you call "uni"), when you take English 101: Composition.

Anyway, a thesis statement should sum up what the entire essay is about, in one sentence. Everything in the essay should serve to reinforce and provide detail to what is being said in this thesis statement.

A common essay structure to start working on this type of stuff is a 5 paragraph essay. When I first learned about this, the idea of it really turned me off, because it is very restrictive, and doesn't leave much room for creativity. After begrudgingly working with this model, though, after time I came to understand the importance of learning and practicing structure, so that when my writing became more advanced (and longer), I could feel free to break the rules, and write however I please, but I did so with a solid back-bone of understanding structure.

The following link is the first thing I found, when I googled "5-paragraph essay". I looked it over, and I think this is a pretty solid introduction to how this structure works:

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/five_par.htm

When putting together your outline, you should first decide on your thesis statement, and then decide on three supporting statements. Each of these three supporting statements should sort of prove or validate what you are saying in your thesis.

Each of those three supporting statements then function as a mini-thesis, for each of the three body paragraphs. And then, each body paragraph should have 3 or 4 statements that support that supporting statement. Sorry if I've worded this confusingly -- perhaps it'd be better to show an example of an outline:

Title: That'll do, pig.

Thesis: Pork is the most delicious meat, ever.

Body Paragraph 1: Bacon is heavenly.
-- It makes everything better -- salads, burgers, eggs, chocolate, you-name-it
-- On it's own, it is impossible to resist, especially when it's fresh off the stove.
-- Cooking it adds an aroma to a house that livens everybody's senses

Body Paragraph 2: Pork is most versatile, suitable for any everyday meal
-- Bacon, sausage, and/or canadian bacon will lively up any breakfast
-- Sliced pork loin, ham, and a number of cured pork products make up the most exquisite
deli-meats for a lunchtime sandwich.
-- Any cut of pork (loin, chop, etc) will work as a main course, and can be prepared a million
ways (roasted, grilled, fried, breaded-and-deep-fried)

Body paragraph 3: Nothing tops pork for festive occasions
-- Any wintertime holiday feast is lacking without a freshly roasted ham
-- Outside of Texas, pork is the deserving meat of choice for all BBQ's
-- In all of Oceania, the most festive occasions are celebrated by roasting a whole pig
over a spit fire

With this outline in hands, the paper is practically written. The outline is perhaps the most important step in writing the essay, and the actually writing part is a breeze, if you do this first step well.

You see how the entire paper is to prove/reinforce what is being said in the thesis?

Pork is the most delicious meat, ever.
-- Bacon is heavenly.
-- Pork is most versatile, suitable for any everyday meal
-- Nothing tops pork for festive occasions

We've got our main point (thesis), with three supporting statements. And then, each supporting statement has three supporting-supporting statements, if you will. From here, we just need to come up with suitable intro and conclusion paragraphs, and we've got a gauranteed "A" in our hands.

So, what do you want to say about Hitchcock? If the reader is to remember only one thing, or just take one thing from your essay, what do you want it to be? Answer those questions, and you've got your thesis. Good luck!

(To answer your other question, a logline is like a thesis for a screenplay).

Oooh, 5000, well I take back what I said about it being a lot of info for one essay lol.

Cf's outline there is pretty much exactly what to do. Don't forget though, within every paragraph there are certain elements you need to make sure you have, like a topic sentence, linking words and a clincher.

A topic sentence is the first sentence in the paragraph which tells the reader what this particular paragraph is going to be about. The clincher is the last sentence that sums it all up again. Linking words are things like 'therefore' 'but' 'as a result' 'on the other hand' 'conversely' and so on.

I suppose you asked for help with the structure, not the writing, so I probably didn't need to type that. Oh well, may as well post it :)

p.s. JOSEPH! I do NOT appreciate your choose of topic for your example! >:(

:P lol

Whilst I appreciate that the Americans and Aussies on the board write a lot of essays, I think that you should make sure you follow the criteria of the examining board in writing this essay.

Things are bound to change from country to country and this is the equivalent of an AS so I'd take it seriously. I did mine on 'Religion and Evelyn Waugh' and it was really boring, but I made sure that I knew exactly what they wanted.

This is probably one of those (rare) occasions when you're better off asking your teacher than people on Indietalk! :P

Whilst I appreciate that the Americans and Aussies on the board write a lot of essays, I think that you should make sure you follow the criteria of the examining board in writing this essay.

Things are bound to change from country to country and this is the equivalent of an AS so I'd take it seriously. I did mine on 'Religion and Evelyn Waugh' and it was really boring, but I made sure that I knew exactly what they wanted.

This is probably one of those (rare) occasions when you're better off asking your teacher than people on Indietalk! :P

Good point. Many classes want something very specific, so while the example I've shown is pretty standard over here, it may not be what your teacher is looking for. So, as Nick recommends, talk to your teacher.

Reading this I am SO glad I dropped out of high school.

Ah, well, we all have different experiences. Your path worked out well for you, but I had an absolute blast in high school, and wouldn't trade my time there for the world.

And yeah, I see how this rigid structure is very off-putting (I initially hated it), but in time I was converted, and I think I'm a better writer for it. In college, I never got anything less than an "A" on an essay, and whenever our essays were exchanged and read by classmates, my peers were always floored by the quality of mine. Sorry, I'm not trying to brag -- I'm only trying to use my experiences to explain why I do believe in this type of structure. And as your writing skills progress, you can go away from the rigid structure, but it's a good place to start.

In England, our essays have to include quite a lot of quotations and references from several sources too. Not sure if that applies in essay writing in the US.

In England, our essays have to include quite a lot of quotations and references from several sources too. Not sure if that applies in essay writing in the US.

Definitely. Though there are differences, I suspect that our education system probably has it's roots in yours, just as all of our sports (except for basketball) originally came from yours, and a great deal of our entire culture.

Back