Cameras used in sports games

I'm wondering what kind of cameras and focus systems are used for sports broadcasts. I noticed in a soccer game that the camera was gigantic. I'm also wondering how they have such shallow DOF yet the player is always in focus, I've never seen a breathing focus either so I'm guessing it's something automatic?

Sports generally use the best of the best and latest gear. It depends on what the network requires, but they're generally top of the line Broadcast Sony or Ikegami cameras. The lenses usually start around $35k.

It's manual focus too, they're just pro's. They grab their focus fast and keep it throughout the shot, and the directors are good enough to not stick an out-of-focus shot in the air. They get paid pretty well.

He's got a 9.5-700mm f/1.7… jesus.

24d2921.jpg

I'm wondering what kind of cameras and focus systems are used for sports broadcasts. I noticed in a soccer game that the camera was gigantic. I'm also wondering how they have such shallow DOF yet the player is always in focus, I've never seen a breathing focus either so I'm guessing it's something automatic?
Cameras like the Sony Digi Super 86
sony_frozentundra.jpg

do not have shallow depth of field. The DOF is usually 10ft to
100 yards. The reason you never see the focus "breathing" is
because the focus on those cameras in not automatic. The operator
must adjust the focus.

Holy christ, that lens is un-freaking-believable.
And now that you mention it, golf seems ridiculous. How do they find/keep that tiny ball in frame? This stuff always amazes me.

Holy christ, that lens is un-freaking-believable.
And now that you mention it, golf seems ridiculous. How do they find/keep that tiny ball in frame? This stuff always amazes me.

Practice and Experience.

There are a lot of specialty operators out there. I imagine those golf shooters probably specialize in it as well. There's a guy up here with a 40 or 45' arm and the bulk of his business is operating/renting it out, mostly for sports. Folks who are good at automotive cinematography tend to get lots of work doing that. Lighting cars has some special nuances to it I guess, still trying to wrap my brain around that. Watching lots of Top Gear, amazing what they can do with highlight and reflection on a nice curvy car.

I was watching the winter olympics last year and some of the cable camera rigs were amazing. Can't remember the name of the event, but it looks like a BMX race on snowboards or skis. Great stuff. You could hear them whipping down the cables at high speed.

x2 on the Focus thing. Not really much auto focus in the pro world. I got to operate a Varicam for a day not long ago. I need more practice focusing a lens like that, especially with the extender running. Yikes! Lots of very wide fields in sports shooting, but also some shallower stuff mixed it. Auto racing is a pretty good example, classic shots of cars coming towards a long lens. Stuff like that. Those cats can focus!

Last edited:
Back