monitor calibration

Its gamma thats killing me I think..

It seems I can go dark.. darker.. and before it should.. BLACK, everything gets crushed and looks noisy. Its like I have an 8 bit gray scale, but just down in the dark's.. its bugging the heck out of me. I figure if I can calibrate my monitor\videocard etc. that I could at least KNOW if it was the monitor.. its a brand new dell, but what do I know..

They have websites where you do tests. they ask you to correct ur settings according to what you see. check those out.

windows also has it built in and guides u thru it.

but for about 200 dollars you can buy devices that will do it for u.

the main issue is the gamma level between computer screens and tv's.

or attach a properly calibrated tv.

and remember, u may have the colors just the way u want them in the end but ur audiences tvs and monitors vary in their calibration, so they may not be seeing wat u intended.

OK, I think I got this working.. there is a strange interaction in the nvidia control panel that if I even touch any slider, I have to re adjust all the other sliders, but once I got that figured out I was able to get something that feels and looks much better... the black clipping seems to be mostly resolved.. I still have some banding, but at least I have some range..

though, Im still not able to get to a gamma of 2.2 (based on this chart.. http://www.pikespeakphoto.com/images/stereoviews/gamma-chart-vert.png) without everything going too dark... I think a device is the next step.. Ill watch CL and ebay...

What brand monitor? It could be the monitor.

TN panel technology versus IPS could induce these kinds of artifacts. So can compression. I have three monitors side by side, two are TN and the center is IPS. The TN panels do this exact thing with the black levels, but the IPS panel does not.

This is an older article and IPS panels are more plethoric these days as are LED. But it's a decent overview of what to look for when buying a panel:

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

If you really need more color accuracy, you need one of these along with a Quadro or FirePro graphics card to drive it in 10bpcc (bits per color component):

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884471-3648397.html

Last edited:
Good stuff here. In addition to a high-quality monitor I also recommend a calibration device like the Spyder Pro series. I thought I was pretty good at calibrating my monitor by hand until I got one of these. Night-and-day difference between my setup and the accurate hardware calibration.

Also keep in mind that there aren't any flat panels out there (that I know of) that can do true "black". The darkest you can get is a very dark grey. As a digital photographer, this drives me up the wall -- I actually rather miss my old CRT monitor because of this.

We won't have brightness/contrast-accurate monitors until the new OLED monitors get mass produced.

Also keep in mind that there aren't any flat panels out there (that I know of) that can do true "black". The darkest you can get is a very dark grey. As a digital photographer, this drives me up the wall -- I actually rather miss my old CRT monitor because of this.

We won't have brightness/contrast-accurate monitors until the new OLED monitors get mass produced.

8,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio for under $300. Not a professional display, but not bad for the price:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/...zhGv1ZyqJfW2LpbgGL7XGhQhB3H3hvhnHJF!973532596

Incidentally, that professional display I linked (HP Dreamcolor LP2480zx) also uses LED:

Breakthrough color control
• Achieve what you intended with unprecedented color fidelity through a tri-color LED backlight; work with deeper colors, CRT-class black, and programmable white all on a 24-inch diagonal wide-aspect screen.

Last edited:
• Achieve what you intended with unprecedented color fidelity through a tri-color LED backlight; work with deeper colors, CRT-class black, and programmable white all on a 24-inch diagonal wide-aspect screen.

Wow, I am behind the times! Heck, I should be able to run that off my Mac Pro as a second monitor!

Back