still have a canon hf200 that I cannot use....

I have this canon hf200 that is useless to me now. I record video, hook it up to the computor and nothing happens. Its as if it doesn't exist. I had to stop using it because it drove me crazy and thus have been using a cheaper camera that has NO issues at all - but is limited.

I have windows vista...and I have been reading reviews on this camera and someone stated that vista does not recognize the mts files so the reviewer bought a windows 7 and it works fine.

Could that be true?? Why wouldn't vista recognize the files???

Do others here have this camera...and what do you have? Windows 7???

ThANKS.

If it was a problem with the file type, it would still recognise the camera was connected, but you'd get an error when trying to copy or open the files.

This sounds like a driver problem. Make sure your motherboard drivers are all working properly. I've not used Vista, sorry, so I can't advise how to check drivers there. But on windows XP, you go into device manager and right click - properties on the hardware you're interested in. Maybe it's similar with Vista. Once you've done that, click check drivers. It should tell you if there's a driver problem.

So how would I do that?

Now meanwhile I downloaded something for free that said it can read these files...so I plug the camera in - and I can get the images and drag them to Sony. The only problem is, they don't save on the computor nor in Sony. I can play them back in Sony as long as I have the camera plugged in.

What a headache...and the camera is really nice. It has such nice images and is stable..I would much rather use this camera!

I have Windows Vista, edit in Vegas Pro 9, and have the HF200.

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm thinking this might be an end user problem. It sounds like you're not actually copying the files to the computer.

I seem to remember you posting about this problem a while ago, and IIRC, you got it working?

Can you post some screen grabs of each and every step you are taking to get the footage on your computer? We'll get this sorted out.

Dreadylocks you are correct. What I had done last time was DRAG the images to Sony and I thought that would work but it didn't.

Now, I have no clue but it seems to work and I have no idea why. I plugged in the camera like before and set the camera for Computor/printer. I opened up view then went to device explorer. Now before it had down that it had no device connected...I checked to ensure all cables were secure...they were but nothing.
So this last time today it had images come up on Sony that I was able to fool around with and make something with as a test. It seems to be fine...but I am not 100% because I don't know why it worked now - what did I do differently? Don't know.

Meanwhile the camera is really a nice one. What I like is that is very stable, not a whole lot of shakiness to it like the cheap ones. I really want to use this one rather than the cheap one where I cannot add lenses or filters.

So thats it...for now.

Thanks.

Oh and if you read my post and notice something missing that I should do when downloading images can you let me know?

Best regards.

do you have the software

I got my canon hf200 used, and they sent with 3 discs of canon software, which is what I uploaded the videos with. I COULD NOT upload it with anything else. Do you have those? I believe they are called ImageMixer or something of the like.
I'm using a mac now, and that uploads straight from the camera.

Yeah, I loaded the software that came with the camera.
As for the images, they are saved on the computor under documents. So in truth, I don't know what I did this time that I didn't do before.

Initially I did have the camera plugged in when the images were on the Sony vegas but as soon as I unplugged the camera the images went as well.
However this last time when I dragged the images from the box in Vegas to video line they saved...I don't have a clue...which is normal for me anyway but scarey because I don't know why they saved now and didn't before.

I am just afraid that I will take some great shots of something and wont be able to save them next time.

I don't know the camera or vista but I know computers and camera in general.

1. Is the camera's USB set-up for MSC(Mass Storage) or MTP/PTP? It should be set to mass storage.
2. It may be your computer, since you are in the US, go to best buy or another computer store and ask to see your video on the camera on a computer (say your looking for a new computer), the plug camera into the computer and see if that works (remember to bring the cable).
3. It may be that your storage device is corrupt.
4. Try it on a Mac, Macs are awesome (and also available at bestbuy)!

It's a long shot, but are you sure your USB connection (On your computer) isn’t a little flakey?

I have one that when I plug a flash drive or card reader or camera cable into, I have to get it just right, or it won’t read as anything being there.

It’s like it can’t be plugged in all the way, I have to back it out a little for some reason.
(And If I distrub it mid process I get an error.)

-Thanks-

Last edited:
The saved files in your documents. Are they .mts or .sfk?

When I go into Documents...then imported media...I have a list of mts and sfk...I cannot use anything with sfk but it is listed....

So it looks like this:
0001 mts 26500 kb
0001 sfk 14kb

Right now I am back at square one as I thought I would be and nothing is happening.

It's a long shot, but are you sure your USB connection (On your computer) isn’t a little flakey?

I have one that when I plug a flash drive or card reader or camera cable into, I have to get it just right, or it won’t read as anything being there.

It’s like it can’t be plugged in all the way, I have to back it out a little for some reason.
(And If I distrub it mid process I get an error.)

-Thanks-

I have gone back and pushed everything in to make sure. I get the AutoPlay icon that comes up.

This is going to drive me nuts. Nothing is working again so this camera is going to sit around and collect dust.

What are the steps for importing media on here? Last night it only took a few minuets...I plugged the camera in...
I highlighted the computor/printer and press set.
Images came up on Sony.oHowever now when I do it...I get a window that asks if I want to save the files to my pc (really I don't I just want to see them first). However I press save...then it asks if I want to import files or just read them. If I press import it will tell me there is nothing to import...so I press 'read'. I goes through this process to save which takes a few minuets then that same box comes up so I highlight import...and again it says nothing to import.

I didn't get any of that jazz last night.

Don't use Vegas to import. Let's keep the middle man out of this. I'll try and walk you through it, and hopefully we can find where the problem is.

Step one: Plug camera into computer via USB. Plug power adapter into camera, press computer/printer on camera menu.

Step two: When/if the autoplay box pops up, close it.

Step three: If ImageMixer 3 (transfer utility) doesn't automatically open, do that now.
Step3.jpg

Step four: Click 'Save Files to PC'
Step4.jpg

Step 5: Choose between importing only the videos that it hasn't already imported, or 'read all videos.' I'd probably go with read all videos for this time, since none of them have seemed to be saved before.
Step5.jpg

You will see this:
Step6.jpg

And when that's done you will see this:
Step7.jpg

Click Ok and close ImageMixer.

Step six: Open Sony Vegas. Create new project or whatever you'd like to do, and go to the 'explorer tab.' ImageMixer always saves the files to the same place. So, using the explorer tab in Vegas, go to
My Computer > Hard drive C: > Users > [whatever your windows name is] > Video > IMx3SEVer5 (might be slightly different if you have a newer version of the software)

Here's what you should see:
Step8.jpg

Each of those folders is a date that you took footage. Open one, then open the next folder. Your footage should be there and you can drag it into the timeline and it will import into vegas or you can drag it into the 'project media' tab if you want it to import, but not use that clip right away.

That's all there is to it. Is that how you were going about it? Are all of these steps working for you?

Let me know how it works out.

Thanks so much Dreadylocks! I did that, it was probably what I did the first time and forgot...my images come up under something else but they are there.
Now its just this computor is very slow...when I drag them to vegas there is a hold of a few seconds for each clip. I had an icon that came up and said 'system is slow' and something about checking it out and rebooting computor...it seems to be a bit faster but not fast enough. I think I might have too much crap on this computor and its slowing it down..I think.

Thanks again! You should have your own page here.

I am making something Halloween related for local tv here. I have these two styrofoam headstones in the yard with a plastic skull...a cape and a skeleton mask..and a shoval for grave digging.
Actually when I filmed part of this today, I wanted to film in a real graveyard but didn't think people would be too comfortable seeing a figure in a black robe and skeleton face with a latern walking around...kind of creepy...so I had to do it in the backyard with el cheapo tools...and in old style black and white coupled with creepy music it didn't come out too bad...I couldn't tell myself it wasn't a real graveyard.
So this is my next thing and I wanted to use this camera because it is WAY better than what I was using.

Anyway thanks Dreadylocks for helping.

Back