Canon HV40

Hey, i have a very low budget for buying a camcorder, and ive done some research and ive found this camcorder, and this is even streching my budget buying an extra £200, however i believe its worth it to put in a little extra for a better camcorder.

So basically, is this camcorder worth the money that it currently is? £750/$950.

This will be for short films that ill make and adding special effects on adobe after effects.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The HV40 is not a bad choice at all, and you would be very happy with that. (I own it, too. I like it a lot).

Interesting call on the Canon t2i, which is in a similar price bracket. The last film I worked on used DSLR's, and made me a complete believer overnight. Still, you'd have issues if you wanted to record something longer than a dozen minutes, such as a play or similar event.

You mentioned that you'd be stretching your budget by a few hundred, though, to get the cameras in this price range. Have you thought about other basic necessities, such as improvements to sound capture, or some basic lighting fixtures and tools? You can have the fanciest camera in the world, but the scenes will still come out lifeless if you don't take the time to prepare the details. It's hard to say, without knowing your budget, what you already have, and what you're hoping to create.

At any rate, some stuff to think about.

I have thought about the extra im going to need, however i thought id get the camera first, then save up and get the extras after, i know i wont be filming for a good 3 months because it will take me a while to get the money together. Im just going to have to be patient.

I guess in a way, im basically asking which is a decent camcorder that i can get if i want a good picture, within a reasonable budget as im a student and only work once a week.

I prepared to wait and get a better camcorder, then sort out getting lighting and a shotgun mic.

I have also looked at the Sony CX11E HD, Canon LEGRIA HF200 and Canon VIXIA HF M30 HD (this ones hard to find in the Uk)

If you could suggest any decent camcorders you think are good for a beginner that would be great.

Thanks for the response!

actually, i watched a video by filmriot on youtube and it showed three low budget cams and now i really want a HV-40, or the HF-M31, but it all depends on your needs and what you're shooting

Back