• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Two places how to word

In the script I'm writing I'm having a hard time deciding the right way to write this scene. In the scene there are some transitions with a low amount of dialogue between them. (They're talking on phones, one person is in a house, and the other is in a jungle.) I was wondering how I would write this. Nothing I come up with flows as well as I would expect a good script to.

Thanks,
RR

I have seen it done a few ways:

1. INT. HOUSE - DAY INNERCUT W/ EXT. JUNGLE- NIGHT

2. INT. HOUSE ā€“ DAY

Dude is on the phone

DUDE
Iā€™m the dude on the phone.

INTERCUT WITH: (OR BETWEEN)

EXT. JUNGLE ā€“ DAY

Other dude is on the phone.

OTHER DUDE
I am the other dude on the phone.

DUDE
Hey dipshit, good to hear from you!

OTHER DUDE
Same to you!

--I usually use the 1st method, but the 2nd method allows for better visual description of for example the jungle surroundings--

-Thanks-

Last edited:
Thanks that helped a lot :)..

I have one other question.

If I want for their to be character dialogue through the phone. As if the phone was on speaker mode. Would it be correct to put V.O. or would this not be considered a voice over?

For the Intercut- there will be more ways, those are just two that come to mind, I have seen others but I don't rememebr exactaly how they were done (so see how the thread goes.)

For the other question:

It could also be a few ways, (OS) or (OC), I would use OS.

EDIT- I have since seen it as V.O. too.

V.O. - Voice over. An off-camera voice coming either from an actor not in the frame, or from a secondary source such as a speakerphone or answering machine.

Milage may vary, but OS works for me.

-Thanks-

Last edited:
Yes, I wouldnt use V.O. since.. well its not a V.O. It is an action taking place in the scene. Like Buddy said O.S. is a good option.

Or you can just declare the phone in the action and use it as a character, i think.

This drove me nuts on my first screenplay, too. It was one of those solutions that made perfect sense to me when I first heard it (which then made me wonder why I failed to figure it out on my own).

I used method two from Buddy's example. Except I established both locations and both characters first, and then just used:

INTERCUT THE PHONE CALL

That's how I saw it done in scripts. Seems to be viable still.

Back