• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

need urgent editing tips/advice

so i have my short edited, originally the musician was going to score it but he was too busy so now i have 2 long clips of music that i have to cut and edit into the picture. its a few different tunes he made to the edit i gave him.

this isnt something i've done before, i'm pretty lost and need tips/advice, how to jump from one scene to another with different pieces of music etc.

please help!

I'm having a similar problem with a short I'm editing. All is done but the music :(

So +1 on wanting some tips here. For now I'll be messing with it and waiting for the custom composition...

I could possibly help

Are you both looking for scores to be composed, or simply someone to edit an existing score to match a peice of film thats already been cut?

Forgive my lack of correct terminology. I'd be happy to help out either (or both) of you, sadly I do not yet have much of a portfolio for sound-to-video work.

I am however a dedicated and serious musician and Audio Engineer. Currently I'm in the process of setting up a small collective of like-minded people who are looking to find any kind of work to build portfolio's.

I'd be happy to help, and I won't expect payment. PM me or check out the site for the 'collective' I'm trying to put together to contact me.

I have nothing but time on my hands, so if you let me know exactly what you want doing, I'll do my best to 'satisfy your needs'. No inuendo intended.

Iain

Sorry, Sunchaser.

I misread your post, I still don't fully understand what you are looking for. If I could see your short and hear the music you plan (or planned) to use, I should still be able to help though.

If there is something you're aiming to emulate I'll have a swatch at that too before I attempt to start dishing out advice.

(Unrelated) I see you're in Dundee? I studied in Perth, fantastic music college up there but I must admit I'm so relieved to be in Glasgow now.

I think what the OP is asking is how to edit music that has already been recorded.

A quick list of the tools you have available (NLE, DAW, audio plug-ins, Beat Detective, etc.) and what you want to do with the pieces of music would be a help. Also, how much experience do you have with music - other than listening to it?:lol:

You figure out the length of the cue and the length of piece of music you have. Will you have to lengthen or shorten the piece?

Identify each transition point - intros, verses, choruses, bridges, instrumentals (if there are vocals), endings, suspensions, etc. - in the piece of music and figure out the lengths of each segment. There may be a "bridging passage" that you could double up (or cut in half) to add (or reduce) time. If you have an audio plug-in like Serato Pitch'n'Time you can change keys and speed up or slow down the audio (sometimes that extra two seconds on the end of a cue can make the difference).

The way that I do it is to run the song and put a marker at each transition point. Create a whole bunch of copies of the original audio and cut each of those up according to the markers. BTW, you have to be very precise with the lengths of the audio clips you are creating, they have to start and stop exactly on the "One" of the beat. You can then line up the "One" transients with the wave shape of the original track. Once you have the timing correct you fool around with crossfading so you don't have that obvious hard cut. I've done as little as a 1/8 beat to eight complete measures.

Just as with any other discipline it take a while to wrap your head around it. I'm here if you have any more questions.

Back