• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Timing

Before I start breaking out musicals and timing the minutes and scenes between songs, maybe someone has an answer. I'm not a big movie musical lover. So, of course I'm going to make one.

Can you piggyback songs? Trouble finishes one song, and there's a short exchange between herself and her mother, and she breaks into another song. Is it too quick to gain any kind of momentum? I'm thinking songs should be spread out for at least a scene or so before hitting another one.

Anyone have any expertise in this?

Thanks.

I don't have any expertise, but i am a musical fan in general... In general back to back songs can be a little intense, but it depends on the songs in question, like how over/understated they are, how similar in terms of song sound (they should either be really similar or really diff...) Also, often at the end of movie musicals two "big" songs follow in relatively rapid succession, for climatic affect or whatnot.

Since you aren't a fan, have you been doing musical movie catchup? for me, usually the best way to learn what works and more importantly what i like is to just watch as many genre examples as possible. Also, I'd make sure you are watching contemporary movie musicals, and not just classics, because I think that is a better indication to what song placement works for audiences these days.

Back