Indoor Mic: Samson C02's, anyone..?

Hi all, and especially Alcove!

Dumb Question Corner again, courtesy of me.

Now, if I've got this right... Shotguns for outside, Hypercardioids for inside. Can't totally remember why now, but isn't it something to do with shotguns having nodes in the waveform inside?

Now - what would be the difference between using a hypercardioid inside, and a cardioid? The Samson CO2's seem to in general get good reviews, and I was wondering about the suitability of them for indoor location sound on my tradition nano-budget..?

Cheers all

You only need one.

The Samsons are okay if you are a wannabe musician; they are usually used as overheads for drum recording. They are not recommended for film work. They are not very sensitive, so unless your talent is going to be screaming their lines or you can absolutely guarantee that the mic will always be within three inches of the source material they are not recommended. They are very "colored" meaning they impart their own sound to the source material. Mics for production dialog use should be very "transparent", giving the most realistic representation of the source material possible.

If you want some info on mics - types, polar/pick-up patterns, etc. - the Wikipedia article isn't too bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone

Back