Is there a reason for this?

I don't get it. I have been checking out multiple boards and looking at a bunch of short films lately and I continuously run into the same thing over and over. Somebody post their video or a link to their work and have a saying similar to this "Hey, this isn't very good and I'm not a professional so certain aspects of it are really terrible. Also we shot it in like two hours and edited it in one. But check it out and leave comments." After reading that why would I want to check anything out and leave any kind of comment. What I just got done reading was "Hey I put no effort into this and it really really really sucks. But check it out any way and say exactly what I just did." What is the point of that? Are you trying to lower are expectations? If you are giving me a preconceived notion before I watch the video then you have already failed. Just tell us that you made this short film and would love for us to check it out and maybe offer some feedback on what you can work on for next time. I will come up with my own conclusions and thoughts about your work. Be proud of what you accomplished and put extra time into it. Anyone else feel this way or just me?

It's the YouTube Nation, man! It's never been easier to make movies and present them to an audience, so millions of people are. But of those millions, only a handful have true passion for the art and craft of filmmaking. The rest are screwing around with cameras. The reason these folks knock their material before you even get a chance to see it is precisely because they aren't that invested in it. They figure "I already know it sucks, so you can't hurt me. But its so easy to have an audience, why SHOULDN'T I have an audience?" They aren't looking for criticism; they are looking for praise. If you aren't interested in giving praise, don't bother. Save your critical eye for an artist who truly cares about what he or she has made.

I don't mind someone telling me what their limitations were before I see a project, but I have no interest in looking at something that the creator has deemed terrible. What a colossal waste of time when there are so many GOOD movies I barely have time to watch!

And I also believe the proper response to criticism is merely to listen and reflect...if it's bogus, just reject it. If it's valid, take it to heart. If someone says "you're audio is terrible" and you already know that, well...then that makes two of you.

My guess is people are afraid of rejection and criticism so they are preparing their own minds for what is about to happen. That way they don't build their hopes up too high for them to come crashing down. Sort of like applying for a job you really want and saying 'I don't really have any skills for it but'
I agree. At some point you must face reality in that you will recieve rejection and someone will be brutally honest with your hard work. You put a lot of yourself into it, you are opening yourself up so accept the fact someone wont like it or you. Its a hard thing to face but its reality.
So be honest to yourself and let the audience be the judge.

Great points all around. I was just making sure I wasn't the only one out there. I can understand people being afraid of rejection and criticism but this is part of film/video production. It is how you get better at your craft. I personally think if you just let people go in with an open mind that they will be more receptive to your piece. Not to mention most of the people on this board and other boards aren't in the business of being jerks. I feel the majority of us try to be as honest and helpful as possible. I know when I received feedback for my short movie people didn't belittle me. They simply said what they thought and how I can improve for next time. Just my opinion though.

I agree with both Uranium City and Libby. I also feel
the reason is much broader and it involves they way
our society has changed in the last 30 years. Kids born
in the mid 1980's grew up with what I call the "Mr.
Rogers" mentality. No attack on the amazing Fred Rogers
but the attitude that "You are good because you are you."
has deep ramifications. Giving awards for simply being on
a sports team creates devastating expectations in many
people.

"They aren't looking for criticism; they are looking for praise."

They have been given praise most of their lives - and for
doing very little. It's difficult to move past that when that's
the way teachers, parents and the government has been
treating you your entire life.

But these people are smart enough to know that they aren't
always treated this way. So they qualify their "work" with the
hope others will not point out the bad, but only praise the good.

It reminds me of my nephew who made gingerbread cookies. He put so much work into making them and before I was allowed to look and taste them he said 'they aren't really good'. But I told him they were fabulous and he lit up and went on about all the work he did to make them (with his mother of course).

And that's a great story. That's what we do for family
and friends.

But as some point, if your nephew keeps making terrible
cookies, he needs to be told. A 12 year old who gets that
kind of praise from family members over and over is going
to be hurt in the real world - and very soon.

Of course if the cookies were excellent....

And that's a great story. That's what we do for family
and friends.

cookies, he needs to be told. A 12 year old who gets that
kind of praise from family members over and over is going
to be hurt in the real world - and very soon.

Of course if the cookies were excellent....

He's six right now and actually the cookies weren't too bad.

Well maybe Hollywood should be more honest too. Just be up front and state:

This movie is crap. Its too long and the story has been told too many times to be told in a different style. The jokes are stale and the only thing laughable in this movie is the fact that you are spending your hard earned money and time to sit through it. Not to mention the actors are overpaid, over rated and stoned.
Thanks for taking the time to see the movie and we hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
cookies, he needs to be told.

Furthermore, part of any artist's coming of age (regardless of medium) is being handed that first critical beat down. If you can take it, then you probably have what it takes to continue and try again. If it makes you want to give up...then you probably should. I run a music conservatory for my day job and every month without fail some mother will call and say "the trombone teacher was so mean to my son! He wanted to be a professional trombone player some day, but now he wants to quit!" The response is always the same: "If the mere act of my criticism is enough to make him want to quit, how on earth do you think he'll ever be a professional?"

Back