• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting car interior at night?

Hi! I'm filming a scene at night of two people talking in a parked car in front of a house. Would anyone have suggestions on how to light this? I was thinking about small lights that I could gaffer tape to the dash, or maybe a small China ball if it could fit...I'm not real well-versed in types of bulbs/wattage though...

Hi!

Shoot a light (can light, pepper, whatever) through the front of the windshield. What I've found that works great also, is get a little 'bar light' and place it some where on the dashboard...or on the laps of the actors.

Then you can finish the shot off by throwing a rim light on the car from 3 qts rear.

If you Google 'lighting a car scene'...you will find a ton of forum conversations.

Last edited:
Hi!

Shoot a light (can light, pepper, whatever) through the front of the windshield. What I've found that works great also, is get a little 'bar light' and place it some where on the dashboard...our on the laps of the actors.

Then you can finish the shot off by throwing a rim light on the car from 3 qts rear.

Thanks Michael! Sorry, could you expand on what a "bar light" is? I'm not familiar with the term.

Thanks Michael! Sorry, could you expand on what a "bar light" is? I'm not familiar with the term.

Here is what I refer to as a 'bar light':

http://www.libo-lighting.com/upload/product/2009-11/07085430.jpg

Get a couple of these for your set...they can be used in all kinds of situations.

Also, get a few packages of small LED click lights: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41plFnMXaqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

You can stick those anywhere you need (most have adhesive sticky on the back).

Last edited:
I wouldn't, those fluorescent bulbs are not designed for filmmaking and can flicker or appear green on tape/film.
www.kinoflo.com are for film.

If you white balance around it and make sure your shutter is set up correctly...not sure the actual term...it won't flicker. You have to iris down or something...I forget. We do it all the time, it's fine.

As long as the actual bulb isn't on camera, you won't get a flicker. The light hitting your face won't flicker. :)

If you can't get it to look good...use those LED stickies I linked.

Last edited:
If the car has a sun roof you have a lot of room to light to make it look like the dome light.

Kino has a 12v kit that you can probably find to rent depending on where you are located and your budget. There are also 12" and 9" kinos if the car happens to be stationary, but the 12v kit is sufficient to get the effect of "dash light" illuminating the actors faces.

Works fairly well for "shooting those "strapped to the hood, through the windshield two shots."

Edit: Just noticed you are shooting a parked car, so lots of options, dome light, dash lights, orange "streetlight" spilling through the windows. For that last one, farious fixtures could work depending on how much light output you need, with a little dash of cto to suggest the amber glow of a streetlight. Unless it is a neighborhood with whiter streetlights, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Those bar lights won't flicker as they are run on a DC current... they they plug in to the car or a wall outlet, they will potentially pulse or flicker as the current shows its inconstancy (although on a generator, even tungsten lights can pulse). for the green, you can buy magenta ("minus green") sleeves to go around the bulbs to get rid of that green chemical spike from the gases inside the bulb.

I would recommend these also as a great low-budget solution (provided you have a camera that will work well in relatively low light).

Heck, I've plugged in a desk lamp into the car charger before and that worked. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions, I have an HVX200A and my cinematographer is saying his small hand-held photo-camera works better in low light...I guess we'll have to see.

The 200a is better in low light than the 200. It shouldn't be a problem. As I was saying before, you're going to blast a light through the front windshield for the main key light. You can also turn on the dome or the front dome lights (the ones that sit nearer to the mirror if you have those).

In addition to the key light, you'll use the bar lights or LED lights under or in front of the actors.

Then to accent the car, as well as possible hitting the actors a touch, you'll want to rim light the scene from behind 3qrts.

You shouldn't have a problem with low-light at all. Especially with the 'a' model.

Good luck.

Il ike LEDs from the front as they can be absorbed as dash panel lighting by the viewer. Hokeyness becomes more of a ditraction... a good example of this is Billy Ray Cyrus' "where am I Gonna Live When I get Home" music video where the DP insisted on just using one of those touch dome lights her boaght from a bad informercial for people who want closet lighting. lol
You don't have the break the bank either. I've found dimmable headband LED flashlight setups at hardware stores for as little as 8 bucks. I use em for interviews in bars and full time on a paranormal show I produce. They are awesome. I don't care if I look like a dork while wearing one. ;)
You can also attach single omni-direction LEDS found on ebay to a single 9 volt and light subtly from different directions. This is reeeeaaalllyy handy when in a pinch for space and your camera angles show all.

Back