• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Work Stations

Just was wondering what everyone works on? I myself has Pro Tools, Reason, and Ableton. The reason I ask is, when questions arise. I will know who to go to for advice.

I do mostly audio post, but still do some music.

I'm currently using Pro Tools and Digital Performer.

If you are composing and recording score your work platform doesn't matter very much as long as your able to stay in sync, you have a solid work flow with which you are comfortable and you can deliver in the format(s) requested. You should also be prepared to deliver stems (wet and dry), which is the norm for big budget projects. Of greater importance when it comes to audio, in my opinion, is the room and the speakers. When I receive scores there always seems to be something "wrong" with them - too bassy, brash mids, hyped high end, etc. - that is usually due to a poor mixing environment.

Whats are stems?

Stems are the combined tracks (sub-mixes) of specific audio categories. In audio post it would be a dialog stem, a Foley stem, a sound effects stem, an ambience stem and a music stem.

For the score it would be upper strings (violins & violas), lower strings (cellos & basses), brass (upper/lower), reeds (upper/lower), percussion, etc. Synth stems a little trickier; stabs, pads, atmos, etc. Solo instruments always have their own stem. You will, of course, find that there are numerous exceptions to the rules (small groups [trios, quartets, etc.]) so you are expected to use your intuition and discretion.

Wet and dry being with effects and without?

Correct. Most of the time the music editors and re-recording mixers will use the dry stems, but when it comes to synths the effects are sometimes integral to the sound. That is why you provide both wet and dry stems.

I use no external apps or devices (other than for IOs)
edit2.jpg

I do it all in the Avid. I simply mixdown tracks as I need to and continue to stack. I utilize plugins as needed but seldom need em, really. I've always said I'll move on to bigger better audio apps as needed. I still say that. It's been a couple of decades though. ;)

Back