• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What filter to use?

I'm shooting my "Prison Experiment" in about two weeks and I'm just getting everything together. I'm wondering what kind of filter I'm going to want to shoot with? I'm shooting in a warehouse with fairly bright lights, and I'm bringing my light set as well (I'll probably use it mainly to illuminate my actors' faces). Any suggestions for a filter? I was thinking a Tiffen Soft F/X 3 Filter? Any suggestions?

What was behind your decision to use that particular filter? Sounds like an odd choice for a stark prison environment. :)

The only filters I'd say for sure - ND (if needed at times) & UV (lens protection)

There's too many other variables, really, to say. Add to that the 'look' that you expect each filter to bring. Dunno.

x2

There are as many reasons to show action in depth as there are to take a shallow dof to pull something out of the image and focus upon it. Having the light to put in the scene and, if needed, the ND to compensate will give you latitude to work within.

x2 on the "Matrix" filter too.

Other general stuff:

Do you know the approx color temp of the warehouse lights? Will your lights need to be corrected one direction or another with gel to match them (and loosing a bit of output at the same time), or will the different temps give you a desirable effect.

Were you thinking of contrasting the softer image against the environment, or is there a different effect you are seeking from running a camera filter. I guess the question is do you have an image in mind, or are you experimenting with different looks?

Back