• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Green Screen Lighting

It's all about lighting evenly.

I use 1k lights with a softbox attachment (for diffusion) to make an even wash.

You still need a couple of lights for the actual subject, of course. :)

I second Zensteve. It's all about being even on the screen. You also don't want the green to bounce on your actors so put them far enough away so that won't happen. And remember Key, Back, and fill lighting. All important. Diffusion is the key to even lighting. Some say it is putting as much light as you can on the green screen. They would be wrong, you want enough light but it has to be even. I can't seem to stress that enough to people. Good luck.

Green spill is definitely not your friend either. In fact, given the choice I'd take a shot with shadows on the green screen over one that's got massive amounts of green spill on the subject(s) any day, shadows can be easily removed with a second pass of the keyer, spill is a bit more work to make it look right. ;)

What about using chroma key outdoors?

I have read that blue works better
and to face the screen toward the sun (north?)
subjects 5+ feet away from screen.

If i shoot later in the day (in Cali) say 6PM will the
daylight be sufficient/even..etc?

any ideas?

Hey guys, in addition to this question and Will's remark on the spill, what is the best way to get rid of the spillage of green? Lights from the rears of the subject? Or from the side? What kind of light? (I am going to do some green screen stuff for a music video, so some advice would be great.. :))

Reducing green spill is a four-fold solution, I've found...

1) Put the actors far enough away from the screen.
2) Back to kindergarten! Remember the color wheel? Use a magenta gel on your character's kicker/backlight. Magenta + green = black, so that should cancel out any green spill you'll be getting. Sounds wonderful, but in reality doesn't take it all.
3) Find out what in particular is reflecting. White reflects way more so than black. Try to put your characters in patterned clothes, warm colors, or dark colors.
4) Use a good screen keyer with a spill suppression feature. It will work to subtract the green while not making those pixels 'invisible'. If this isn't possible, create a matte around your actors and then dial down the saturations on just your greens.

Back